Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM

5 posts, read 11,380 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am an unmarried(age 27) software engineer in India. An reputed US company has given me an offer of base salary 110K plus some bonus and shares. I need to join during last week of Jan 2011. So I am looking at apartment in Redwood City with following priorities :
1) I don't have a US driving license so the apt must be within walking distance of downtown area and Caltrain station.
2) Rent around $1000 but if apt is worth it then upto $1300 is fine. I would like flatmates, but in that case would need my separate room and bathroom.
3) Good locality (safe and clean)
4) Short term lease (preferably 3 months).
5) Low priority but nice to have some luxuries like microwave, washer and dryer, TV and high-speed internet.

I understand that the above conditions may be too much, but any help is greatly appreciated. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 02:12 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
I lived in Redwood City (abbreviated as RWC) for most of my life. For your price range, you'll want to look immediately to the west of El Camino Real (going towards 280) between Whipple and Woodside. East of El Camino, I would only recommend looking in the Whipple Ave area but avoid Winslow and Arguello st. south of Broadway is considerably higher crime compared to the aforementioned areas. Whatever you do, don't look around south of Woodside off of Middlefield Rd.

Personally I would recommend that you look at the Samson Apartments on Samson street in the Whipple Ave area. They're very close to downtown and the Safeway CALtrain plaza, and the neighborhood is fairly quiet. Its right next to a good elementary school (Orion) and it puts you next to Whipple which goes right to 101. Its inexpensive compared to what you'd be paying elsewhere. Hope that helped.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:17 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,156,794 times
The hardest part is going to be the short lease term. Most apartments want either 6 mos. or a year commitment. If not for that, everything else lines up. If you can accept a longer lease term, I would look either in the Arch St/Hopkins St area, or over by Adams/Jefferson by the Whole Foods. Either would be an easy walk to the train and bus lines.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:26 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,759,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
The hardest part is going to be the short lease term. Most apartments want either 6 mos. or a year commitment. If not for that, everything else lines up. If you can accept a longer lease term, I would look either in the Arch St/Hopkins St area, or over by Adams/Jefferson by the Whole Foods. Either would be an easy walk to the train and bus lines.

The only reason I didn't recommend Adams St. is because thats VBN territory (Vera Block Nortenos). There's a lot of fights and car break-ins in that area and its not quiet at all being right next to Jefferson and El Camino.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I lived in Redwood City (abbreviated as RWC) for most of my life. For your price range, you'll want to look immediately to the west of El Camino Real (going towards 280) between Whipple and Woodside. East of El Camino, I would only recommend looking in the Whipple Ave area but avoid Winslow and Arguello st. south of Broadway is considerably higher crime compared to the aforementioned areas. Whatever you do, don't look around south of Woodside off of Middlefield Rd.

Personally I would recommend that you look at the Samson Apartments on Samson street in the Whipple Ave area. They're very close to downtown and the Safeway CALtrain plaza, and the neighborhood is fairly quiet. Its right next to a good elementary school (Orion) and it puts you next to Whipple which goes right to 101. Its inexpensive compared to what you'd be paying elsewhere. Hope that helped.
Thanks for your reply, it was very helpful. After reading your response I have a rough idea of good and to-be-avoided areas. Thanks

Old 12-28-2010, 10:16 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,698,331 times
BTW, if you have an Indian driver's license it'll be easy to get an American one.
Check the CA DMV website, but essentially you need documentation to prove your identity and legal status in the country, pass an eye test and a written test, pay your fees and you're good to go.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I was looking for short term lease because I am new to USA as a whole, so don't want to get stuck in a bad long-term lease. A short-term lease will allow me to move out and get a better apartment sooner after I have information about do's and dont's of housing in USA.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:34 AM

Thanks. After checking the "Shared" link, having flatmates is looking like an attractive option.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:16 AM

Default Rented a room

I rented a room 10 days back in mountain view, within walking distance of walgreens store, about a mile from mountain view downtown.
It is in a 4 room 3 bath duplex house.
The room is big and the house has top-of-the-line furnishings
Rent is $900 with 6 months lease.
I am happy with my room, the house and the locality.

Thanks a lot to all the forum members who spared the time to provide me with valuable suggestions.

As a ending comment, I know that most of the americans are angry about the job loss and blame migrant workers for that, i read it almost everywhere, which is understandable. But I have been working with my american team members for past 1 month and I find them awesome. I feel sad for the entire situation, but it is just tough economics, my indian salary was 1/5th of US salary. Therefore I came to US to earn more money, I am sure everybody would do the same. If indian salaries were even 60% of american salaries, most of the indian H1Bs would be happy to stay in india. I am missing my country, I plan to work for few years save some money and go back. and it is not that it is USA in particular. If you get a 500% raise from a job in another country, what would you do? take it or leave it thinking that somebody will lose his job in that country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland