Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM

4 posts, read 49,771 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are committed to moving from Philadelphia, the question is to where.... We have both lived in Philly about 4 yrs, but we are originally midwesterners (he's from near Columbus, I'm from near Pittsburgh). We are looking for a location that has nicer weather than Philly, which SD obviously offers. Also important are the type of people -- we're tired of the pace of life on the East Coast! It seems like everyone, from the people we pass on the street to the clerks at Rite Aid, are in a rush and don't want to deal with you. We enjoy outdoor activities and want a place that will allow for these interests -- jogging, biking, hiking. I'm also keen on yoga, and the bf would love a good art scene. I've heard a lot of stories about the East and West Coasts being totally different worlds...IS that so? I'd love to hear more about the prevailing opinions in SD to work, pace of life, meeting the neighbors...general quality of life stuff. I'd be especially interested in the opinions of people who've moved to SD from the midwest or Philly. Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 11:17 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,477,668 times
- no East Coast attitude, no grumpiness
- no public transit
- no walkability
- casual, laid back culturally
- suburban, few dense urban centers
- single-family home-centric (although that is changing)
- more diverse and integrated
- more conspicuous consumption
- more focus on fitness and outdoor activities

Yes it's a different world. West Coasters don't care about the "old country" or the "way it's always been". It's more progressive and modern. That said I miss that connection to history that is such a part of the East Coast.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 PM

20 posts, read 34,470 times
Don't expect to see any Broadway plays. Restaurants are B rated.
The pace is at a snail's crawl.
It just seems backwards to me.... and I know it well.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:57 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
^^Your post would be more credible if you knew what you were talking about.

Are you aware that San Diego has one of the best regional theaters in the country and that many plays that started here have gone on to Broadway? Ever heard of Jersey Boys, Tommy or How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying? All of those premiered at the La Jolla Playhouse. The Old Globe created The Full Monty and How The Grinch Stole Christmas before going on to Broadway. Sure, we don't get every major production or concert tour, but we hold our own.

Backwards? How backwards can we be when 40% of our residents have college degrees, which is one of the highest percentages in the nation? http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/elearning/?article=educatedcities (broken link) Did you also notice that we are in the top ten when it comes to highest median household incomes?

B Grade Restaurants? Says who? You? Chino Farm is one of the best organic farms in the country and many restaurants in town use only their produce. http://www.yelp.com/biz/ppdr-NJE6c2nbaLg0zl0VQ

Old 04-14-2007, 01:09 AM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Apologies to the original poster for my diatribe.

I've been to Philly and all I can say that San Diego is everything Philly isn't. Sassberto has it right by saying we are more suburban than urban, but we do have a few pockets of cool neighborhoods (Nothing like Philly's Center City, though). If being outdoors is your thing, then San Diego won't disappoint. People here are mostly mellow and meeting your neighbors will depend on what area you decide to live in. You and your boyfriend should consider living at the beach (Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach) if you're seeking that California lifestlye. Lots of younger people live there and they seem to always be having fun.

Quality of life is still pretty high, despite the numerous negatives - high cost of living, rent, gas, etc. We gotta keep the riff raff out, right?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:35 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
The nicer the weather, the nicer the people. Bad weather makes people rude, inconsiderate and nasty.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:02 PM

105 posts, read 244,160 times
I grew up in SD (begining in Chula Vista, finishing HS in Encinitas), & then moved to North County (Fallbrook, Vista, Escondido, etc...) - and then I moved to New England...WOW, what a difference! I don't know much much about Philly, I [i]do [i]know that PA just isn't for me. If it were not for the fact that my son is entering college in Boston & my daughter/grandson are in VA, I'd be back in San Diego in a heartbeat! No, it isn't the east coast, but that isn't a bad thing - what you over-pay in rent is made up in what you aren't paying in oil heat!!
Good luck to you in your hard-thinkintg!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,478 times
i grew up in philly (ridley township) and have called san diego home for the last 17 years. you ask about quality of life specifically jobs, pace of life and what the people are like. an important thing to know about the san diego job market is that salaries don't match the cost of living - sunshine tax as it is called. the housing market out here is outrageous and many people i know (even san diego natives) have been forced to move out of the city because they can't afford to buy a home. if you rent be prepared for high rent since what you may pay for a mortgage in philly will likely be rent in san diego. overall cost of living is very high - you will pay more for everything out here. those are the minuses i can think of. people in california are wonderful for the most part. there is definitely a nice mellow vibe out here - a slow pace of life (except for the freeways). as far as getting to know the neighbors ... hmmm well personally as an east coast transplant that has lived in california now longer than i ever did the east coast i'd say i prefer the east coast when it comes to hospitality. what you see is what you get in philly and even though that may sometimes be a bit abrupt and harsh people are a bit more real and well - neighborly. i love california but there are many independent souls out here and i have had many east coast transplants tell me they couldn't get use to the lack of community out here that you really take for granted on the east coast. as far as what kind of communities you can find there is something for eveyone really. san diego is a bit conservative and also a military town. there is arguably the last great california beach town and my home for the last 15 years - ocean beach - which imo is the gem of san diego. if a hippie beach town isn't what you are looking for there are many surburban towns in san diego that offer quite distinctive personalities and types of people.

definitely not an urban mecca and definitely not a cultural one either but there is a decent music scene, plenty of things for young people to do, unbeatable weather, mountains, beaches and deserts and the best shrimp tacos north of the border (although you won't be able to find a good hoagie to save your life). good luck.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
Despite what one poster said about San Diego, there's plenty to do and see.

It's a fairly fast paced city with nicer laid back (normal) people. You mentioned you like to hike, jog, etc. I remember San Diego recently being voted one of the best walkable cities in America. Mission Trails would probably suit you best for your outdoor activities that you listed.
http://www.mtrp.org/

Backwards? Far from it. Oregon is probably the most backwards place I ever lived in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego