Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 01:52 PM

43 posts, read 146,475 times

Advertisements

I am like many other home buyers who can't find a property because almost everything is Short Sale. I submitted 2 offers for houses in Fairmont Park, but I should continue my house search. Probably when the Tax Credit time is over, the market may be better for me, but I would like to take advantage of the tax credit if I can. Having that said, I do not want to compromise much more than I should, just because I want to get the tax benefit, so I am willing to wait until summer, when my current lease in UTC will expire.

Anyhow, it came down to where I think my focused area is somewhere in City Heights. Which areas of CH should I absolutely avoid to buy my first home? I commute to downtown La Jolla, so I don't want to go any more east than I-15.

Any comments/opinions/suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 02:20 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar2p View Post
I am like many other home buyers who can't find a property because almost everything is Short Sale. I submitted 2 offers for houses in Fairmont Park, but I should continue my house search. Probably when the Tax Credit time is over, the market may be better for me, but I would like to take advantage of the tax credit if I can. Having that said, I do not want to compromise much more than I should, just because I want to get the tax benefit, so I am willing to wait until summer, when my current lease in UTC will expire.

Anyhow, it came down to where I think my focused area is somewhere in City Heights. Which areas of CH should I absolutely avoid to buy my first home? I commute to downtown La Jolla, so I don't want to go any more east than I-15.

Any comments/opinions/suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks,
Well the majority of City Heights is located east of I-15 that rules out the majority of that area.

The more south you go is better. I would absolutely avoid the entire area south of El Cajon Boulevard to Landis, maybe even Dwight. I would only consider the dead-end canyon blocks in the far south end, far away from University Avenue.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Thanks - and oops. I was looking at some houses on 47th right south of University... There's another property I am looking at in Rolando (on 67th near Solita), but this would be too far for my commute. I don't like to live inland (I hated living in Poway in summer!) Not so easy to find a house before cash offer/flippers snatch away - so frustrating!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,673 times
Well why are you focusing so much on City Heights? You have many other areas to choose from, the place is still ghetto and doesn't matter what areas have been cleaned up a little. I sure as hell would stay away from Trojan Ave. It's gang central. Guys just sit outside of there house or apartment complex looking to jack people.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:08 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Thanks - and oops. I was looking at some houses on 47th right south of University... There's another property I am looking at in Rolando (on 67th near Solita), but this would be too far for my commute. I don't like to live inland (I hated living in Poway in summer!) Not so easy to find a house before cash offer/flippers snatch away - so frustrating!
I live in Rolando around the corner from the location you are speaking of. It is literally 5-10 minutes away from 47th and University and is a MUCH nicer, MUCH safer area. I would not live on 47th and University if you gave me a house for free.

Seriously I commute from College Ave / 8 fwy to Del Mar every day, it is 30-45 minutes. Is 10 minutes really worth it to you? You are talking about the most gang and drug infested neighborhood in San Diego. Do you really have a clear understanding what day-to-day life is like in a neighborhood like that?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...33.93,,0,15.44

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...92.23,,0,11.67

10 years of homicides near 67th and Solita:
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=142...&y=32.7633&z=0

10 years of homicides near 47th south of University
http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=142...&y=32.7454&z=0

Last edited by NYSD1995; 01-29-2010 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks again!
Personally, I would not choose City Heights as my first choice, but my budget is only $250k. There are many condos within the budget, but many of their HOAs are ridiculously high (Many are over $250, and I would even feel sour to pay $200/mo. on top of my mortgate payment)! I would like to purchase in the metro area, but my first choices: South Park/Golden Hill/North Park/Hill Crest are all beyond my budget. Currently, I go back-n-forth between my work (La Jolla), apartment (UTC) and my boyfriend's house (Golden Hills) almost every day. I'd rather buy close to Golden Hills to cut the drive rather than buying something North of S-52. Also, I lived most of my life near beaches (Chiba-Japan, Satellite Beach-FL, Huntington Beach and UTC), so, it's hard for me to move away from the coastal area. Just the thought of moving toward inland makes me weep (I know, I know!). However, I am gradually extending my limit inland, and I'm currently 'at' City Heights. Don't want to go any further, though....

Old 01-29-2010, 05:20 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
I'm with both Sassberto and sdlife, the area south of EC Blvd and 47th is not good. North side of that area is Talmadge, which is way nicer, but is out your budget. Have you looked around Normal Heights/University Heights (92116 zip code), south of Adams? You might find something in that area. It varies block by block, but it's a much safer area, in general, and has really started to clean up in the last decade. Just being a block or 2 north of ECB is a world of difference.

As Sassberto said, also look east of City Heights towards the Rolando and El Cerrito area. Some nice pockets there, too. Did you look around Golden Hill? I'd consider living there there before City Heights.

Finally, don't let an additional 10 minutes to your commute make it a dealbreaker. Trust me, it will be worth it when you move into an area that you feel safe in.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by sdurbanite; 01-29-2010 at 05:32 PM..

Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

Yes, I am checking my 'primary' areas more than several times a day to see if anything comes up. Nothing (really nothing!) in Golden Hills, South Park, North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, Bay Ho, etc. My Real Estate Agent is very helpful, and she stays on top of it, and we discuss options and strategies daily. (and I, myself, have CA Real Estate License, so we use all kinds of resources trying to find something). I'm just not familiar in the area, so it's hard for me to focus on the areas I want to look. BTW, we found out that the both hoses (47th and 67th) are no longer available - whew, I suppose

Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,742,365 times
Quote:
Yes, I am checking my 'primary' areas more than several times a day to see if anything comes up. Nothing (really nothing!) in Golden Hills, South Park, North Park, Normal Heights, University Heights, Bay Ho, etc. My Real Estate Agent is very helpful, and she stays on top of it, and we discuss options and strategies daily. (and I, myself, have CA Real Estate License, so we use all kinds of resources trying to find something). I'm just not familiar in the area, so it's hard for me to focus on the areas I want to look. BTW, we found out that the both hoses (47th and 67th) are no longer available - whew, I suppose
Sounds like you are in good hands.... And be glad that you didn't get that place on 47th St!

Another idea is to drive around the areas you are interested in. With any luck, you may see a "For Sale by Owner" sign in front.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Sounds like you are in good hands.... And be glad that you didn't get that place on 47th St!

Another idea is to drive around the areas you are interested in. With any luck, you may see a "For Sale by Owner" sign in front.
That's the best way to check the hood for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego