Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,724 times

Advertisements

Its been my experience as a buyer that I am doing all the leg work of finding properties to buy here in San Diego. The only thing my real estate agent has done for me is print out some offer forms when I am ready to put an offer in on a property. I research all the comps, I pay for a subscription to foreclosure sites, I recommend how much I want to offer etc.

I would rather just submit these forms to the listing agent myself, where does one get these? Also if anyone has a good real estate attorney in town they would recommend for closing please send me a message.

Last edited by toy4two; 04-21-2009 at 10:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,153,706 times
An easy way to go is to call the listing agent directly and talk to them, they may be willing to represent both sides. Specify that they will get, say, 1% buyer's commission (as opposed to 3% that would be paid if you had your own agent).

Forms you're talking about are standardized by California Association of Realtors. The offer form is called RPA-CA (California Residential Purchase Agreement and Joint Escrow Instructions). You can buy a stack of blank forms at store.car.org. Or you can try to google them.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,911 times
I would not rely upon the listing agent to also represent you as well. Even though agents can do dual agency, it is not recommended because where does their interest fall? Certainly not with you when they also represent the person who gave them the listing. Get yourself an attorney and utilize an agent that is certified for buyers. This will give you all the protection you need plus the service. You can get an attorney for about $350 to $550 flat rate - the attorney does not have an interest in the outcome, meaning, it does not matter whether you close or not. Agents, even your own, have a financial interest in the outcome of their case (closing your deal) because if they do not close, they do not get paid.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM

142 posts, read 578,507 times
When I bought a home in Oregon, I found it on
my own by driving through the area that I
liked the best,

spoke to the seller, on Saturday, put down
the Earnest money,

on Monday I went to a mortgage company,
and a broker handled ALL the paper work
entirely, at a low fee,

saving the seller a comission

and me whatever fees I would have had
to pay through a realtor.

The seller was not listed with an agent,
when I saw her 'for sale by owner' sign.

A 6 or 7 per cent commission for paperwork
is sometimes overwhelming, when you need
every penny just to re-locate.

This technique might work for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:59 AM

982 posts, read 1,100,738 times
First of all, the seller pays the commission in CA so you're not technically paying your agent, the seller is. I know they figure that in the price of their home but it's already figured in, so they're probably not going to knock off 3% b/c the listing agent will tell them not to b/c she/he in effect will be doing all the work instead of working in conjunction with your agent. If you're trying to get a foreclosure, then FOR SURE use a realtor who has experience in that arena b/c it's a mess. And lastly, CA is an escrow state, not an attorney state. If you manage to negotiate and get an accepted offer on your own, your next step is to find a good title/escrow company and they'll take it from there. Just make sure you know all about timelines, disclosures, inspections, repair requests...it's harder than you think.

I would HIGHLY recommend finding a new realtor, not going w/o a realtor.

I have a license but don't represent buyers or sellers. I just do my own stuff. I do know a lot of realtors if you need a recommendation on a new one, DM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: