Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,471 times

Advertisements

Hey there
I'm in my mid 20s and moved to LA last summer from a really laid-back part of the country...and found that I absolutely hate LA. I'm desperately trying to move out to a nicer city.
I recently visited SD for a couple of days and fell in love with it instantly, but I'm not sure if my impression of it was accurate. I felt like it was a LOT more relaxed than LA and not as busy...people seemed genuine and friendly...ugh I loved it!
I'm wondering though, what is traffic like during rush hour? Is it anything like LA? Are the freeways extremely congested?
I might end up with a job in downtown SD that pays about 4k/mo...
So where can I find an affordable place to rent that is fun for a super laid back, 20-something chick...that is also as close as possible to downtown? Ideally in biking distance...
Any suggestions at all would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 10:02 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Generally speaking, no ... SD freeways are nowhere near as congested as LA or OC. But there is rush hour traffic here. Because of where I live, I'm mostly familiar with traffic heading south on the 5 from North County into downtown SD. It's stop and go for a couple miles up to Carlsbad or so between the hours of 7 and 9 or so. There is also pretty bad summer traffic heading south into San Diego on the weekends. Lots of people from LA and points further north come to SD, or go to Mexico and Arizona on the weekends, and they have to pass through SD to get there. There is traffic in other areas of SD, for sure, but it's mostly limited to typical rush hours, not like LA and OC where it mostly goes all day, no matter what time. I lived in OC for 10 years after growing up in SD and I could never understand how much traffic there was. It was amazingly frustrating. Good luck on your move.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,471 times
Cool, thanks for the info!

Old 05-17-2009, 02:24 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,574,731 times
Here is my post on the traffic situation here in San Diego County.A lot of people said it was pretty correct

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...ml#post7397566

Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
San Diego traffic isn't nearly as congested as LA's traffic. But many more drivers here are clueless and/or selfish and therefore dangerous, compared to the drivers in LA. One of my friends explained to me that the police will ticket LA drivers for impeding traffic, so they behave better.

If you have that well-paying a job in downtown SD then you might be able to find a fun neighborhood that's close enough to avoid commuting. So rush hour traffic might be the transit driver's problem and not yours. :-)

Old 05-17-2009, 09:59 PM

190 posts, read 704,654 times
Yeah, you probably will not deal with freeway traffic at all since most of the "fun" neighborhoods not on the beach surround Downtown anyway. They are also within biking distance. Biking culture is alive and well in San Diego.

Sounds like you will fit right in the neighborhood called South Park.

(check out Velo Cult bike shop in South Park once you get here if you're serious about biking on SD! They are partnering with a whole bunch of businesses on 30th street to give 10% discounts to anyone riding a bike)

Old 05-17-2009, 11:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,317,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertgirl View Post
Hey there
I'm in my mid 20s and moved to LA last summer from a really laid-back part of the country...and found that I absolutely hate LA. I'm desperately trying to move out to a nicer city.
I recently visited SD for a couple of days and fell in love with it instantly, but I'm not sure if my impression of it was accurate. I felt like it was a LOT more relaxed than LA and not as busy...people seemed genuine and friendly...ugh I loved it!
I'm wondering though, what is traffic like during rush hour? Is it anything like LA? Are the freeways extremely congested?
I might end up with a job in downtown SD that pays about 4k/mo...
So where can I find an affordable place to rent that is fun for a super laid back, 20-something chick...that is also as close as possible to downtown? Ideally in biking distance...
Any suggestions at all would be appreciated!
Thanks!!
San Diego tends to have a rush hour in the morning and around 5pm but the rest of the time there is very little traffic unless there is some sort of special event (sports game, the Del Mar Fair, etc...)

For fun neighborhoods for some one in their mid to late 20's try North Park, Little Italy, the Marina District, and maybe OB if you like the laid back beach vibe.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:14 PM

291 posts, read 957,974 times
Downtown SD is a fun place and if you can live there it is a major plus. There are so many renovated & new buildings now. I know a lot of young professionals are now looking into living in downtown but I have no idea how much it costs. Another area to look into is Pacific Beach or Ocean Beach. These areas are not too far from downtown and pretty laid back. Avoid living anywhere north of San Diego, specially in the north county, if you want to stay away from traffic. I can't speak for the beach traffic from downtown on the weekends but maybe someone else can.

Bottom line, the traffic in San Diego can be pretty bad but it really depends where you live and work. I suggest living as close as you can to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego