Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

We were put under a tornado watch today until 3:15pm. A tornado warning was issued for the area of Lakeside and El Cajon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:14 PM

426 posts, read 791,728 times
Yes...interesting eh?! I was talking with my co-workers and saying how interesting it would be to actually have one! I wonder if one touched down, would be stronger than an F2??? We have no place to go to if one indeed touched down!

Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie2979 View Post
Yes...interesting eh?! I was talking with my co-workers and saying how interesting it would be to actually have one! I wonder if one touched down, would be stronger than an F2??? We have no place to go to if one indeed touched down!
The few that have touched down were usually F0 at the most F1. Santa Barbara and Long Beach apparently had touch downs.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:59 PM

43 posts, read 142,803 times
TV exaggerates so much... I had a message on TV about a tornado warning... and it´s sunny and just a little windy now... do you think this is real? I don't... they just like to scare us! hahah

Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Wasn't there one in Poway a couple of years ago? Just a tiny one ... ?

Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 PM

457 posts, read 1,345,304 times
warnings aren't that uncommon, i think we had one a year maybe two ago. an actual tornado on the other hand is pretty rare but they're also always pretty wimpy when they do happen.

edit: not in san diego but I remember a good sized tornado touching down in riverside county a couple years ago i believe.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:20 PM

239 posts, read 723,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
We were put under a tornado watch today until 3:15pm. A tornado warning was issued for the area of Lakeside and El Cajon.
I heard about a tornado possibility for Thursday evening. I thought we didn't get those around these parts! My youngest still remembers the last tornado warning we had back East last June; it wasn't pretty. We were on the road and you certainly don't want to be driving in those conditions. We just made it to the school in time to go take refuge in the basement. Power down, touch down in several places and blocked roads everywhere. We had to wait for two hours til a downed tree blocking our home way was cleared after the storm. They are not fun!

Old 01-19-2010, 08:47 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,853,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemma84 View Post
TV exaggerates so much... I had a message on TV about a tornado warning... and it´s sunny and just a little windy now... do you think this is real? I don't... they just like to scare us! hahah
The TV news doesn't release tornado warnings, or flash flood warnings, or any other kind of weather warnings. They simply report when such a warning has been issued by the proper authorities, usually the National Weather Service.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:51 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
We've had so many years of drought here that people have forgotten that this is really fairly normal for January and February. I can recall a couple of these types of "storms" a week in January and February during the 90s. Now's it's a massive news story that's even overtaken the Haiti story. They talk as if this is the first time the O.B. Pier has ever closed for the day. Wow, how soon people forget.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:10 PM

489 posts, read 1,956,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskray917 View Post
warnings aren't that uncommon, i think we had one a year maybe two ago. an actual tornado on the other hand is pretty rare but they're also always pretty wimpy when they do happen.

edit: not in san diego but I remember a good sized tornado touching down in riverside county a couple years ago i believe.
Usually here they're in the form of water spouts and don't get off the ocean. Tornadoes are rare here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego