Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 01:33 PM

20 posts, read 49,690 times

Advertisements

I have a racoon the size of a dog living outside my apartment. I am terrified of it and want it gone. Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 03:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
We use the hose on the rascals when they are swipin the neighbors cat food. Get one of those super soakers. The only time you have to worry about them is if they have lil ones which they will protect. Most people have raccoons living around them and don't even know it.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:08 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
The adults can bite if you corner them or try to touch them but the babies are quite friendly and will come walking up to you trying to play or beg food. An adult certainly isn't going to go out of its way to hurt you and more then likely he'll leave you alone if you leave him alone. In college I lived in Isla Vista (near Santa Barbara) and we had tons of raccoons. Just make sure you close your garbage can lid and don't leave food out side and you'll be fine. After all nature was here first so give the guy a bit of space and he'll ignore you.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:11 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We use the hose on the rascals when they are swipin the neighbors cat food. Get one of those super soakers. The only time you have to worry about them is if they have lil ones which they will protect. Most people have raccoons living around them and don't even know it.
When I was younger we'd pet, play with, and even feed the little ones and nothing bad ever happened. I know people say that's a bad thing to do but the little guys are so cute and they were honestly very friendly when they're young. The adults I wouldn't mess with unless they were socialized around people at a young age; a friend of mine had a pet raccoon and he was great fun but honestly annoy as hell because you literally couldn't leave him alone for a minute or else he'd start tearing the place apart out of curiosity.

Old 03-15-2009, 05:32 PM

64 posts, read 443,350 times
Racoons hate cayenne pepper. Sprinkle it around your yard and it should keep them away. They walk with their noses to the ground so it should keep them away. It worked for our raccoon problem

Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM

87 posts, read 379,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
When I was younger we'd pet, play with, and even feed the little ones and nothing bad ever happened. I know people say that's a bad thing to do but the little guys are so cute and they were honestly very friendly when they're young. The adults I wouldn't mess with unless they were socialized around people at a young age; a friend of mine had a pet raccoon and he was great fun but honestly annoy as hell because you literally couldn't leave him alone for a minute or else he'd start tearing the place apart out of curiosity.

aaaahhhh, can you say Rabies?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:21 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,399,551 times
Don't worry--he won't hurt you.
Use the pepper idea--a lot of it. He will go away. If not, then call your local animal services -- they will help some.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times
Raccoons are wild animals & should be kept at arm's length for safety. They will kill small animals. My uncle lost a dozen parakeets [in a cage] and an adult goose to raccoons.

Old 03-16-2009, 06:38 PM

95 posts, read 388,771 times
Just ignore them....they can be dangerous and carry rabies so stay away, I feel sorry for them I know they have a real tough life and they swipe my dogs food...I kinda look the other way.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:50 PM

111 posts, read 461,148 times
We had problems with rats especially after the wild fires (they lost their homes thus had to come into the city and raid our back yards for food and a place to sleep). I got rid of them by removing ALL sources of food - not even crumbs on the floor; blocking all entrances under gates and fences; and removing any junk so they had no place to hide. The rats went away - I think they went to our neighbors house who had food all over their back yard. so I suggest that you do the same. The raccoons are looking for food, so if you remove the food, they won't come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego