Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:53 AM

18 posts, read 84,311 times

Advertisements

This past October I was staying with friends in Mill Valley and I drove up to Santa Rosa to check the town out. I drove thru downtown and then went to Whole Foods. I was so disappointed in both of these areas that I didn’t explore further and just turned around and drove back to Mill Valley.

Prior to seeing Santa Rosa, I read online what a nice town it was and it sounded like a place I might want to move to. What attracted me to Santa Rosa was the weather, hiking and walking paths, close to ocean and other terrain, the population size, and the cost of living is not all that high, etc.

Now I regret not exploring more of Santa Rosa while I was there. Do you think I got an accurate idea of the area by just seeing the parts I saw? I guess I expected a more vibrant downtown area. And I don’t even remember the WholeFoods area, but it just didn’t that seem nice to me for whatever reason.

Sometimes first impressions are the best to go by. I’m just not sure in this case. Are there some nicer, maybe more sophisticated or quaint areas of Santa Rosa?

(I currently live in Oregon.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
I spend a lot of time in that area and live in the SF Bay Area. Santa Rosa to me is basically a typical suburban exurb. You're right that the downtown isn't exactly... happening. A good part of the city is comprised of big box stores, fast food eateries, etc. It is definitely more of a working class town and less hoity-toity... which I sort of like in a way because compared to living in the Bay Area it feels at least "normal" and not out of control gentrified like it is in the city.

If you're looking for more hoity-toity, "sophisticated" stuff then you're going to have to move closer to the city. Prepare to pay out the wazoo for anything though.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:36 PM

That's pretty much how I felt about Santa Rosa. I guess I got an accurate impression. Thanks for confirming.

I don't really want "hoity-toity," but a little nicer, more quaint, vibrant downtown than what Santa Rosa had would be nice. I guess I expected Santa Rosa to be more like Eugene, OR. They are similar in size. Eugene has a nice downtown area and some nice restaurants and a nice alive, yet laidback, feel to it without being hoity-toity.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times
The thing about the Bay Area and its outward lying environs is that pretty much all of the cute towns are going to cost you quite a bit of money because they were all "discovered" already. For example if you look up the freeway about 20 minutes from Santa Rosa ( further north) there's a pretty cute small town called Healdsburg. Only problem is that its expensive. Its basically a place for rich Bay Area retirees. Go a bit further up and you start getting into rural areas and their small towns. There's a few small towns about another 40 minutes up the road like Cloverdale, Hopland, Ukiah, and so on. These are typical small rural California towns. There are less rich people in these places thus they're more normal- meaning less fancy restaurants, etc etc.

That said... if not for the fact that there is basically no work in my field up there I would move to any of those non- gentrified towns anyday. The area is beautiful. It does get really hot in the summer. But to me the areas up there feel more like what California was like maybe 40-50 years ago. Beautiful golden hills, old farms, etc etc. Sure- its more conservative and so on. But then again its also more affordable.

But the bottom line is that if you want to have the amenities you mention then its more than likely going to mean settling in a place where lots of rich people live and as a result the costs in housing will be high and by national standards unaffordable.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

I would probably live in a small CA rural town too if I didn't need to work. That being said, I think Santa Rosa is the smallest-sized town I could live in for work reasons. A larger city would probably be even more realistic. Not nearly as large as SF though, I have lived in SF and I'm not really looking for that scene again. Just too big and too many people.

As far as the COL, that's not my main priority or concern.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Lots and lots of suburbs in the Bay Area have walkable downtown areas with restaurants and shops, because they became established decades ago when cars weren't so essential for life in California. Lots of places in Marin, San Mateo County, Santa Cruz, Albany, Berkeley, some of the towns around the Lafayette/Orinda area, etc.

It just kind of depends on how far out you want to be, there's probably some town out there you'd like, I think some of the towns around Napa can be like that and are pretty isolated. I think the problem with Santa Rosa is that it's become a big exurb (around 150,000 people I think) with a lot of new development and big box stores. People in the Bay Area like that sort of thing because it's rare unless you drive way out, and SR is just about at the limit of what people here consider a doable commute.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 36,869 times
i grew up here in sonoma county and have spent much of my life here. i moved away but moved back because i believe it is one of the most beautiful places on earth. sonoma county still is very rural. nearly every town is surrounded by cow pastures or vineyards or both. santa rosa itself is still grappling with its image - its trying to 'grow up' into a dense, urban city, but the influence of the conservative agriculturalists strive to keep the 'small town' feel. so it has a little of both. (btw, like marin, sonoma county is considered a democratic stronghold with democrats outnumbering republicans 2-1).

(all photos are mine, but were taken almost 3 years ago, some things have changed since then)

first off, the mcdonald historic neighborhood

the cathedral house

round-about

wanna play?

pedestrian cut-thru

santa rosa's rural cemetery - a popular dog walking destination

the santa rosa junior college neighborhood - more mixed income than the mcdonald area

mini-labyrinth

santa rosa high is directly adjacent to the jc

new library

the clock tower is actually attached to the parking garage, how classy

heading downtown

another historic district

new mixed-use completed!

sonoma co museum

mall

4th st

empire bldg

courthouse square

more 4th st

cancer survivors plaza

more 4th st

overview of courthouse square:

city hall

geometry

entrance to prince memorial greenway

santa rosa creek

the new park

no caption necessary

round-a-bout cul-de-sac

paradise

i entered the complex from the top

water feature: overview

water feature: close-up

looking out of the gardens toward julliard park

this small park (not julliard) has a 'water feature' for kids to play in

back out into the open sun

i think i see some balls!

a water-wall

a hotel of course

another park

railroad square historic district

railroad square

omelette express is the bomb

mixed-use

future Sonoma Marin Area Rail Transit (SMART) line

future mixed used development site

friends

looking out on 4th from the mall

looking down mendocino

i hope these pictures help give you guys a sense of the 'santa rosa' atmosphere. as you can see, it's definitely not urban, but it's beautiful and why i chose this place to raise my family.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,258,650 times
Those are great! We love to drive up for the day, and this reminds us why!

Old 01-29-2011, 10:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsueb View Post
This past October I was staying with friends in Mill Valley and I drove up to Santa Rosa to check the town out. I drove thru downtown and then went to Whole Foods. I was so disappointed in both of these areas that I didn’t explore further and just turned around and drove back to Mill Valley.

Prior to seeing Santa Rosa, I read online what a nice town it was and it sounded like a place I might want to move to. What attracted me to Santa Rosa was the weather, hiking and walking paths, close to ocean and other terrain, the population size, and the cost of living is not all that high, etc.

Now I regret not exploring more of Santa Rosa while I was there. Do you think I got an accurate idea of the area by just seeing the parts I saw? I guess I expected a more vibrant downtown area. And I don’t even remember the WholeFoods area, but it just didn’t that seem nice to me for whatever reason.

Sometimes first impressions are the best to go by. I’m just not sure in this case. Are there some nicer, maybe more sophisticated or quaint areas of Santa Rosa?

(I currently live in Oregon.)
I also had high hopes of Santa Rosa, but was disappointed after numerous visits. It feels too "country" and a bit run down. Have you been to Walnut Creek? It's a great city, I'd choose it over Santa Rosa anytime.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:13 AM

11 posts, read 36,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I also had high hopes of Santa Rosa, but was disappointed after numerous visits. It feels too "country" and a bit run down. Have you been to Walnut Creek? It's a great city, I'd choose it over Santa Rosa anytime.
Santa Rosa is definately not run down, it's wabi-sabi. do my photos show a run down town? there's a difference between rustic and run down. I doubt seven million tourists visit walnut creek every year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland