Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
San Diego is not nearly conservative as some posters suggest. It votes Democratic. It was marrying gay couples until prop 8 passed. It has marijuana dispensaries. It has strong environmental policies. I think because the military presence is so strong that people seem to think it is a conservative city but compared to other large U.S. cities, San Diego is pretty progressive [maybe because it is in California & doesn't have a choice].
Those of us who've been here a while know that the voting democratic thing is relatively recent. Until about 8 years ago SD was a republican strong hold. It's changing for sure, but it can still be a little conservative at times. In fairness though, it's nothing like it used to be but it's no LA or Bay Area for sure and compared to those places, it's still conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 16,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I saw in another thread that you were considering Oceanside and other parts of North County. While you would probably be fine there, Oceanside has some unsafe areas that you should stay away from. You could also encounter some judgmental looks and comments from the Camp Pendleton marines. Most of them are harmless, but 18 and 19 year old Marines can be fairly unpredictable. They'll shout all types of things out without really thinking about it first.

If I were you, I would look in Leucadia, Solana Beach, Encinitas (West of I-5), and Carlsbad (West of I-5) in that order if you want to stay in North County. But I agree with others that San Diego is more fiscally conservative than socially conservative if you want to make a generalization.

Yeah I am actually probably going to be moving to Carlsbad. I really like the area.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:44 PM

788 posts, read 1,876,910 times
i think it was already said: san diego is fairly conservative, but has the second highest gay population in the US behind SF. Generally people here are very tolerant.

Old 04-11-2010, 11:56 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Those of us who've been here a while know that the voting democratic thing is relatively recent. Until about 8 years ago SD was a republican strong hold. It's changing for sure, but it can still be a little conservative at times. In fairness though, it's nothing like it used to be but it's no LA or Bay Area for sure and compared to those places, it's still conservative.
Yeah, we'll see come November what the trend is!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
Yeah, we'll see come November what the trend is!
Basically, I said SD is currently a swing area so...what are you saying?

Old 04-12-2010, 03:37 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,606 times
Quote:
Basically, I said SD is currently a swing area so...what are you saying?
What I'm saying is that people seemed to jump to a lot of conclusions about the political trend in San Diego based on the last election, but I believe it was very circumstantial. I think we'll get a clearer picture of what the political atmosphere is in November. If it reflects even remotely similar to last election then I would agree with you. Somehow I doubt it though.

Last edited by hanna_house; 04-12-2010 at 03:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2010, 06:39 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,769,387 times
SD is more moderate than conservative socially speaking, but conservative in spending. The urban core and beach cities are liberal obviously.

I think the biggest problem that has plagued SD for so long, is that the local government from the Board Of Supervisors, to the mayor, and other political leaders is that they are not a good representation of the majority of San Diegan's in 2010. We are a far more progressive place than in years past.

They are more of representation of what San Diego was like the 1980's, which was very conservative, old fashion mentality.

So what needs to change, is our same old politicians that are trying desperately hard to keep SD strictly conservative for as long as they can, all need to retire or get voted out, so SD can be represented correctly once and for all.

I swear Diane Jacob is like the Sheriff of the Board of Supervisors, she's supposed represent all of SD County, but doesn't. She only caters to East County conservatives, ever noticed were the majority of her press conferences are located? Alpine, Lakeside, El Cajon, Jamul...

Old 04-12-2010, 09:35 PM

91 posts, read 416,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
I swear Diane Jacob is like the Sheriff of the Board of Supervisors, she's supposed represent all of SD County, but doesn't. She only caters to East County conservatives, ever noticed were the majority of her press conferences are located? Alpine, Lakeside, El Cajon, Jamul...
Because East County is her district. From Dianne Jacob's website:
"Supervisor Jacob is proud to represent the Second Supervisorial District, the largest of the five districts with more than 535,000 constituents! Her district covers more than 2,000 square miles in San Diego's East County and includes the cities of Poway, El Cajon, La Mesa, Lemon Grove and Santee, the City of San Diego communities of Allied Gardens, Del Cerro, Grantville, San Carlos, and Rolando, as well as the unincorporated communities of Agua Caliente Springs, Alpine, Barrett, Blossom Valley, Bostonia, Boulevard, Campo, Canebrake, Casa de Oro, Crest, Cuyamaca, Dehesa, Descanso, Dulzura, Eucalyptus Hills, Fernbrook, Flinn Springs, Granite Hills, Guatay, Harbison Canyon, Jacumba, Jamul, Julian, Lake Morena, Lakeside, Mount Laguna, Mount Helix, Pine Hills, Pine Valley, Potrero, Ramona, Rancho San Diego, Santa Ysabel, Shelter Valley, Spring Valley, Tecate, Tierra del Sol, and Vallecitos. The Second District also encompasses the Indian reservations of Barona, Campo, Cosmit, Cuyapaipe, Inaja, Jamul, La Posta, Manzanita, Mesa Grande, Santa Ysabel, Sycuan, and Viejas."

Last edited by Boose; 04-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Removed HTML tags

Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanna_house View Post
What I'm saying is that people seemed to jump to a lot of conclusions about the political trend in San Diego based on the last election, but I believe it was very circumstantial. I think we'll get a clearer picture of what the political atmosphere is in November. If it reflects even remotely similar to last election then I would agree with you. Somehow I doubt it though.
Doubt that it's a swing area or doubt that it was once more conservative?

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
gentoo, I think you bring up some good points: one more point, which many, especially younger people do not realize: there is a difference between liberal and democrat or conservative as well. Many Democrats are conservative and many Republicans are to the left of center. I think the R and D are just a name anymore.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego