Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 11:32 PM

18 posts, read 86,541 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I wanted to ask a question that is probably stupid, but when is San Diego's "on" and "off" season. Just wondering what months they consider those to be, as I have traveled to San Diego 3 times for vacation and I have always wondered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:27 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
What do you mean by on and off? It's not a huge tourist destination, so we don't have the same seasonal fluctuations of tourist flows. Winter tends to be significantly cooler than, say, in Florida or Hawaii, so you could call that an off-season.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 AM

745 posts, read 1,568,503 times
Interesting because I consider San Diego to be a major tourist destination. I would say off season would depend on why a person is coming. Snowbirds would appreciate our milder winters. Desert dwellers our more moderate summers. People wanting to beach it would be best off to come in the summer. We get visitors year round but I would guess that summer is the most popular time, partially because summer is such a traditional vacation time for families and partially because we are seen as a beach destination. Like Florida and Hawaii, timeshares in San Diego are in red season year round. [SIZE=1]The San Diego visitor industry is the third largest industry in San Diego County, employing more than 160,000 San Diegans. It is one of the top five leisure vacation destinations in the U.S. and a top 10 business destination as measured by visitor-days. Visitors spend $8 billion annually at thousands of businesses in the County. This equates to $18 Billion in economic impact for the region, and thus a very important piece of the economic health of the region.[/SIZE]

Old 01-24-2010, 09:31 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeke View Post
Interesting because I consider San Diego to be a major tourist destination.
It is.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:37 AM

18 posts, read 86,541 times
I was wondering when peak season is versus off season... I am guessing the peak season in San Diego is Winter to Spring, and off season is probably what Aug-Nov or something like that?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minntwins5 View Post
I was wondering when peak season is versus off season... I am guessing the peak season in San Diego is Winter to Spring, and off season is probably what Aug-Nov or something like that?
Peak season is Summer, memorial day to labor day. After labor day the crowds go home. It's a big enough destination that there are tourists year-round. Seaworld is ranked the #23 most visited attraction in the US, with over 4 million visitors a year.

http://www.thetravelerszone.com/trav...ns-in-america/

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-24-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
And in that period, I think the peak time may be during the San Diego County Fair, IMHO.

Last edited by djxpress; 01-24-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: Changed Del Mar Fair to San Diego County Fair, oops.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:39 PM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
Yeah, definitely not winter and spring. The restaurants and nightlife and pretty quiet right now! Winter has some great weather, but it comes in waves and isn't predictable. Last night was really cold -- I'm about 8 or 10 miles inland it was already 46 degrees at 9 PM last night. I've had the heater on all week. But the first half of January was 80 degrees each day. It's just not climactically reliable enough to be a big mid-winter destination like Hawaii or South Florida. Spring tends to be cool and cloudy too, which surprises spring breakers. Summer and fall are amazing, and fall is really hot. But our tourist times are very traditional, Memorial Day to Labor Day. Winter is my favorite time, because the locals reclaim the city, and when we do get those warm spells, we have SD all to ourselves.

Ideally, SD could be a perfect quick last-minute winter getaway for Californians and Southwesterners.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,152,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It is.
No, it's not.

Major tourist destinations are New York, Las Vegas, Hawaii, Florida (Miami/Orlando). Among people who come to Southern California, most stay in LA and occasionally make day trips to San Diego Zoo / Sea World.

San Diego by itself would barely make the top 10 in the list of popular tourist destinations.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmith143 View Post
San Diego by itself would barely make the top 10 in the list of popular tourist destinations.
I think top 10 is pretty good, considering all the great places in the US one could visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego