Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Excel High is a special case; it is a different sort of charter school: Oakland: EXCEL High School (http://www.msdf.org/success_stories/Archive/Oakland_EXCEL_High_School.aspx - broken link)

Progress there should be measured in improvements, not absolute performance since it is starting out (intentionally) with the most disadvantages students. It is hard to succeed in high school with out a proper foundations in the years leading up to high school.

Can you name one school district in the state without a budget deficit?

Oakland has been making progress during tough times, and should be applauded.
EXCEL High School shows that there is a big variance in the quality of schools within Oakland. I'd rather have a school district with lots of very good schools all around, than a school district with a few great schools, but lots of crappy schools all around.

That being said I think the progress Oakland has made is a positive thing.
But let's not paint Oakland like it's a rockstar school district. OUSD still graduates less people than the U.S average as a whole, and even less than Iraqi schools, which I found stunning. OUSD has a long way to go before people consider the school district competent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,156,814 times
I wish they made those improvements when I was in high school only 6 years ago.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
EXCEL High School shows that there is a big variance in the quality of schools within Oakland. I'd rather have a school district with lots of very good schools all around, than a school district with a few great schools, but lots of crappy schools all around.
EXCEL High isn't a regular high school. It's targeting the most disadvantaged students in the district. Just like you say "charter schools don't count" in the school ratings, this school should be excluded as well, since it is a charter school for disadvantaged students.

Sadly, I am not shocked that some "third world" countries have higher graduations rates than we do in the US. Some areas of the country are essentially third world. And they way we treat our urban school districts is atrocious.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Just like you say "charter schools don't count" in the school ratings, this school should be excluded as well, since it is a charter school for disadvantaged students.
If you exclude charter schools, Oakland's dropout rate is above 50%. That makes it worse than many third world countries.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:39 PM

2,340 posts, read 4,632,808 times
Hi Jade. Please` don't feed the trolls.

Quote:
EXCEL High isn't a regular high school. It's targeting the most disadvantaged students in the district. Just like you say "charter schools don't count" in the school ratings, this school should be excluded as well, since it is a charter school for disadvantaged students.

Sadly, I am not shocked that some "third world" countries have higher graduations rates than we do in the US. Some areas of the country are essentially third world. And they way we treat our urban school districts is atrocious.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 AM

334 posts, read 1,067,787 times
My daughter will be attending this elementary school in 21/2 years.

Reed Union(Marin) 953...+14 points

It is ranked #6 best elementary school district in the bay area. :-)

I love this area, not only is it gorgeous, amazing scenery and views, super close to SF, and clean air, the schools are also top rated.

Last edited by batransplant; 12-07-2010 at 01:07 AM.. Reason: wrote wrong fact

Old 12-07-2010, 09:31 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
It is funny, Marin County currently has few left over hippies but far too many yuppies. I worked with so many snobs who came from back east or socal and landed in Marin, it is nothing like it used to be. They latched onto Marin but then they whine about the lack of public transit. WAH.

There are many nice schools throughout the Bay Area, I really wonder why some districts perform so poorly. It cannot ALL be the parents. Bad parents are not congregating in Oakland and Hayward. So what is their problem?

Old 12-07-2010, 10:30 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
It is funny, Marin County currently has few left over hippies but far too many yuppies. I worked with so many snobs who came from back east or socal and landed in Marin, it is nothing like it used to be. They latched onto Marin but then they whine about the lack of public transit. WAH.

There are many nice schools throughout the Bay Area, I really wonder why some districts perform so poorly. It cannot ALL be the parents. Bad parents are not congregating in Oakland and Hayward. So what is their problem?
I think it's a percentage thing. If say, 90% of the kids in the school have attentive parents that value education..have high expectations then the school's performance will show this.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of good teachers out there, but if they're working in a school where say, only 70% of children come from this type of environment, then the school's performance will not show this. The 30% of poorer performing students will drag the test scores down...sometimes WAY down. Of course it's not to dismiss that there are some crappy teachers out there too (I think everyone that's ever attended school knows this!)

I used to live next door to a retired Superintendent of schools when I lived up in Sac. I had been concerned that there wasn't enough space for my kid at the higher performing neighborhood school. She told me that if your child comes from a family that has expectations and is eager to succeed, then it doesn't matter- success isn't measured by school indexes..it's the individual is what counts. She's seen children from some of the lowest performing schools become valedictorians, etc. in college. The children that have done well for themselves were destined to do so.

Still...no parent is eager to send their kids to a "lower performing school" because of fear that your child will not learn anything! It's difficult as a parent to completely trust her theory that kids will be fine if they attend a crap school!

I agree with you about Marin...certainly has changed into snootyville over the years. Extremely materialistic and show offy feel to the place. Hippies are all still concentrated in Bolinas and it's good that they try to keep all the yups out by keeping it low key. I do love Pt. Reyes and the coastal drives though- stunning!

Old 12-07-2010, 11:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I used to live next door to a retired Superintendent of schools when I lived up in Sac. I had been concerned that there wasn't enough space for my kid at the higher performing neighborhood school. She told me that if your child comes from a family that has expectations and is eager to succeed, then it doesn't matter- success isn't measured by school indexes..it's the individual is what counts. She's seen children from some of the lowest performing schools become valedictorians, etc. in college. The children that have done well for themselves were destined to do so.
There is some truth to this... I know parents that have strategically placed their child in a Oakland Public School because they had a better shot of getting into the top Universities just by being the top at their High School.

There are guidelines giving top students and edge from all Public Schools.

I work with Doctors, Administrators and RN's that graduated from Oakland High Schools and not all of them went to Skyline... one graduated from Castlemont 20 years ago...

In every case it was the Parental figure that factored into their success... both parents, a single parent and even a Grandparent.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In every case it was the Parental figure that factored into their success... both parents, a single parent and even a Grandparent.
Hey, someone gets it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland