Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningWild View Post
What is the general feel of Sebastopol. Is it fairly friendly and open to outsiders, trying to make it their home?Are the locals rich and snooty or not? (Hope not!) Is it fairly liberal and artsy, as we have heard? I am darker in color and half Japanese, but I look Hispanic to most. This is fine, but how will I be treated? Is it easy to make friends? Do most people who have homes in Sebastopol, travel from San Francisco to Sebastopol on the weekends? Most of the houses seem to have large properties, so does Sebastopol feel like a community? Or, does it have problems, being separated by large parcels of land?
I'll also concur with ChuckVan about "liberal, progressive" West County. As for sense of community, I would say that there are a number of ways in which to enjoy a sense of community in Sebastopol as well as the county as a whole. Two events/groups that come to my mind are the "Science Buzz Cafe" and "Ignite!" nights. (You should be able to search these terms + Sebastopol to find info!) There is also a very nice farmer's market in the main square and community events like the Apple Blossom Festival and various plays in Ives Park. Beyond Sebastopol, there are numerous (art & wine) festivals throughout Sonoma County.

Quote:
Will my 5 year old like living there? Or will she tire of being in a "small" town? It looks like there are things to do there or in Santa Rosa, such as ballet, Aikido, yoga, etc, so I should be able to keep her busy and interested in a variety of things. Is this correct? Will I have to do a lot of driving? How are the schools? Will I have to put her in a private school? Is there a stigma or a problem with sticking my child in a public school? If I have to, I will place her in a private school, but it means living in a smaller house.
I understand the schools are still quite highly regarded in Sebastopol, and it seems to me that the community is very involved with and supportive of the public schools in the area. As far as youth activities, I believe that within Sebastopol there are numerous active groups such as GirlScouts, 4-H, and sports teams including swimming and soccer. While I am not as familiar with the specific activities you mentioned, I believe there is at least one yoga studio in town and Santa Rosa is indeed a short trip away.

Quote:
Which brings me to housing situations. I am used to living in a large Victorian and somewhat decent, larger houses, so when I look at the houses in Sebastopol, I am dying! If all goes well, I am hoping to be in the range of $500,000 to $1,000,000, but I have to do a lease/option. All I am seeing is crap, crap, crap- meaning small little houses with some property. It's a little scary to see so much crap for so much money! The houses are so much smaller than I am used to and I am seeing 50's, 60's, 70's houses that need to be torn down or rebuilt. They aren't even small, yet CUTE! It has us worried that we will be forced to purchase a tiny 1200-1500 square foot hut on 1-3 acres (if I am lucky) for $700,000 and up! I am just not used to this! I will accept it, eventually, but please tell me, somebody....what is going on in the housing market in Sebastopol? Are the prices dropping? Foreclosures? Or, are the prices remaining quite high? What do you foresee? What can I expect by next fall? Any ideas?
I am wondering if one issue might be that you are only searching inside the city boundaries of Sebastopol? When I search my favorite real estate site, I only see one listing given you parameters when I restrict to "Sebastopol", but when I remove the town's boundaries there are more listings that are in Sebastopol's school districts but outside of the town's borders. I see a number of 1+ acre, over 1500 sq ft houses in the price range you've mentioned. Granted, I may have a different threshold for not-a-hut.

Quote:
Also, does anybody have any ideas if the internet or cell phones are hard to use in this area? I HAVE to have a fast internet connection with no glitches. It is essential for my business. Does anybody have any ideas if there are any problems?
I have certainly run into bad cell phone areas, and some service providers seem to have better coverage than others. I would think that in general you would probably be fine with internet, but it is not uncommon to have sustained power outages a time or two per winter in the outskirts of Sebastopol due to downed power lines in the rainstorms.

To me, the biggest drawback of Sebastopol is the scarcity of nearby jobs that support the local cost of living. If you're confident about telecommuting, then that's not so much an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,332 times
I grew up in Sebastopol my whole life and went through Sebastopol schools and loved it. I have lived away from there for a while but I visit often and dream of it always. CA schools in general are hurting on funds, so this is something to consider, but I think the quality of education is great and many students I graduated with wen ton to top schools in the state and around the country. A friend of mine I graduated with was valedictorian at Harvard.
I am thirty now and love going back to visit and hang out around town. There is interesting shops, cafes, restaurants, community theater, ect, there is plenty to do. It is a great place to live and grow up in, very progressive, safe, good culture, very open people, extremely beautiful and wonderful weather. The housing market is high all over the bay area so you have to expect to take a big hit on this coming from Utah, but for your price range you should be able to find a nice property. It is a small town but it has more culture and art then cities ten times its size. It doesn't have the feel of a small town also because it is so close to Santa Rosa 15min form down town to down town, which will have most of all you would need as it is a city of over 350k people and has lots of restaurants, decent shopping, bars, clubs, arts. SF is only about an hour away also so if you want to be in the city you aren't to far away. You will fit in no matter you skin color, trust me it is anything but close-minded. It is a very liberal town in many ways but still has small town values. Think of Sebastopol as the progressive/liberal ideal American small town. Everyone I bring there from other places love it and want to settle down there, but remember it is a settling down kind of place and people like it that way. There are a lot of progressive companies in the area too and a lot of start up organic farms and producers. Go spend a week there before you move there and I promise you you will fall in love with it. If I had the kind of money you are looking to spend on a place there I would be back in a heartbeat.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM

63 posts, read 299,682 times
Thanks, Gypsy67 and the rest of you, for your interesting & helpful info. Gypsy67, did you move to Sebastopol? Sounds like we are quite similar. Keep in touch and let me know what you decide. I hope to move next year, so I still have time to decide. A lot depends on my commute. We work from home, but I may decide to go to law school, which may change a lot. Not too certain if I want to commute 4 days a week to San Francisco. Actually, I really don't, but it depends on the housing situation.

Since I last wrote this thread, I have looked closely at Mill Valley and San Rafael. I like the distance to San Francisco from Mill Valley. And then, I accidentally ran across Bodega Bay, where I see reasonable housing prices, beautiful looking ocean views and small town, outdoorsy feel. But the commute would be long, again. I don't know much about Bodega Bay, except that it is small and I would be nervous having my daughter grow up there. So, I have a bit more research to do. I still love Sebastopol, but I just don't love the commute, if I have to go to law school. Mill Valley might be a nice place for a child and for my commute. Housing is expensive, for what you get, I think, though. I guess I will have to start a thread on these places to find out more, or read others' threads. I haven't found much on Bodega Bay. Anybody have info on these places too?

Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times
Default Sebastopol Cool?

HI Running WIld..Did you ever make it to Sebastopol? We are a family from San Francisco and almost signed a lease up there but are hesitating and have all the questions you do. We have met people who say they love it and never want to leave, but then met a mom who moved up there we talked to said it wasn't as friendly and community vibed as it seemed....Maybe it was just her? She did come back to SF and start a parent playgroup pre-school so maybe she knows.... I don't know as that was 8 years ago. Anyone else on here care to comment?
I also have to commute to SF until I find work up there if we DO move though it is worth it to rent a house for the price we pay on a little one bedroom here in the city...The drive WITHOUT traffic is a little over an hour, which isn't too bad for a little while, but not that long. I wouldn't even consider it with traffic ( I work off hours).
As far as schools go, that is one of the big reasons we're thinking of the move. We have a three year old starting pre-school next year.There are some great waldorf charters up there , as well as others in nearby Petaluma and Santa Rosa. Nonetheless, anyone with experience there please chime in as it does have a great feel from the outsiders perspective! Thanks!

-B

Old 01-22-2012, 10:01 AM

63 posts, read 299,682 times
Default Schools & Community in Sebastopol & Mill Valley, CA

Hello, Ioreoea. Thanks so much for your post. Good timing. I have not moved, yet. My husband and I will be moving either this fall or by Christmas 2012, if all goes well. He is thinking of taking business trips out there to check it out. I am still pretty serious about Mill Valley or Sebastopol. I have begun to check out schools as well. I am finishing up my Masters in Education, so now I am incredibly concerned about the quality of schools. I am in the middle of my thesis/research project, so I haven't had much time to do my searches, in regard to schools. I have a 5 year old who will be in first grade next fall. I have had to switch schools, here, where I live, because she is "bored" at her kindergarten and I can't keep her busy enough! She is quite bright and I decided to send her to an inquiry-based school, where there is more hands-on and less worksheets and memorizing. I now have to drive 30 minutes away to get her to her new school. It has made me think about schools in California.

I have taken a look at the Waldorf school in Santa Rosa. I just emailed the principal and the science teacher because I am very concerned that I am not seeing science in the curriculum in the early grades. (A big concern for me- a biology undergrad major!) I haven't received a response, yet. I am also concerned because the Waldorf school keeps the same teacher, through-out 8th grade. I don't like this idea at all. To be fair, I haven't done a lot of research on the Waldorf method, but I am interested, as I like the over-all idea. I have done a bit of research on Montessori. I am not so interested. I am not against public schools, but I would like to see inquiry-based learning (amongst other qualities) in all schools.

I have done (minimal) school research online, so far, and there isn't a lot of information online in regard to each school in the Mill Valley or Sebastopol area. I am probably going to have to visit schools, before moving permanently. It has become a huge concern for me as well. I haven't researched Waldorf schools a lot, but as mentioned, I like the general idea. I was going to check and see if there are any Waldorf schools in the Mill Valley area. I am definately looking for an inquiry-based learning school and a school that will allow my child to move at a faster pace. I also need a school that is focused on utilizing and fostering childrens' creativity and independent thinking. I am asking a lot, I know. Although, I think that this isn't impossible!

So, another thought- I liked the idea of Sebastopol because it seems "down-to-earth". I wanted my daughter to have a dog, maybe a horse, and of course, our cats. I wanted her to garden, get dirty, and understand where her food comes from. I wanted her to have chores and learn responsibility through hard work. (Not hard labor! Hee, hee.) So, I liked the idea of Sebastopol because I could purchase a little bit of property, along with a decent house. (Yes, I have had to change my idea of what "decent" means, though! I am getting there!) I feel like Sebastopol offers family value, down-to-earthness, and long time friendships. (But, I don't really know.) Now, my worries about Sebastopol...my daughter is already advancing quickly in gymnastics and ballet. Believe me...I am not a tiger mom. Far from it. I want her to have fun, but be able to reach her potential. I am concerned that there isn't an excellent school, particularly, gymnastics, which is close to Sebastopol. I honestly haven't checked this out, yet. I am not really concerned about ballet, as I don't really think it is the healthiest type of dance. (Not that gymnastics is really super safe, either!) But she has done incredibly well at both, so I have a feeling that she may want to be active in both. How far will I have to drive, if I live in Sebastopol? I do demand great schools, for both of these, for a handful of reasons (safety and stimulation). I really am not a snob, myself, but I've discovered that great teachers make the learning process a lot more interesting, for my kid. OK, so another concern about Sebastopol has been the community. Mostly, I have heard a lot of good, but just like you, I have heard the occasional bad. Probably this is normal, though, but still, I have to wonder...Why? What is going on here? Really...what is the community like for outsiders? Would we fit in? Would we have to search out our friends or do they readily come knocking at our door? Do they have a friendly feel or do they have a snobby feel? What do they demand of their public schools? Is Sebastopol really that great? My other concern is the drive. I may attend school in San Francisco for 4 years. I would have to drive to San Francisco 4 - 3 days out of the week for 4 years. It doesn't sound like I will appreciate the drive. This forces me into Mill Valley, if I am serious about my school. But, for some reason, I have nostalgic feelings for Sebastopol (maybe reminds me of growing up on "the" farm), so I am not ready to let go of Sebastopol, just yet.

Now...Mill Valley.
Cons: More expensive for less house and property. No horse and maybe no gardening. Smaller space to live in and run around.
Pros: Nice area and close to San Francisco (school for me).

I don't know about schools in Mill Valley, except that I've heard, just like Sebastopol, that public schools are pretty good. I don't know what that means, really. I can't get any info off of the schools' websites. They aren't really very detailed. I haven't checked, much into private schools, etiher. Would love to know if there is a Waldorf school in Mill Valley area. Additionally, I have to think that there is just about anything that I want for my daughter, if she wants to continue in a certain sport, we can find pretty good sport schools in that area. I want to get her involved in yoga, meditation, Aikido, etc, as well. Now, my major concerns about Mill Valley is that my daughter turn into a snobby kid, who doesn't live in a farm-like community, which offers the things I mentioned above. What are her influences, in Mill Valley? Of course, it is up to parents to parent, but a child's neighbors and community are just as important. I need her to be "grounded", not snobby and arrogant. (Not suggesting that Mill Valley is that way, but I see Sebastopol more in the country and perhaps more "farmish" and grounded.) How will my kid turn out, depending on the locations' influences? And, what about schools? I definately need some answers on schools in both areas!

So, my "reply" is actually filled with the same questions that you have! I also welcome any information, from other experienced Mill Valley or Sebastopol locals, particularly in regard to community and schools. If you make the move before I do, please let me know what you find out! Would love to hear about it! I'm certain others would too. When I move, I will definately follow-up on my 2 blogs! I'm certain others would like to know what I will find out, after moving!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:17 AM

326 posts, read 529,462 times
Haha it seems the only posts I make on the boards is to talk up Marin. I don't live there so take it from an outsider looking in.

I love Mill Valley and most of Marin actually. The weather is going to be a little cooler than Sonoma and yes, housing stock is pretty expensive but arguably worth it. There are plenty of other places in Marin besides Mill Valley that might have what you're looking for. San Rafael is very nice and if you want a little more out of the way there is Fairfax and San Anselmo which have beautiful scenery but they're still fairly central.

Good luck, if your able to I would recommend you drive around and see what the different communities have to offer.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:05 PM

2 posts, read 6,109 times
Running Wild,
From the sounds of it, I'm not sure how much you would be comfortable with Waldorf if you are looking for anything resembling your academic past. There are a lot of things in the curriculum such as not formally teaching reading until 6-7, all student produced text books, using lots of stories and movement for learning early on, no tests / normal grading system...It is only in high school once certain brain and soul functions, according to Waldorf, are in place that students can begin rigorous academic exercises, which Waldorf kids generally seem to pick up with ease. At that point probably more is demanded out of Waldorf kids than almost any other curriculum I've seen. Check out their charter high school's website in nearby Rhonert Park ( Welcome to Credo High | Credo High School | 1290 Southwest Boulevard, Rohnert Park, California )
All of their curriculum is based on what is developmentally appropriate for a student at certain ages. The ideas of development were born out of the indications and teachings of Rudolf Steiner, an occultist ( I use this term in the positive sense, the word has gotten bastardized in this backwards culture of ours) from the late 1800's onwards...He saw what was best fit for the child as a soul incarnating into the body. While I am sympathetic to spiritual teachings, Steiner is REALLY out there, though a lot of his theories and practices are being backed by current brain and educational research 100 years later surprisingly enough. However a lot of uniformed parents somehow enroll their kids in these schools without doing their homework, and then freak out about various things, and you seem headed down that path perhaps. I am surprised you haven't even come across him in getting a masters in education. I guess it is very telling of the state of our institutions today......
I work in public education, have strong feelings on these things, and have done enormous amounts of research on different modalities for my daughter's education before she was even born and I can honestly say that there is a lot of sense in Waldorf's approach, which starts from before birth and goes well beyond. But you really have to look into it for yourself and see as they usually want committed parents who are in tune with their methods. Like not allowing any form of television or computer media until 12 or so, and no computers in school until high school. Plus it is enrollment season and you would have already had to attended some meetings and likely put in an application by now if you wanted your daughter in a kindergarten for next year out here so perhaps this is a moot point.
You might want to check out Orchard View School (https://sites.google.com/a/orchardvi...ew-school/home) which is more of an open ended self directed type environment with teacher and guidance counselor's directing projects and what not with the kids. It is an independent study charter school. They have credentialed subject teachers. Looks interesting and sounds like it might fit what your daughter needs/ you want.
Either way, there are A LOT of interesting educational opportunities in the North Bay which is why we want to get up there. However if you want to continue your education , it is couple hour OR MORE commute each way during peak times in which case you might want to consider Mill Valley, which I know next to nothing about but would imagine there has to be some good schools with all the money floating around there...Guess it just depends where your priorities are.
I know I personally stopped many of my educational pursuits, took a pay cut which caused us to have to live in a tiny apartment so that I could witness and be in highly involved in my daughters formative years as there is nothing more important than having both parents around as much as possible those first 3-4 years. IT is when lifelong habits and patterns are set which are later hard to break. You might want to consider chilling on your education and focus on your daughters now. There is nothing more important.
As far as her turning into a snob, I am surprised you are even concerned about that. The child will imitate inwardly and outwardly everything the parents do. If you are snobby she will be too. Pretty simple ( considering the fact that you think not having a horse is a "Con" to mill valley might tell you something - I would just be grateful for a washer and dryer in my building, if not my home!). Good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,655,977 times
Sebastopol is nice if you want liberal small town. What about healdsburg, St. Helena or Calistoga?

Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,986 times
Don't forget to look at foreclosures. There are lots of them in Sonoma County and you'd have lots of $ left over to make it over to suit you. Many foreclosures aren't fixer-uppers either. That what I'm doing in my search for a new home in CA.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,152,355 times
OP,
I would suggest looking at rural Petaluma too.. Or the east/southeast side of Sebastapol. Get you a little closer to SF for that school commute... If you do not need to travel during rush hours the trip is not bad for a few days a week.

Petaluma schools can be a bit more sketchy though....

Having grown up a rural farm boy... I would say the educational/life experience value of having elbow room and raising crops and animals is priceless for a child..

Yes, West county is on our list too... .. A million dollars for a shack and 10 acres... Yep... West county is perfect in every way except that one..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland