Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,991,989 times

Advertisements

This post is to inform everyone that uses SF tap water for bathing, cooking, showering, etc. about the potential effects of a chemical used for sanitizing the water called Chloramine.

Since 2004, the SFPUC has been using Chloramine instead of Chlorine to sanitize our water. However, Chloramine is a known skin irritant and can cause negative reactions in some people such as rashes, blistering and dry chapped skin, respiratory and digestive problems to name a few. If you have been suddenly having rashes on your skin and don't know why, Chloramine may be the culprit.

In addition, there are very few studies done on the long-term toxicity of Chloramine. A few potential dangers is how Chloramine can corrode pipes causing lead to leech in to the water.

As for my own story, shortly after moving to San Francisco, I began having sever chronic hives. The itchy burning hives would cover my entire body and would occur daily interfering with my sleep and subsequently my quality of life. My doctor, allergist, and myself had no clue what was causing them. Finally, from what I read on the Internet, I began to suspect Chloramine was the cause. We installed filters specially designed to remove Chloramine (regular filters don't work) in our home and I drink only Artesian bottled water now. It has been an expensive and tiring ordeal but now my hives have dramatically reduced. I still get some because avoiding tap water completely in SF is impossible and impractical.

There is a group called 'Citizens Concerned About Chloramine' based in the SF Bay Area who publish more info on their site, link below. There are also pictures on there of what the rashes look like:

Home - Citizens Concerned About Chloramine (CCAC)

SF water quality is great and considered by some the best in the nation but the addition of Chloramine has negated that. It is like taking a unicorn and cutting off its horn.

My hope is that the SFPUC will be pressured to use another alternative to sanitize the water so us poor people who react to it can find relief and we can avoid future potential long-term negative effects in the population overall. I also want to educate people about this as I am sure there are others who are having reactions and don't know what is the cause. So get informed and help get the word out!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 05:55 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Many communities around the Bay now use Chloramine...

I know it will kill fish and I believe EBMUD was fined for releasing drinking water into a creek

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Many communities around the Bay now use Chloramine...

I know it will kill fish and I believe EBMUD was fined for releasing drinking water into a creek
Thanks for the response. Yes, Chloramine is spreading everywhere. This is going to make for some interesting traveling experiences for me...

Old 04-20-2011, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,707 times
Thank you for posting this. I too, had the same problem, and can not use our tap water. Please get involved in CCAC! We need many, many, many people to pressure the SFPUC to change this disinfectant. Only by working together will we accomplish anything.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:52 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNord View Post
Thank you for posting this. I too, had the same problem, and can not use our tap water. Please get involved in CCAC! We need many, many, many people to pressure the SFPUC to change this disinfectant. Only by working together will we accomplish anything.
I see the real question as what are the substitutes available and the trade-offs with each?

It may be cost, or technology or side effects.

I'm interested in learning more about alternatives.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNord View Post
Thanks and glad to be able to connect with someone else who has the same issue with the tap water. That familiar line from movies "There must be something in the water" has never been more true. Btw, I recently had a blood test done to try to figure out what was causing the hives (prior to discovering it was the water) and they ruled out all diseases and were clueless however they did see my thyroid TSH level was somewhat elevated. I think the Chloramine is connected to this. I don't want to wait 5-10 years to find out what bad things Chloramine is doing to my body.

Definitly more testing needs to be done on the acute, short, and long-term effects of Chloramine on humans. For sure, I am going to contact the CCAC and get involved.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I see the real question as what are the substitutes available and the trade-offs with each?

It may be cost, or technology or side effects.

I'm interested in learning more about alternatives.
Yeah, I want to learn more about alternatives. The CCAC recommends filtering out organic matter, then adding the chlorine. This would avoid the formation of carcinogenic compounds which has led to the use of Chloramine in place of Chlorine. However, Chloramine still produces some of the same carcinogenic compounds as Chlorine and the don't really know the effects on humans in the acute, short and long-term.

I think the better approach would have been if the SFPUC conducted proper studies and put out educational pamplets on alternatives and such and let us vote on it rather than sneakily putting it into our water one day without any public say on the matter.

Last edited by mini_cute; 04-20-2011 at 10:04 PM..

Old 04-20-2011, 09:53 PM

SFGate.com news article from October 9, 2005 on addition of Chloramine to water, negative effects and improper statements/practices of SFPUC:

Examining Our H2O / Making great water better? - SFGate

Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 PM

6 posts, read 14,631 times
thanks for posting this. More people need to be aware and concerned about what is going into our water. PS, fluouride is NOT harmless either...

Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Please sign this petition to stop the use of Chloramine in tap water! This is a growing nationwide problem!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/sto...rinking-water/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland