Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 PM

51 posts, read 209,081 times

Advertisements

I received a message saying that OB is a dump and that I will not like it. we already went over the whole tattoos thing and i like them.... and now i hear that there is smog over the whole place, and bad homeless people everywhere. are these true?? i know there are homeless people, but are they really that bad? I was recently told too that i cannot afford $600 a month working at mcdonalds.... its only $150 a week even a crap job like mcdonalds will pay double that- and that will pay for my share of the rent, and ill have enough for other expenses. I know it will be tight but im sure i can do it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 03:49 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,677,908 times
If it was that troll, "Soul something...", that got deleted earlier today that sent you that message don't pay attention to him, that kid is crazy.

OB is right by the ocean, there are no smog problems there at all.

I don't think the homeless people are that bad but they are there. They don't really bother anyone or cause trouble imo, just be prepared for them to be around.

Too me it seems like OB is a good place for you since you don't mind tattoo, alternative types. People there are generally pretty chill and laid back. Lots of stoners and stuff. OB is not that dirty but can be a little grungy and dirty for those that prefer that polished new suburb look.

I'd try for something better than McDonald's, there is a Home Depot close by. In-n-Out Burger pays way better than McDonald's too, so if you have to work in fast food try there first. Another place to try is Phil's BBQ, that place is the busiest restaurant I've ever seen so you might be able to find a job there and its right next to OB. But you'll need to figure out your budget and what you need to make, I would try to not spend more than 40-50% of your net income on rent imo.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:04 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,488,370 times
I moved to OB in 1996 with exactly 200 dollars, a backpack full of ratty clothes and a bicycle. My first apartment was a rathole on Cable st and West Point Loma with a cokehead roommate. After about a year of that I rented a nicer place down on the south side of OB on Del Monte st... got a couple cute chicks for roomates... and had a freaking blast until I finally outgrew it all. It was a blur of weed, boogie boarding, backyard parties, tall cans of Fosters on the beach... and plenty of good times.

Times have changed but OB is pretty much the same.... go for it. Old OB... where the debris meets the sea.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 04-17-2009 at 04:21 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 04:50 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,950,122 times
Default OB FanBoy

OB isn't no Irvine CA for sure. But that doesn't detract from being a funky cool place to live. There's some ratholes, Muir admittedly is mostly Section 8. But outside of a couple streets, the area is not bad. There's a ton of families and typical middle class households that you'd find anywhere else.

Bad homeless? No. OB really doesn't have bum density like NYC, Philly or downtown SD. OB has a couple bums, but not a lot. The truth be told, we have a revolving group of transients (beach trolls) that come and go, they'll panhandle and busk but are typically not agressive about it. Smog? He must have meant the marine layer: Marine layer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Now your budget, you're on your own with that one.

Judge for Yourself:

OB Beach Cam - Ocean Beach Mainstreet Association

Pictures Say a Thousand Words.

Last edited by mossomo; 04-17-2009 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: copyrights

Old 04-17-2009, 05:07 PM

982 posts, read 1,100,858 times
Great freaking pictures!!! I love this forum! San Diegans are SOOOOO nice!

You're gonna love OB. You're young. You only live once. Go for it. I agree with what they've said, there are homeless everywhere in the country and they usually don't bother you. In fact, in OB, it might be hard to tell who's homeless, everyone is out and about all hours of the night and day, and grunge is the look b/c it's the beach and it's sandy and dirty.

I think you're going to love it. You may have to get two minimum wage jobs, but like the poster above said, In and Out pays over 10.00/hour for the same job you'd do at Mickey D's.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:18 PM

6 posts, read 35,438 times
Let's not forget to mention that OB is currently going through gentrification, much like nearby Barrio Logan (except for the weird part where it's rich whites shoving out poor whites this time, instead of poor minorities) As it is, the cost of living in OB is ridiculous considering what you're getting. If you're young and you're into the party scene and want a beach, PB might be better for you. OB is great but you gotta be in the right area. And you really don't want to end up forking over too much. ($2000 for a shack? Puhleze craigslist!)

Yes, there are lots of homeless and yes, there are homeless everywhere. These are generally the harmless type. The downtown homeless tend to be more insane (I once had a guy follow me and some friends for 5 blocks. He then stopped to talk to a meter, no joke.)

As for the job thing, you might want to make sure you have a job before you get over here. IMHO.

Like I said, OB is going through gentrification, and they're raising rents and bumping people out.

Old 04-17-2009, 05:45 PM

yea i dont wanna work at mcd's that was just an example, but ill work anywhere is my point id even work two part time jobs to make my income, i dont mind i just wanna be in SoCal. by the way my car is already sporting the OB stickers and im still 3,000 miles northeast in VT......

Old 04-17-2009, 05:49 PM

anyways thanks for the help everyone and i look forward to living in OB. Ill post a thread when i get there and let u guys know how its goin....

Old 04-17-2009, 05:53 PM

6 posts, read 35,438 times
SoCal can mean any number of different places LA, Orange County, SD.

Well, when you get here, you gotta make sure you hit up the BBQ house. Cheap. GOOD Bbq and it's right next to the beach. Grab some bbq then hit the waves! Not a bad lifestyle.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 AM

63 posts, read 140,767 times
i love OB too. It it by the ocean, laid back and very down to earth folks around. Lovely bars and restaurant and tasty burger in Hoddad. if you're young and looking for laid back, move to OB, you'd enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego