Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,162 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are relocating to the east bay area so he can go to school in Vallejo. Vallejo, is pretty sketchy and we're thinking it would be best if we didn't live there. We have a large dog and are finding it kind of difficult to find a place to rent, that will allow for large dogs. I know they are out there, but thought perhaps someone might know of areas, websites, or other good advice when renting with a large dog. We are also looking for a place that won't be concerned about the breed of dog. We live in a house in Denver currently and it's never been an issue.

I will most likely be commuting for a job, and he will be commuting to Vallejo for school. I realize that I could end up commuting an hour or more one way if need be. So some of the areas we have been looking at are Benicia, Novato, Crockett. Are there other places that we should be looking/considering? We also don't want to go over $1800 for rent, and are willing to sacrifice space if we can have our dog.

Thanks!
Ruby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,094,301 times
For affordable rents and rental flexibilities, I'd look in North Concord - 3-4 bedrooms with a yard could go as cheaply as $1550-$1600/mo, Fairfield's Green Valley, or Hercules, etc.

You really don't need to insulate yourself that much (an hour drive for safety) is a bit much.

Fairfield's Green Valley is really nice. Even parts of Vallejo are habitable, to be sure. I'd happily rent in Glen Cove or for insulation-purposes, try Hiddenbrook. Vallejo isn't all bad. Generally, you'll find that being east of I-80 in Vallejo puts you into relatively good areas. Meanwhile, in Fairfield, you tend to want to be west of I-80.

Since you're coming from out of state, you're welcome to PM me and I'll be happy to send a little map of areas that are perfectly safe.

I PMed you with a few specific properties that I manage that are about to become available in those communities so you can get an idea with what you can expect. I know for sure the home in Concord will allow for a large dog (it also has a fenced-in yard). I'd be more than happy to give you the landlord's contact info privately.

Honestly, it'll be pretty easy to find what you're looking for within a 10-15 minute drive to work if that's what you want to do.

As a note, if you live on the other side of the Benicia or Carquinez Bridges, it's a $5 dollar toll to get to Vallejo (and free to cross back into Contra Costa County) which if you're going to be commuting to school everyday, but not closer to the Bay Area everyday, than I'd favor Fairfield, Vallejo, or Benicia more than I'd favor Crocket, Hercules, or Concord.

Good luck.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,025 times
Hey rubybullet, are you still interested? I have a property looking to rent out. Its a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house located in San Leandro,California. Very close to Vallejo. For $1300. If still interested, contact me at 415-513-8100

Old 08-02-2011, 01:17 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
But the dog might eat your property! Yeah, I'm tired of anti-pet landlords. Also San Leandro isn't "very close" to Vallejo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland