Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,503 times

Advertisements

I wish I had read this before I chose my username haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 10:27 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,017,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringSanFran View Post
I wish I had read this before I chose my username haha.
It's not too late. Hurry up and take "ConsideringFrisco"!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
And stop calling it "NorCal". It's Northern California.

Impetuous invading youth. How dare you besmirch our linguistically correct land.

And now, a Quixotic crusade to end the post office's "CA".

Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
In pretty much every topic where a non-Bay Area resident asks about San Francisco, they call it "San Fran."

I don't know why, but nobody here calls it that. Or "Frisco." So if you think we do, we don't! I don't usually consider myself a snob, and I didn't grow up here, but there is something sort of weird to see people call it that.

So do what you want, but people here call it San Francisco or the City, and if they're typing it they'll type "SF."

Some people here will give you a hard time if you call it "San Fran" or "Frisco," but by and large people won't care but you are setting yourself up for some mild ribbing.
Sannnnnnnnnn Frannnnnnnnnnnnnn

Old 10-07-2010, 11:47 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
I figured everyone was too busy trying to find weed or something to protest to notice. Just a joke folks. A couple of threads here recently made me wonder about that though.

On a serious note though, considering how liberal San Francisco is, and considering its "anything goes" culture, does it not seem the least bit odd to complain about a nickname for the city? I guess that's the one thing you shouldn't do there...

I'm admittedly culturally old fashioned, so maybe that's why this sort of sticks out to me.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
I could care less what you do, I'm just trying to tell people that people who actually live here don't say "San Fran." The people who call it "San Fran" are often out of towners who have been here once or twice or read about SF on some blog and act like they're "in the know" about SF, so it seems like they'd care about what people who live here actually do. In fact they'll often tell you "nobody there calls it Frisco!" then turn around and call it "San Fran." If you want to sound like an out of towner then go ahead.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:05 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I could care less what you do, I'm just trying to tell people that people who actually live here don't say "San Fran." The people who call it "San Fran" are often out of towners who have been here once or twice or read about SF on some blog and act like they're "in the know" about SF, so it seems like they'd care about what people who live here actually do. In fact they'll often tell you "nobody there calls it Frisco!" then turn around and call it "San Fran." If you want to sound like an out of towner then go ahead.
I have learned that when it comes to educating anyone about the Bay Area's complexity, it simply won't work for many people. It's like the changing tides or setting sun, just let it be.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
educating anyone about the Bay Area's complexity
We must revisit proper re-education camps for those daring to enter the Gilded City.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
We must revisit proper re-education camps for those daring to enter the Gilded City.
True, but when most have made it clear that they're not interested in it...?

Old 10-08-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
True, but when most have made it clear that they're not interested in it...?
Won't matter after the giant earthquake washes us all into the sea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland