Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2009, 08:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,458 times

Advertisements

My husband's job is relocating our family to the Carlsbad area. We are making a trip out the first week in June and are trying to research the area to figure out where we would like to live. We are a young family (in our 30's) with one child (1 yr old). We would like to be in a family oriented area with good elementary schools. We also enjoy getting out for activities and shopping. He is willing to commute up 1 hour (less is preferred).
Any advice on areas and/or neighborhoods to target would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 09:17 AM

117 posts, read 340,882 times
I teach toddlers and one of the little boys in my class, the parents and this little boy just moved to Carlsbad. I visited Carlsbad and it's a very cute little community. Seemed family oriented since I saw a lot of families walking around.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,854,001 times
Encinitas is just next door to Carlsbad. I commute to work by Palomar Airport Road and it's only about 20 minutes door to door, so it's very doable. Nothing wrong with Carlsbad, but Encinitas has some nice points too.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:11 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
What kind of home would you like to find on what kind of budget? If you can swing Carlsbad, then just live there. Short commute, close to the beach, lots of shopping opportunities....if we could afford it, we would totally live there.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,297 times
My husband is being recruited to a University in Carlsbad. I am trying to research which community/suburb is best for my two children such as schools-both Elementary and Middle school; a good sense of community; I assume living in Carlsbad will be cost prohibitive and since we will taking a major cut in pay and starting over in our business, we will be extremely budget conscious. Any advice on where to get some solid information? Also, the state is in financial trouble, what does that mean for the people long and short term? Is it affecting schools and the quality of education? Does anyone have a feel for it?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:42 AM

204 posts, read 641,971 times
My area in Shadowridge, Vista (bordering Carlsbad) has Lake Elementary and Madison Middle which appear to be decent schools and you can find more reasonable housing costs.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:22 AM

95 posts, read 388,718 times
You can buy a condo in Tanglewood for around 200 or a little more.3 bed 2 1/2 bath(1500)....all amenities like tennis courts,poools, etc... close to beach and walk to mall. They sit on a hill and dont need AC because of continual ocean breezes.This is the cheapest area of Carlsbad to live.Stay in Carlsbad if you can help it.I lived there for 10 yrs and loved the location.Granted, its not Aviara but it is Carlsbad.Your payment would be equal to rent for one of these.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:48 AM

140 posts, read 488,877 times
Carlsbad is great family town, I would suggest renting in the area for a while before buying.

People tend to make big mistakes when then come in cold new to an area, and regret it big time later. Do research on school district. Carlsbad schools are very good, however parts of Carlsbad are in other school districts. I know alot of folks in situation who bought in last few years, many are now underwater and are essentially stuck, some going into foreclosure.

There are some good deals emerging in Carlsbad. Although some additional depreciation is possible, many believe that the major price drops are behind us. Housing prices will likely plod along with low single digit growth for many years, with single depreciation for couple years due to current inventory overhang. Of course, all bet off if inflation kicks in and mortgage rates jump (mortgage rates are highly correlated to the 10 year Treasury yield). Better hope the Chinese keep buying our government debt!

Check out the local piggington site for good info on neighborhoods

Here's a recent post. some tongue-in-cheek. But essential advice is rent before buy.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-d...san-diego.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego