Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 11:02 PM

231 posts, read 640,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I came here from Ohio and in my opinion San Diego is in large part conservative and midwestern in attitude. The surfer / beach lifestyle is largely a myth. Other family members in the LA area haven't been to the beach in years. They are too busy working to pay the mortgage, taxes etc.
Wow, misinformation central. You must have been in east county (Lakeside, El Cajon, Santee, etc.) which might as well be mid-America since a lot of the people living there are transplants from such.

I have grown up on the coast of SD since I was 6 and every single person I know surfs or at least utilizes the beach/bay...granted that's a personal choice anyway. Conservative? There are more registered democrats in SD than republicans...granted like anywhere certain towns/cities within the county vary. The last statement was just a demonstration of poor attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I guess it depends upon where you live. What in gods name does the LA area have to do with San Diego, by the way. The two are in no way comparable. My friends are all 20s-30s-40s professionals and all of them take advantage of the weather in one form of another (some golf, some surfing, some biking, some sailing, some swimming, some all of the above). Compared to most parts of the country a suprising number of people here at least own a surfboard (especially the doctors, businessment, lawyers). And even those that do not go to the beach probably at least see the ocean once a day, which for some people is all they need (scenery).
Hmm, I think LA and SD are closer than farther in terms of comparison. I spend a lot of time in both places...I prefer SD but it's not like I am traveling across the country when I am there in terms of social aspects. Granted it does depend which regions of both cities you compare.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
To west coast standards, San Diego is somewhat conservative. Not as much as it was 15 years ago or so but more so than other large west coast cities.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
SD is not all conservative, I live out in East County and the conservatism mentality is definitely here, but drive into the mid city/coastal area's of SD, and it's a completely different world.

The city itself leans more Democratic, but is surrounded by a conservative county. East County is the most conservative part of SD County I feel, because of the type of people that live out there lots of transplanted Mid Westerners and Southerners. It's not because of wealth, but because of the hardcore conservative social views of the working class whites that live in Santee, El Cajon, Lakeside and farther East. Because of the mixture of suburban and rural parts of EC, it attracts a lot of country folks that can fit right in perfectly in the South or the Mid-West that are really against liberal views and thinks that Obama is satan

And yes LA and SD are completely different cities that barely have anything in common, unless it's beaches your talking about. I think the biggest issue with SD politics, is that it still doesn't want to grow up. It's the same old mentality that really hasn't moved the city forward in recent years. Maybe a young mayor and much younger County Board of Supervisors will help improve local politics by having more creative minds in office that will focus on new ideas, instead of always trying to prevent progress.

Personally what's bad about SD is it's politics, small town operating government, corruption in local gov, greed, special interest groups practically own this city, expensive housing cost, lack of higher paying jobs, if your a blue collar worker forget it SD will make you go broke in no time.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 AM

I would like to hear these massive differences between LA and SD. I spend time with friends in both cities on a regular basis and while there are some differences, more wannabe celebs/self-absored people in LA...tell me what's the huge lack of commonalities in the average person living day to day?

Old 10-20-2009, 01:00 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
To west coast standards, SD is conservative. There are more democrats here but let us not forget that conservative democrats are often more conservative than moderate republicans.

I'm comparing SD to SF, LA and Seattle.

SD and LA are similar yes of course: the way each city is built and dependant on car culture, the beaches being overrated among other things. However, I also agree that there are lots of differences between the two. Most notably, politically. On the political front, LA has more in common with the Bay Area than it does with SD.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:15 AM

Hmm, I really like the beaches in Sunset Cliffs/La Jolla/Torrey Pines/Laguna/Malibu.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:27 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
What wages pay people enough to buy a 500-600K house? I'm not kidding...this isnt sustainable...

Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 AM

664 posts, read 1,946,808 times
What I don't like is the contant traffic. And overpopualtion of pretty much everywhere you go. I know it will always be like this but this is what I don't like.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
What I don't like is the contant traffic. And overpopualtion of pretty much everywhere you go. I know it will always be like this but this is what I don't like.
Overpopulation? I take it you must like very desolate areas as SD isn't bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego