Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 10:08 PM

63 posts, read 283,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
You are responsible for your own outcomes. And remember, this is Capitalism and there are winners and losers. Take action to become a winner and not a loser.

BINGO, we have a winner...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
You can do anything you want if you put your mind to it !
Aim for the stars, dare to dream!
If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

It feels good to know that everyone's life can be boiled down to a few cliches and soundbites.

Not sure if you read the paper or not, but I'm guessing that rapid property appreciation you enjoyed over the last 20 years is gonna be around for my generation. That's OK though, because if you work hard and try your best, anything is possible! Also, I'd like a pony.

Your minor attempt at sardonic wit noted...
You're undoubtedly right, you will not be successful here.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
I have a relative at Qualcomm, she says that they are not laying off but are doing a hiring freeze for 2009. The company I work for is doing pretty much the same.
The Company I work for is only planning to fill vacancies... no projected workforce gains for 2009... expect many private sector firms in the industry to do the same.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-03-2009 at 10:38 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
But to those of you feeling the pain and complaining, question is "What are you gonna do about it?"
Re-read the OP. Re-read the title of this thread. The question is not about what I or another intends to do. We're allowed to have a conversation about San Diego and it's economy that includes negative aspects without being considered "complainers","whiners", or "losers". Posters in other forums do it all the time, and most people don't get too bent out of shape by it. Is it possible that this is a recurring topic because there is some truth to it?

San Diego is either "Too expensive" with "low paying jobs" or it isn't. Obviously a certain amount of that is subjective. However to say that it is (at least for the majority of us) doesn't make San Diego a bad place. I think most people would agree, even people who love San Diego (like me).

That some just can't make it happen in one of the most expensive areas of the country (fact) with one of the lower median incomes in the country (fact) should not really be much of a debate.

And at least for a certain poster on this thread, I do see snobbery. I grew up in a wealthy NYC suburban area, and I know it when I see it. Soundbites about capitalism might make you feel good, but they've really got no place in a rational discussion about a regional economy.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-03-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivenhain View Post
Your minor attempt at sardonic wit noted...
You're undoubtedly right, you will not be successful here.
You shouldn't take this all so personally. With all your success, you shouldn't worry so much about how others feel.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Not sure if you read the paper or not, but I'm guessing that rapid property appreciation you enjoyed over the last 20 years is gonna be around for my generation. That's OK though, because if you work hard and try your best, anything is possible! Also, I'd like a pony.
Speculators Bank on Appreciation

Investors look to Return on Investment.

A well placed purchase mutli-unit purchase has to provide a return... over time the mortgage is being paid down and equity increases...

Appreciation is only frosting on the cake...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Appreciation is only frosting on the cake...
For most of the homeowners in San Diego, appreciation was the primary wealth driver for the past 15-20 years, not investment income. It seems almost naive to suggest otherwise.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Gen Xers like me will not have anywhere near the number of opportunities that the baby boomers had; that's really just reality and I am dealing with it, not complaining.

I've done all the things you have mentioned for over 20 years and have a respectable little nest egg set aside, but not anywhere near enough to start thinking about retiring comfortably in 15-20 years. As for 401ks, I'm still curious to watch a generation of people live off of a 401k.
I fully expect Gen Xers will have increasing opportunities... opportunities that Boomers can't even fathom.

I've posted before about the 23 year old couple that were the first in their families to graduated with a college degree... had multiple job offers and at 24 made well over 200K... She is a Registered Nurse and he is a Police Officer both working in the SF Bay Area... they both choose professions with high demand and they do see a bright future... many more opportunities than their parents ever dreamed of...

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I fully expect Gen Xers will have increasing opportunities... opportunities that Boomers can't even fathom.
I sure hope so. Where I sit I see a lot of debt-addled workaholic boomers dying at their desks because they can't afford to retire and they need the health insurance. I don't know if I have the patience to wait another 10 years for a 60+ year old middle manager to retire.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
You shouldn't take this all so personally. With all your success, you shouldn't worry so much about how others feel.

I take it personally when folks that aren't fully invested in my beautiful region blame other folks or external conditions for their lack of success. I do know that if you want to make it here you can. If you're unsure and have one foot mentally out the door, it's not going to happen.

Truly, the naysayers really should move and leave those of us who are committed to San Diego to flourish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego