Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:04 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times

Advertisements

Houston will be his 9th school district. On tonight's news, it was said that his history with school districts is only lasting a year at each one. So now SDCS has to find a new superintendent, and they apparently doesn't want to shell out the $$ for a head hunter to do a nationwide search, it's going to be concentrated in San Diego.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:09 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
He should move down in status to substitute teacher. SD was stupid to hire him with that job hopping record.

Old 08-26-2009, 10:34 AM

He should move down in status to substitute teacher. SD was stupid to hire him with that job hopping record.

Yes, you're right, but SDUSD does a lot of stupid things....

Old 09-10-2009, 08:43 PM

It's now official. Terry Grier has turned in his resignation. His last day with SDCS is September 18.

The search is now on for the next superintendent! And I wonder how long that one will stay.......

Old 09-10-2009, 08:51 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,930,762 times
Again, the ultimate blame should probably on the all too powerful Teacher Union. Other cities have reached a balance unlike backwards SD.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:12 PM

And they also don't have a Chief, Human Resources. He retired, and I guess no one wants his job.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:41 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Maybe there's more to the story. It is a bit lame that Terry Grier would bail on a four-year contract. Or is it?

One of my co-workers, with a Masters' Degree in physics, went to the trouble of getting a single-subject teaching certificate. He taught for a year at Hoover High, and then quit teaching. He said the kids were fine ... they were kids. He was disgusted with how poorly the San Diego Unified School District treats its teachers!

I can easily imagine projecting that upwards to how poorly they treat their higher-level employees. And it could also be that the San Diego Unified School District is so underfunded that no one can fix these sorts of problems.

I think we need more information, here.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Maybe there's more to the story. It is a bit lame that Terry Grier would bail on a four-year contract. Or is it?

He probably got fed up with the District.

One of my co-workers, with a Masters' Degree in physics, went to the trouble of getting a single-subject teaching certificate. He taught for a year at Hoover High, and then quit teaching. He said the kids were fine ... they were kids. He was disgusted with how poorly the San Diego Unified School District treats its teachers!

I have a friend who was a substitute teacher with the District for 25 years, and could never get a contract. Last July she was terminated, and they didn't even tell her. She found out that a teacher at a school she was subbing at told the principal that she made a racist remark, which she didn't. She's now subbing at Grossmont.

I can easily imagine projecting that upwards to how poorly they treat their higher-level employees. And it could also be that the San Diego Unified School District is so underfunded that no one can fix these sorts of problems.

I was terminated in January due to the fact that five women ove the course of my 3 1/2 years of employment decided they didn't like me for some reason, wrote me up, faxed it to HR, and I was subsequently terminated on two hours notice. I've had it with the school system, and am applying to go back into the federal government. It's just going to take a while, so I have to work for another school district (Chula Vista) in the meantime.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,468,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
If there was more information, or some secret sauce, it would make everyone feel better. But there isn't. It's just that bad.

San Diego isn't some big city where you take a lousy job and put up with it to get the name on the resume. San Diego is the city you're supposed to go to after you've proven yourself and you want that cushy, easy, high-paying job in the sunny locale. But the reality is that San Diego's schools are as screwed-up as LA's, and we're a city without the vision or political will to make big changes (LAUSD has quietly been turning lots of poor performing schools over to private charters).

You can fail miserably in LA or NY and every other little city will beg for you to come work there. But San Diego... no one really will care either way. Terry Grier just went from an also-ran school district in and also-ran city to the 4th biggest city in the country in 18 months! He had no idea what he was getting into in California... and he took the first chance he could to get out, just like the rest of them.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-12-2009 at 11:20 PM..

Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM

And the Deputy Superintenden that came with Terry Grier is going with him also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego