Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 PM

5 posts, read 9,795 times

Advertisements

So I'm pretty sick of the stress in NYC and am considering moving to California. Problem is, I don't know what to expect and am hoping you guys can fill me in.

I'm an elementary bilingual education teacher and want to get a feel for what's available for a person with my credentials? Is there a need for bilingual teachers? Are the school districts hiring considering the economic crisis? How's the stress level? Which areas of California would have a need for me? How's the pay?

My main intention on moving out of NYC is to get AWAY from the stress, do you think I'd be making the wrong move by teaching in Californa?

Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 07:29 PM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
Teachers in CA are being laid off. The districts aren't hiring new teachers, and some are closing and consolidating schools. That means that the staff at those schools have to be placed in jobs. There's a remote possibility that you could sub, but from what I've been told, it's getting harder to get sub work. If you speak Spanish, you might get repeat work at the inner city schools.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 PM

124 posts, read 233,760 times
i moved to CA a year ago from Indiana, and i JUST got my certification. Getting certified here is not an easy process. I would investigate that aspect fully before making the big jump. There are other states that are hiring more teachers and not laying off as many as is happening here, and where you would not find it so difficult to get your license again. If you are serious about it, i would submit my license app to the CTC in California NOW - it will take them 3 months to get back to you - and then move once i had my license. But even then, investigate your job prospects and see what is out there, have a backup plan, rent is high and you're going to want to be able to pay it somehow while you look for a job. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2009, 07:35 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,812,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunnyChum View Post
So I'm pretty sick of the stress in NYC and am considering moving to California. Problem is, I don't know what to expect and am hoping you guys can fill me in.

I'm an elementary bilingual education teacher and want to get a feel for what's available for a person with my credentials? Is there a need for bilingual teachers? Are the school districts hiring considering the economic crisis? How's the stress level? Which areas of California would have a need for me? How's the pay?

My main intention on moving out of NYC is to get AWAY from the stress, do you think I'd be making the wrong move by teaching in Californa?

Please help!
Stress- big-time here in teaching, alot of teachers are pinkslipped and then rehired based on demand- and guess what- more people are leaving california- especially those with younger families.

Bilingual- A Plus here.

Hiring- No- they are actually cutting back substantially on staff. Best chance is to get cred. then start to substitute and find a Principal that likes you. You won't walk into anything here.

Pay- based on COL its bad. I've heard NY teachers do well.

Job satisfaction- relies very heavily on what district you are in- because of California testing standards. If you are in a district that is underperforming- every move you make is analyzed- you become a data collector/babysitter. If your in one of the better districts different story.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:19 PM

298 posts, read 1,090,487 times
The grass is always greener on the other side isn't it? Everybody always says no, its much worse here than there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego