Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 01:19 PM

170 posts, read 399,356 times

Advertisements

Fellow San Franciscan's please help my good friend Steve Li from being deported! Please check out the following facebook page to help him out..

Help bring Steve Li back home | Facebook

He's just as American as many of you here. Please help and stop the injustice thats being done! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 07:39 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
He's just as American as many of you here. Please help and stop the injustice thats being done! Thank you!
I'm in North Carolina but have lived in the Bay Area for a long time. My partner and I plan to move back when we can. I'm sympathetic to his situation. A few years ago some neighbors of mine who were here illegally went before an immigration judge. A few of us in the neighborhood went to speak in their behalf, testify as to their character, etc. Ultimately they were granted residency.

In addition to a Facebook campaign, I think you will have more success if you find people that know Steve and his family very well instead of (or in addition to) random people on the internet who are moved to help. It might help for hundreds or thousands of random strangers to write Nancy Pelosi etc. I don't know. I'm just not convinced that's enough. If I were you, I would be collecting as many affidavits from neighbors, friends, teachers, employers as I could to help Steve's case.

While I'm sympathetic, I do have a problem with this statement: "Steve is an American – more of an American than many who are legal citizens." We may not like the facts but the fact is that he was born in Peru and came with his parents. He is not an American. Yes, he may work hard and he might be making a positive contribution to society, but that doesn't make him "more of an American" than someone else. You don't win people over to your cause by telling them that someone who is here illegally deserves to be a citizen more than they do.

I want everything to work out for him and I hope he is successful in staying here. There are many people in the same situation who came from Mexico who have not been so lucky.

Maybe this attitude makes me a jerk, but I hope you will take my advice about talking to neighbors, getting statements etc. Of course, you might already be doing that. If so, that's great, and good luck.

Last edited by zitsky; 11-14-2010 at 07:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland