Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:47 PM

310 posts, read 651,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
You don't even live here yet dude, wait till you get here then you can play armchair sociologist.
I didn't mean to sound like some kind of Rockridge expert, mayor. I was just speculating based on what I've read about RR demographics, and what I know about Lincoln Park. I guess I was sort of asking too about the other (non-demographic) elements in comparing the 2 neighborhoods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
And yeah winters are mild here compared with Chicago, but it gets into the 40's a lot and rains a lot, and constant rains when it's that cold gets old after a while.
40's and rainy still doesn't sound like "winter" to me...but hey, it's all subjective.

- a daily "high" temperature of 8 degF, a foot of snow on the ground, and 30-mph wind gusts that cut right through you no matter what you're wearing...NOW we're talking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 03:48 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAvenue_to_Oakland View Post
Ah, so there is at least some free (non-metered) street parking in the City, if one can find it.

And, that's an all-day price for a lot or garage, right?

So, $15 for parking + $5 one-way bridge toll = $20 round trip for Oakland to SOMA and back? And no worries about catching BART, late hours, etc...
Meters expire typically at 6PM or so (there are only a few areas where the meters work after 6 or 7). The residential streets typically do not have meters. Depending on the location of the lot, there are all day specials or early bird specials or night time specials. In North Beach the night time price is around $20, day time is about $10. In SOMA the day price (before 7) is about $10, and street parking is easy at night. Other neighborhoods tend to charge by the hour or have a set price, but there are potential options in the residential streets. Especially if you are early. It isn't a huge burden occasionally, but if it was everyday it is good to use transit.

One warning is there are lots of streets in SF where street sweeping starts at midnight. Read the signs carefully. Some of them cheat and even do it on Friday and Saturday nights.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In SOMA the day price (before 7) is about $10, and street parking is easy at night. Other neighborhoods tend to charge by the hour or have a set price, but there are potential options in the residential streets. Especially if you are early.
Great info! This whole driving into the City thing (when necessary) is starting to sound more reasonable all the time! (depending on timing and destination, of course)

If I start dating someone from the City, I'll just have to make sure she lives in SOMA... (channeling George Castanza)

Quote:
One warning is there are lots of streets in SF where street sweeping starts at midnight. Read the signs carefully.
Yep, I learned this the hard way living in Chicago. (2) $100 tickets and a tow job later...lesson learned.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlandbus View Post
I live in the older neighborhood of Montclair and I am married, so perhaps that has something to do with it....My perception is based solely on the bar scene, which seems to be less fratty, more subdued, and less enibriated then Denver.
In other words, the Bay Area bar scene is a touch classier compared to Denver. That works for me...my "frat party" days are a distant memory. Also, from what I've learned (locals, please correct me if I'm wrong), I think Bay Area singles tend to meet moreso through common-interest groups and events, community activities / volunteering and mutual friends / connections than they do at the bar / club scene per se. You probably wouldn't have noticed this yet being a Montclair newcomer and not yet really stitched in to the fabric of the community.

One other thing though as to the relative number of bars in Oakland vs. Denver - what you say may be true, but then you have to factor in that OAK is just a medium-sized city in the middle of a much larger metro area, which also has a good social scene. You can go out not only in Oakland, and of course SF, but also Berkeley, Walnut Creek, even South Bay, etc. Denver proper may blow Oakland away in terms of overall number of bars, but it's not like Denverites will typically head out to, say, Englewood, for a night on the town. Boulder maybe, but that's about it as a Denver alternative.

Side note: Geez, I'm really starting to sound like I'm trying to justify my decision to go with Oakland over Denver...hmmm....

But at the end of the day, about 2.5 million people call Denver metro home vs. 7 million+ for the Bay Area. I still think Denver is a great city, on clearly on the rise, but IMO in a lot of ways it just doesn't compare to the Bay Area. Which is a good thing...we want to be able to justify that 30% premium!

Quote:
Denver is the type of place where people venture from their midwestern towns for a few years to partake in "City life" then, when they have kids and decide that they want more out of career, they move back home or somewhere else... it is very transient.
Wow, that's interesting. I never thought of Denver as a "transient" place, but moreso as a medium-sized city on the rise where people are moving to as singles, and eventually settle down and stay. That said...it's totally understandable that transplants may spend a few years in the heart of Denver for the experience, and then at some point move out to a burb like Louisville or Superior to raise their family. But it sounded like you were saying that they move out of Denver metro completely. Interesting.

You also characterized Denver as VERY Midwestern. Certainly tons of midwestern transplants there, but wouldn't you also say a lot of California (especially Bay Area) and Texas transplants as well? btw - I'm lumping Boulder into that as transplant destinations.

Quote:
Either way, I am sure you will find your place. As I mentioned, we had to jump on ours (when you are out here, I would recommend making a quick decision about a rental if you like it)...Good luck with your move!
Thanks! I'm hoping to find a reasonably priced in-law quarters in a cool area, or maybe a duplex with a small yard. I'm not really the apartment-type anymore, but I can do it if I have to. Good insight on the tight rental market...that explains alot actually.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:31 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakAvenue_to_Oakland View Post
Ah, so there is at least some free (non-metered) street parking in the City, if one can find it.
That's like playing the lottery.

And many spots that arent metered require parking permits which are stickers only SF residents can acquire.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:19 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's like playing the lottery.

And many spots that arent metered require parking permits which are stickers only SF residents can acquire.
True, but that only applies during the daylight hours.

I have different rules for daytime visits vs pm visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland