Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 02:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Not that San Diego is really terrible,but I think many think San Diego to be economically stronger and would be surprised to see that MN has a stronger economy... take a look at some of those figures... in some cases tens of thousands more jobs in MN.
Number of Fortune 500 companies in:
Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro: 31

San Diego Metro: 5 (and soon to be 4, with the departure of SAIC)
And the two metro areas are almost identical in population (about 3 million).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 02:40 PM

10 posts, read 23,250 times
For the sake of honest disussion let's agree that San Diegos border like all Mexican borders is seeing escaltion in violence. There's no need to argue.

In addition each of the cities I mention has a stronger and robust economy than San Diego. Again no need to argue.

So in that respect it seems to come down to the weather as the valid reason to stay. Is there anything else to add such as the hisory of California emerging from crisis? California always seems to if itself out but is that over now?

Anything more than just weather?

Old 10-16-2009, 02:45 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movnon View Post
Anything more than just weather?
Weather is just one of the intangibles that makes San Diego what it is - culture, topography, the ocean. But primarily it is climate and setting that makes San Diego unique and desirable.

When you factor those elements out, San Diego does not fare well in an apples-to-apples comparison, but the reality, supported by many on this forum, is that the weather and setting and intangible lifestyle elemeents are worth *more* than those other factors.

That is a personal issue - and different people have different answers. I think it's pretty obvious what the priorities are when someone says that "xxx is nice but I could never live there because they have winter". There is no absolute that makes one person value job growth over weather, it is different strokes for different folks. My opinion is that those who succeed in San Diego are those who's priorities are aligned with the areas strengths - and that those who are not aligned will struggle with it.

San Diego exists today because many, many people are willing to make a priority of great weather, oceans, and all the other things San Diego has to offer. I think only recently has that value proposition come into such sharp scrutiny as so many are struggling so profoundly to support themselves, and weather and topography are becoming secondary to the more basics needs of jobs and housing.

The reality for me is that it is almost november and I did not set foot on a beach or a surfboard this year. Didn't hike the backcountry. Didn't do much skateboarding either. I didn't take much advantage of the amazing scenery and weather, mostly because I spent a lot of time working so I could keep my job and support my family. I have reached a point in my life, where great weather is not at the top of my priority list. I would gladly accept several months of winter as a tradeoff for a better life for my kids. As such, have begun to look elsewhere to places that are better aligned with my new priorities. That is just my personal experience and I really have no vested interest in dissuading anyone else from their love of this admittedly beautiful region.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 10-16-2009 at 03:10 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM

And you've been very consitlstant in you answers and appear very level headed. I would say though that were lucky to live in such a diverse land and unlucky too.

We have so much to choose from it can be daunting. But I think we also have extemes in our country from AZ to MN. I think it would be valid for an AZ person to say no to MN and MN person to say no to AZ. Our country is really different when you think about it.

But I think you mean the people who see Dallas in the 40s and say no way they would live there. There does seem to be some of that mindset in SD.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:02 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,700,138 times
Quote:
For the sake of honest disussion let's agree that San Diegos border like all Mexican borders is seeing escaltion in violence. There's no need to argue.
When someone exaggerates and throws out false information, yes there is a point to argue against that imo. Especially when they are using it as some reason not to live here.

And if you actually look at statistics, SD is not seeing an escalation in violence b/c crime has actually dropped overall.

El Paso and San Diego, two of the safest big cities in America. So the whole border argument is BS.
Quote:
In addition each of the cities I mention has a stronger and robust economy than San Diego. Again no need to argue
All three also have a higher crime rate than SD, especially Minneapolis and Atlanta. Not that it should be a reason not to move there, but just sayin.

Quote:
So in that respect it seems to come down to the weather as the valid reason to stay
Weather is a big part of the equation but it comes down to more than that. Sassberto's previous post stated it fairly well.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:03 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,699,815 times
The good news for San Diego is that people continually say that they want to live there. In every survey that I see, San Diego is at the top of the list of places people would like to live.

According to a recent Pew study, among college grads, San Diego was named the second-most desirable place to live on a list of 30 large cities. (Denver was #1.)

And among people making over $100K/year, San Diego was tied at #1 with Denver.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:11 PM

For the sake of this thread SAV, I hope the guy does not post about what happens 5 miles from that SD border on either side. Its no place for wild wanna be cowboys let alone a family.

It is without argument a big negative though not much SD can do. Again let's move from that assumption and delcare it valid

Old 10-16-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
For the sake of this thread SAV, I hope the guy does not post about what happens 5 miles from that SD border on either side. Its no place for wild wanna be cowboys let alone a family.
Tell that to all the families in Eastlake then
Quote:
It is without argument a big negative though not much SD can do. Again let's move from that assumption and delcare it valid
Sorry but no it's not a valid argument and is very debatable imo. If you and others want to believe it's valid then go ahead but reality and statistics show otherwise imo. It's not really a problem for the majority of people but for some it can be obviously, just showing not everyone views the border as a problem with SD overall, especially considering other issues affecting people here more so.

Last edited by sav858; 10-16-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
I do think there is some validity there. There is no doubt that the border violence has escalated and this is a big concern. Many people do have a negative perception of the border region, and the associated crime. I don't think it is as big deterrent to people relocating here, but you do see a lot of sort of bizarrely violent activity that seems to be connected to the border drug trade.... even if it doesn't happen often, it is scary in it's nature which makes it seem perhaps larger than it is.

http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Drug-Cartel-Members-Kidnapping-People-in-San/VBWJH-_0I0y5U6o4zt8VTg.cspx?rss=800 (broken link)

"Sheriff statistics claim 187 kidnappings tied to the drug cartel happened in the past year. The numbers a couple a years ago were below 75."
"We are told the kidnappings are mainly happening in the Southbay in cities like Chula Vista or Eastlake."

Still, I think most people actually living in San Diego tend to be less concerned about those issues than outsiders. I also think people not living in South Bay communities tend to be a bit more insulated from this.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I do think there is some validity there. There is no doubt that the border violence has escalated and this is a big concern. Many people do have a negative perception of the border region, and the associated crime. I don't think it is as big deterrent to people relocating here, but you do see a lot of sort of bizarrely violent activity that seems to be connected to the border drug trade.... even if it doesn't happen often, it is scary in it's nature which makes it seem perhaps larger than it is.

Drug Cartel Members Kidnapping People in San Diego County - San Diego 6 (http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local/story/Drug-Cartel-Members-Kidnapping-People-in-San/VBWJH-_0I0y5U6o4zt8VTg.cspx?rss=800 - broken link)

"Sheriff statistics claim 187 kidnappings tied to the drug cartel happened in the past year. The numbers a couple a years ago were below 75."
"We are told the kidnappings are mainly happening in the Southbay in cities like Chula Vista or Eastlake."

Still, I think most people actually living in San Diego tend to be less concerned about those issues than outsiders. I also think people not living in South Bay communities tend to be a bit more insulated from this.
Yeah I agree with this, some people perceive all border areas as being violent. Before I read about El Paso's crime rate I would have NEVER thought it to be so low b/c of how poor it is and it's location.

There is some validity in it of course, SD is not completely immune but the escalation in violence mainly seems to be confined south of the border, not all of it though as you show. But I just don't think it's a primary reason for most people to move away from here or to choose not to move here . Just like the higher crime rates in those other cities wouldn't be a primary reason for most to move away from or to those cities.

This may sound weird but I honestly think it might even make city safer b/c people can go to TJ or Juarez and do illegal things there like drugs, prostitutes, gambling, etc.. that they might otherwise do here. Just some random theory of mine with nothing to back it up though.

Last edited by sav858; 10-16-2009 at 04:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego