Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2010, 10:24 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
that's like claiming southland mall in hayward is one of the "pros" of the city. those are the 2 lamest most ghetto malls ive been to in my life. they have a wal mart there and no food court lol.
I would have agreed up until a month ago.

Southland has done a turn around from the shooting that took place a few years ago.

I was terrified of taking the fam there, but I recently HAD to go there and I'll be damned if they didn't clean that place up. I think that shop that sold Grills is gone (which brought a ton of bad elements to the mall) which might have something to do with it. Also there were a ton of real and rentacops all over the place. That also might have something to do with it.

I still don't shop there unless I HAVE too because it is nowhere near my house or business, but they seem to have done a pretty good job at least making it not LOOK or FEEL like the hood.

Oh and they have a food court, but perhaps you were referring to Hilltop only.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post

People make a big deal out of Marin City, and yeah it's the armpit of Marin County, but on its worst day, it's still not as violent as Oakland.

Marin City earned the title "The Jungle" for a reason. At this point its not very violent because its literally one neighborhood and most families have been living there for x generations now. Its literally a small town environment... the bad thing is that its also the projects. You get the small town group think with the project crime... newcomers aren't welcome and aren't safe either. Even if you're coming to visit family, if the local thugs don't recognize you there's a pretty high chance you'll end up dead because obviously you didn't end up in Marin City on accident if you're walking around and the first thing they'll assume if you're young and male is that you're selling drugs.
This type of on-sight violence doesn't exist in the vast majority of Oakland. You can be the victim of an equal opportunist mugger or rapist but you likely won't get murdered (ie planned homocide) walking down Fruitvale Ave or 14th ave. Now, if you're dumb enough to be walking by yourself through the projects and nobody knows you, you'll get a version of small town group think because everybody knows everybody. The closest Oakland neighborhood to Marin City is Sobrante Park... its basically a closed off city in itself (there's only two ways in/out). Although there's high crime, there aren't a whole lot of murders there... one look at the murder map for Oakland through 2007-2009 shows that only 1 murder actually occurred in Sobrante Park. And yet it has the reputation for being the worst neighborhood in the entire DEO... this is because it is that dangerous for outsiders. Same with Marin City.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Furthemore, violence is only one aspect. If there is nothing interesting to see or do, what's the point of being safe? Boring is much worse to me.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I would have agreed up until a month ago.

Southland has done a turn around from the shooting that took place a few years ago.

I was terrified of taking the fam there, but I recently HAD to go there and I'll be damned if they didn't clean that place up. I think that shop that sold Grills is gone (which brought a ton of bad elements to the mall) which might have something to do with it. Also there were a ton of real and rentacops all over the place. That also might have something to do with it.

I still don't shop there unless I HAVE too because it is nowhere near my house or business, but they seem to have done a pretty good job at least making it not LOOK or FEEL like the hood.

Oh and they have a food court, but perhaps you were referring to Hilltop only.
lol are u serious.. hilltop, bayfair and southland are the crappiest malls in the bay area. the macys in southland has always had a wider selection of "rocawear" crap than ralph lauren lol.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:30 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
This type of on-sight violence doesn't exist in the vast majority of Oakland. You can be the victim of an equal opportunist mugger or rapist but you likely won't get murdered

What are you talking about? Oakland has the HIGHEST violent crime rate in the state (murder, assault, rape). If there is any city in California where it's more likely to happen, it's Oakland!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:51 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times
Quote:
lol are u serious.. hilltop, bayfair and southland are the crappiest malls in the bay area. the macys in southland has always had a wider selection of "rocawear" crap than ralph lauren lol.

Yes, I am serious. I was just there and found it quite safe and no thug elements (except in the parking lot). I hadn't been there for about 6 years so I had no idea what to expect except that I knew shootings and such went on and if I could avoid it I should.

I have no idea what the Department stores carry because I was not shopping at a Department store. I can say that The Children's Place has the same crap at Hilllsdale, Southshore, Stoneridge and Southland.

Bayfair doesn't even have a real Macys as far as I can tell.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:10 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,785,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post

What are you talking about? Oakland has the HIGHEST violent crime rate in the state (murder, assault, rape). If there is any city in California where it's more likely to happen, it's Oakland!
actually that is not true.the homicides in oakland are highly localized to specific parts of the city and those most at risk are parolees/probationers
who continue to live that lifestyle or people involved in gangs or drugs.
for example all of these middle class/upper class san francisco neighborhoods have had homicides (some multiple) this year:
noe valley
richmond
nob hill
sunset
cole valley
russian hill
marina
hayes valley
alamo square
bernal heights

while the entire oakland hills have not experienced any homicides this year .each of those sf nabes individually has more homicides than the entire oakland hills this year.

the idea that you can spend a 1-2 million bucks on a home in sf and have someone shot a few blocks away is bizarre to me but for you sf gets a pass because ......well .........it's san francisco...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
actually that is not true.the homicides in oakland are highly localized to specific parts of the city and those most at risk are parolees/probationers
who continue to live that lifestyle or people involved in gangs or drugs.
for example all of these middle class/upper class san francisco neighborhoods have had homicides (some multiple) this year:
noe valley
richmond
nob hill
sunset
cole valley
russian hill
marina
hayes valley
alamo square
bernal heights

while the entire oakland hills have not experienced any homicides this year .each of those sf nabes individually has more homicides than the entire oakland hills this year.

the idea that you can spend a 1-2 million bucks on a home in sf and have someone shot a few blocks away is bizarre to me but for you sf gets a pass because ......well .........it's san francisco...
this is an excellent point.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:28 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
I see your problem, you're insecure because you think I'm picking on Oakland.

But tell me, why does Oakland have a state topping violent crime rate and S.F doesn't?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Bayfair has greatly improved imo. With the addition of the Century theater and Target and other stores, plus the cosmetic work done to the place, its much nicer than before.

Generally speaking, traditional malls have lost tons of business in recent years to strip malls, particularly the ones with big box stores as their anchors, surrounded by a host of smaller stores. They are like malls, only far cars-not people. LOL

Lifestyle Centers like Bay Street Emeryville have also taken a huge bite out of business from traditional malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland