Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 12:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Im still not a big fan of skinny jeans on men tho.

San Francisco style: It's unforgettable - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 01:35 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
I'd say it's really practical. :P

I have to agree, skinny jeans on men is just weird. Especially if they are paired with, as my friend calls it "your 3rd grade t-shirt."

Old 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,154,836 times
San Francisco "street fashion" makes me ashamed to be male. Adults wearing their 12 year old brother's odd jacket and jeans (otherwise not a bad look). Skinny jeans, sneakers, jacket with one arm 2" shorter than the other, plaid shirt, and a green bow tie? I'm just confused. Third guys okay. Better to just be a total slob than put in whats obviously some appreciable effort and still look bad.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,296 times
I agree, I could never understand why wearing things that are way too tight for you became popular. It looks just as obnoxious as wearing extremely baggy clothes, but a lot more uncomfortable.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,547,429 times
Some of the most unattractive people on earth live/work in San Francisco. That's one think LA has us beat hands down on. There are two pretty girls in those slides (6 and 7). The rest are "Ugly Bettys" at best. The guys are the typical Hipster Doofus you see all over town. They'd be a laughing stock anywhere with a real sense of style (but try to tell them they're dorks with stupid haircuts in bad clothes).

Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
The folks in my work who have severe developmental disabilities universally dress better than these dudes. Without prompting from staff.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
San Francisco definitely is a hub of diverse and eclectic fashion. Some of the quirkiest and most eccentric yet stylish and fashion-forward clothing companies have bases in the City. For example, New York City's Brooklyn Circus has its only other flagship store outside of NYC in the Fillmore District in the Sco:

The Brooklyn Circus

Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times
Only a hipster in SF would want to dress like some one from Williamsburg,Brooklyn.

As for skinny jeans, its one of many things hipsters do to be authentic poseurs.

The skinny jean trend was started by skate-punks during the mid-late 90's during the "hesh vs fresh" era.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...sh%20to%20hesh

Pro Skaters would wear skinny jeans and would don tight gear with bad hair cuts typically as a marketing ploy to sell products to alienated suburban youth. A good example of this would be a pro skater named Chris Cole.

Hipsters of course thought this and skateboarding looked cool, but felt falling and actually having to learn something hard was not cool. So they simply bit the fashion and moved on. I saw skater types wearing those cheesy sun glasses that hipsters are wearing now, 10 years ago.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Only a hipster in SF would want to dress like some one from Williamsburg,Brooklyn.

As for skinny jeans, its one of many things hipsters do to be authentic poseurs.

The skinny jean trend was started by skate-punks during the mid-late 90's during the "hesh vs fresh" era.
Urban Dictionary: from fresh to hesh

Pro Skaters would wear skinny jeans and would don tight gear with bad hair cuts typically as a marketing ploy to sell products to alienated suburban youth. A good example of this would be a pro skater named Chris Cole.

Hipsters of course thought this and skateboarding looked cool, but felt falling and actually having to learn something hard was not cool. So they simply bit the fashion and moved on. I saw skater types wearing those cheesy sun glasses that hipsters are wearing now, 10 years ago.
I don't know. When I was growing up in SF in the 80's and early 90's it was totally different. The dress code in my neighborhood in Lakeview was Starter jackets and matching hats, fitted Levi's and Lee's and clean Jordans/Nike's back then. Although some of these clothing items were associated with drug dealers and gang bangers in many city neighborhoods across America back then, these retro pieces have made a huge comeback in fashion with Hipsters at the forefront. It's kinda ironic that some kids from generic suburbia that are rich enough not to work and live in a big expensive cosmopolitan city like NY or SF are donning a twenty year old inner city drug dealer uniform, but Hipster culture is ironic in itself.

http://chucksconnection.com/articles...your-life.html

Men wearing fitted jeans back in the 80's and early 90's was normal. A lot of things that are considered "Hipster"-ish today were regular fashions worn by regular people back then. After all, Hipster culture fetishizes the aesthetics of the urban working class as well as all things retro. As a grown man, I would rather wear clothes that fit than wear a huge baggy pair of Girbaud shuttle jeans that look like a dress that was, and still somewhat is, all the rage in a lot of Bay Area hoods. As for me, I buy whatever I like and don't try to look like a mannequin. You can go to a store like the link I posted and buy and item or too and inject your own personality into it so you don't look like a hipster. The East Coast has rubbed off on me as well so I stand out in terms of my fashion game whenever I go back to SF.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 03-26-2011 at 07:49 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Just go with the Spicoli checkered Vans slip-ons. Simple, cheap, effective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland