Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:05 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
As long as you can find a home you can reasonably afford, which may mean a condo, then San Diego is a pretty good place to live imo.
Even renting a condo (2br) in an area with good safety and schools is going to be a pretty big stretch on 60k income (3k/net after taxes). Groceries for a family of 3, increased dr. visits (my son has been to the doc 3 times in 2 months for repeated ear infections), lots of new baby expenses... plus lost income while mom stays home with new baby at first. For a family... it is going to be very close to poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Even renting a condo (2br) in an area with good safety and schools is going to be a pretty big stretch on 60k income (3k/net after taxes). Groceries for a family of 3, increased dr. visits (my son has been to the doc 3 times in 2 months for repeated ear infections), lots of new baby expenses... plus lost income while mom stays home with new baby at first. For a family... it is going to be very close to poverty.
True, I was speaking generally there and kind of forgot about the OP's $60K income when I said that. But I do think $60K might work for in a more middle class area that is relatively safe but will have mediocre to bad schools like Clairemont. For a few years while the kids are young that could work until both parents are able to work and upgrade to a neighborhood with better schools. But yeah, for an area with good schools you'd probably need at least $80+K for a family to live "comfortably".

Old 02-17-2010, 10:48 PM

49 posts, read 176,551 times
I appreciate everyone's honesty. I don't think the move would be a wise one. Living somewhere safe, is surely a must, with having my young daughter and one on the way. I really do want to find an affordable area where I can be outside with the kids most of the year. Sitting inidoors during these cold Ohio months is tough, and I'm sick of always waiting around for summer. Sure the grass is greener on the other side and I love the city of Columbus, but wish it was relocated to somewhere warmer. Starting to look at Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and the Carolinas for somewhere more affordable.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:23 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwEshelman View Post
I appreciate everyone's honesty. I don't think the move would be a wise one. Living somewhere safe, is surely a must, with having my young daughter and one on the way. I really do want to find an affordable area where I can be outside with the kids most of the year. Sitting inidoors during these cold Ohio months is tough, and I'm sick of always waiting around for summer. Sure the grass is greener on the other side and I love the city of Columbus, but wish it was relocated to somewhere warmer. Starting to look at Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and the Carolinas for somewhere more affordable.
Check out Austin, TX. I visited this summer and was REALLY impressed by the city overall. I have several friends that live there and enjoy it very much.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:27 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,480,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Check out Austin, TX. I visited this summer and was REALLY impressed by the city overall. I have several friends that live there and enjoy it very much.
We have friends in both Austin and Houston who love it, both Clairemont San Diego born-and-raised, they have been there a decade or more.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
We have friends in both Austin and Houston who love it, both Clairemont San Diego born-and-raised, they have been there a decade or more.
Yeah, Austin is one of our "backup" cities in case we realistically cannot afford to live in San Diego long-term. Definitely a cool city with a MUCH different vibe than the rest of the state. A bit humid in the summers, yet not nearly as bad as the SE or Gulf Coast. The "Texas Hill Country" that the city is located in is surprisingly scenic, too.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CwEshelman View Post
Thanks everyone for your honest opinions. It seems as though I should probably consider other places for the time being. It just didn't make sense to me that with a city with over a million, that a lot of people wouldn't be around the same income and getting by just fine. One thing I know for sure is I don't want to take on a lot of debt. Either way, my wife and I are looking for something new. Is there any mid-large city in California that is affordable with a salary of $60,000? We want to be somewhere warm year-round without it getting terribly hot in the summer like it does in the south.
Honestly, any place you would want to live in California is not going to be affordable, especially for a family. That is the harsh reality. The only familes that still find California appealing are: 1. professionals (It usually takes not one, but TWO professional incomes to buy an ordinary 3BR 2BA single family detached house here) and 2. immigrants from other countries where the living standards/expectations are not what native born Americans are accustomed to (i.e. raising kids in cheaply built apartments is normal where they came from....or having family and extended family all under one roof is normal, etc.).

Most of the places that are affordable are far inland. I would say Sacramento is a decent place to live with a decent climate and stuff to do. The winter climate there is mild (low to mid 50s during the day), but certainly not beach weather like it is in San Diego. Summers are on the hot side (low 90s during the day is the norm) but cool off at night and have low humidity. Certainly better than Ohio, but not the idyllic SoCal coastal climate you see featured on TV and in the movies.

But even places like Sacramento are expensive compared to the national average. Sac. basically offers average amenities at above average prices for a metro area its size. Any of the other inland areas probably aren't even worth looking at, in my opinion.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpaintartist View Post
Living in SD, like living anywhere else is a matter of adjusting your priorities to achieve your goals. I came here in '76 with a duffel bag of clothes and $2000(One friend, No family, right out of the Army, 20 years old, never been here before).

I put myself through school thanks to the relatively inexpensive college tuition(As I raised 2 kids, supported them, myself, and my stay at home wife). Bought my first home for $75,000 in '88 with a mortgage payment of $700 when my bi-weekly salary was $700. Lived in that home for 8 years while my salary went up and we could save up to buy our second home. And now 34 years after coming here own both those homes outright.

Housing prices have always been expensive in SD relative to wages. If you look above you'll see in '88 I was paying half my Electrical Engineering salary in mortgage. Its not been any easier for us who've been here and bought when mortgages were lower. Our pay was lower.

Where ever you live, if you are willing to make the sacrifices needed to achieve your goals you should be able to achieve them. What I see is people not willing to do this and then whine about their situation. They buy new cars, have cell phones, live in rentals beyond their means, etc. etc.
I certainly agree with you that people whine about their situations. But the scenario you describe is definitely harder to pull off today than it was back in 1976.

Taxes are higher now (especially sales tax). And services aren't as good. You mention yourself that tuition was cheap when you went to school here. That is no longer the case as college tuition has skyrocketed.

It's true, housing prices have always been high in SD and CA in general. People do exaggerate how cheap it was 20 or 30 years ago. But they're not exaggerating by that much. Even with the drop in prices, home prices anywhere in coastal CA are not anywhere close to being in line with median incomes. Back in the 70s and even the 80s, lending standards were sticter than they are today, meaning people could not bid up the prices of homes like they do now. Today's lending standards are stricter than during the insane bubble, but are still much looser than when you bought your house.

You also mention how your pay rose steadily. That is also not a given any more, no matter what field you are in or how good you are. There is more job instability and it's more dog eat dog now than ever before. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, things were getting tough for blue collar folks. Now it's tough for everyone.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 02-18-2010 at 12:22 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpaintartist View Post
I have twin sons. Both make a bit under 60K. Both have kids. One just bought a house and one is looking now. I think the posters in this thread are trying to scare anyone from coming here.

Yes if you have a car payment and lots of debt you'll have trouble making it anywhere. Lets look at the numbers.

60K is 5k a month, say 3.5K take home.

Bills are:

$1800 = Rent

$180 = Utilities,phone,internet(no cableTV).

$600 = Food

I've been tracking what it costs to live here for over 20 years. That still leaves almost $1000 a month for anything else. Get real people. $60K is plenty of income to live here.
60K is plenty if you are single or married without kids. With kids it's a whole different ball game. On that income, you are not going to be able to afford to live in a decent school district (and I'm talking renting, not owning).

Old 02-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Property taxes in Houston are about 3X as high as San Diego. A $300,000 home in Houston will cost you about $9,000 in annual taxes. A $300,000 house in San Diego runs about $3,000 a year in taxes. With those high Texas property taxes, your home prices will always be much lower.
But 300K buys luxury in Houston. While in SD, you're probably lucky to get a condo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego