Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:34 PM

27 posts, read 140,935 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to the Sd area but due to my wifes status, we need to live in Tijuana and I would work up in the SD area. Does anyone know of where to rent, how to walk across and then transport to work. What is the best time to cross at the border? Just what would be good ways of pulling this off? Thank you very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougo40 View Post
My family is moving to the Sd area but due to my wifes status, we need to live in Tijuana and I would work up in the SD area. Does anyone know of where to rent, how to walk across and then transport to work. What is the best time to cross at the border? Just what would be good ways of pulling this off? Thank you very much for your help.
Have you ever been to Tijuana? How familiar are you with that city?

Before we can help you out, we need a guage of your familiarity with Mexico in general and TJ specifically. Even by Mexico standards, Tijuana is one of the poorest, most crime-ridden cities in that country.

Old 11-04-2009, 07:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
no matter what the situation, TJ might not be a place you would want to live especially if you have a family. It is very unsafe right now, you will have problems getting across the border on a regular basis, so keep all this in mind. I don't think any of us are in position to really help you as what you are attempting to do is going to be hard and probably not all that safe.

Good luck anyway..

Nita

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Try posting in the Mexico forum also. You may get more information there.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:43 PM

The last time I was in Tijuana was in 1983. I do know that the drug war is almost over. I have been to Mexico many times. I am trying to choose between Tijuana and Nogales and working in Tucson. I will try the Mexican version of this. That is a great idea. I have heard that quite a few gringos have moved down to Tijuana and work in SD. I hear that it depends on where you live.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougo40 View Post
i do know that the drug war is almost over.
huh?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
I have heard that quite a few gringos have moved down to Tijuana and work in SD. I hear that it depends on where you live.
Actually all the Mexican business owners are moving to SD and now the cartels are following them here... And the drug war is raging out of control. TJ is a messed-up city, there is really only one area you would want to live in, Playas, and they found a couple of heads on the beach there last year.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Thank you for the Mexico versin. Much better info. Many responces from Americans living there for years and working in the US. You should see the photos of Tijuana. Beautiful areas. The Norte Zona and near the border ARE sketchy. I do not need to go near the Zona anyway.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM

1,008 posts, read 2,079,151 times
Quote:
Thank you for the Mexico versin. Much better info. Many responces from Americans living there for years and working in the US. You should see the photos of Tijuana. Beautiful areas. The Norte Zona and near the border ARE sketchy. I do not need to go near the Zona anyway.
TJ is an incredibly dangerous place.

I have no problems with living in ghettos or rough neighborhoods myself. But TJ is a place I would never live. It's just too much.

If you're Latino-American then you could probably blend in well and fit in. But if you are of another ethnicity you tend to attract way too much negative attention there.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:12 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
No matter what 3rd world city you go to, there will be, invariably, some attractive "American slices" somewhere in that city, and even in the U.S., even in the most attractive city, there will be "3rd world slices" somewhere in that city.

There's some nice areas around Chapultepec Golf Course, and some awesome areas up the hills from there with mouth gaping views of San Diego. There are areas over there where you'll feel like you're across the border. I was looking for some real estate one time and my agent showed me all the nicer areas of that city. I was very surprised at the different options, hidden away in that city.

Yes, there's the Playas as well and communities south of there, heading towards Rosarito, like San Antonio Del Mar and Baja Malibu.

When you consider the minimum wage of Mexico is around $5 a day, at that price, you could even afford to have your own security guard for your house.

Plenty of gated and high-rise communities as well.

My RE agent told me that any number of colonias in Tijuana have a vigilante organization each with a President to dole out punishment for those caught, perhaps, tagging a wall in the community or any other infractions, due to the lack of police supervision.

Last edited by tijlover; 11-06-2009 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Add paragraph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego