Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 11:57 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,398,723 times

Advertisements

As echoed in the rest of this thread, east and west of I-80 are two COMPLETELY different worlds. I have relatives who live on both sides of the freeway, and you can sense the vast difference over such a small area.

If you've ever heard of the saying "across the train tracks" to describe how one side of the train track is normal, and even nice and the other side is completely destitute, well the same would apply here.

Google map it if you don't believe us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 01:03 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,977,690 times
One of the number one things about California people don't realize is that the "hood" doesn't always look like the hood. In most parts of the country, the "hood" looks really ominous and you know you are there. In California, some place are really easy to tell right of the bat. Abandoned homes, los of overgrowth and so on. Other neighborhoods look completely normal with nice homes, interesting architecture. The only clue that something might be amiss is wire fences. But you can visit some of the roughest neighborhoods and not be sure you were even there. Half off the bad neighborhoods in Oakland have cute victorian and craftsman homes. And the poshest neighborhoods can literally border the worst ones.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:37 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,261,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Half off the bad neighborhoods in Oakland have cute victorian and craftsman homes. And the poshest neighborhoods can literally border the worst ones.
Please, this thread is about Vallejo, not Oakland. You can't compare the "hoods" in Oakland and Vallejo. Vallejo may be bad, but it's not 100 homicides a year bad.

Also, four Oakland cops died due to AK-47 fire trying to serve a warrant in one of those "cute" Victorian homes in Oakland last year. You shouldn't make light of their memory.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,718,627 times
When I lived in Vallejo, most of my life for that matter, you did not go into Country Club Crest at night if you were white.
But you are correct in that I would trade that many areas in Oakland any day.
But I am sure both have changed a lot today.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
Please, this thread is about Vallejo, not Oakland. You can't compare the "hoods" in Oakland and Vallejo. Vallejo may be bad, but it's not 100 homicides a year bad.

Also, four Oakland cops died due to AK-47 fire trying to serve a warrant in one of those "cute" Victorian homes in Oakland last year. You shouldn't make light of their memory.
The moral of the story is that things aren't always as they appear..... apparently you didn't read the first sentence. "The hood doesn't look like the hood in California." AKA appearances are misleading.

I don't know how remarking that things "appear" nice in parts of Oakland makes light of the fact that there was a police shooting. No relationship there. I am sure this sentence must have just flagged on your Oakland alert so you missed the rest.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:57 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,201,778 times
Quote:
One of the number one things about California people don't realize is that the "hood" doesn't always look like the hood.
And vice versa.. sometimes great neighborhoods look like crap when you put them under a microscope, especially in San Francisco and San Jose.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
And vice versa.. sometimes great neighborhoods look like crap when you put them under a microscope, especially in San Francisco and San Jose.
So true. For 90% of the country, the housing stock in California looks crappy and overpriced.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:34 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,114,071 times
Quote:
So true. For 90% of the country, the housing stock in California looks crappy and overpriced.
Having lived the midwest and on the east coast and the deep south, I'm not sure about this one. The west looks far newer than much of the rest of the country. I always felt like in other areas of the country, when a neighborhood was bad - it looked the part. I.e. Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, Jackson, Miami, etc.

If what I interpreted about your message is true, I disagree and would say it's the opposite, but I could be misinterpreting you.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
Having lived the midwest and on the east coast and the deep south, I'm not sure about this one. The west looks far newer than much of the rest of the country. I always felt like in other areas of the country, when a neighborhood was bad - it looked the part. I.e. Philadelphia, Milwaukee, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, Jackson, Miami, etc.

If what I interpreted about your message is true, I disagree and would say it's the opposite, but I could be misinterpreting you.
I think bad neighborhoods rarely look bad here. And middle class neighborhoods here look worse than middle class neighborhoods than other places. Especially if you live in an under developed area, there are plenty of shiny new homes on spacious lots. Or spacious lots in general.

So all in all, California is misleading. $600K houses don't look like $600K and the hood doesn't really look like the hood.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 AM

3,487 posts, read 5,298,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Meh. Acres of McMansions.

"Daddy, which one is ours? I can't tell."

One should deeply investigate the rep of the builders of these kind of tracts before buying - it's well known within the industry that the people who actually construct these things (the crews) would rarely put a dime into investing in one themselves. They know how many corners have been cut in their construction quality to maximize the per-unit profit, at the expense primarily of longevity. Stuff starts breaking/failing quickly.
Well, to be fair, blanket statements like that perpetuate stereotypes about ALL builders. It does depend on the builder. Nobody wants a bad reputation if they're building for many years, but yes, some are poorly built, while others are pretty solid. Research pays off. Ask local realtors too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland