Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:16 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times

Advertisements

We're comparing apples and oranges here, people. Next, why don't we compare NY with LA? OK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 11:31 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
AH! I forgot something major, Boston is littered with Dunkin' Donuts! Why? It's so disgusting, donuts are stale, coffee is less than bland, everything about it is for a lack of a better description, blech.
So? Do you want every city to be a plastic, pretentious, yuppie-Disneyland like SF with a French Bistro and Sushi bar everywhere? Boston, unlike SF, is not a lifestyle city!

Old 07-31-2010, 11:44 AM

3,473 posts, read 5,266,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
So? Do you want every city to be a plastic, pretentious, yuppie-Disneyland like SF with a French Bistro and Sushi bar everywhere? Boston, unlike SF, is not a lifestyle city!
True, Boston is older, more real, more down do Earth. SF is definitely a lifestyle city, and I've often compared it to Disneyland -- hey, there's Chinatown, the Italian district, Gay World, Yuppieville, Glamorous Waterfront, Mini-hattan! But I actually like those aspects of SF, so for me, I'd take it over Boston any day... :-) I like being able to experience so many different worlds in one small place. Even the Bay Area itself has wine countries, both rugged coastline and sandy summer beaches, both forested coastal mountains and hot dusty interior valleys,both cities and suburbs, nerds vs. hipsters, country music vs. hip hop, liberal vs. conservative. It's a place of extremes, massive extremes that reflect the intersection of all things Pacific Rim, the north and south, and the east and west. That's what makes SF so exciting. Don't like something about SF? Go around the corner, and it will all be different. That is not Boston.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,240,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Just give it a rest dude.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Just give it a rest dude.
Are you denying my statement or what? Hey, in this town a $15 burger with extra $2 for cheese and $5 for fries is becoming the norm. Admittedly these are good burgers but at the end of the day its still a burger and has far more unhealthy calories compared to cheap fast food burger. People over here love this $20 burger meal and then sneer at make fun of the poor people eating their $5 meal at McDonalds! Their is nothing wrong with upscale, gourmet places but the obsession people have with these over here is nauseating! So keep making fun of Dunkin donuts and 7-11 and watch the next sushi bistro, wine bar and organic pet food store going up in your neighborhood

Old 07-31-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Don't like something about SF? Go around the corner, and it will all be different.
Yes thats actually the best part.... Getting the heck out of the city! For me going to Berkeley is usually therapeutic...Very urban, tonnes of good cheap restaurants and none of the pretentiousness and so called upscale snobbery like SF. Just a trip to Berkeley bowl alone is worth driving across the bridge!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:45 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Absolutely beautiful! Tell me, what is "legal" seafood?
Legal Seafood is a yummy restaurant - Legal Sea Foods - The Standard for Quality and Freshness in the Restaurant Business.

P.S. to the other poster - I love Dunkin! A latte and a breakfast bagel for $4, can't beat it. While the microroasters in SF & environs are nice, sometimes I just want a cheap, easy breakfast + coffee.

And no, healthy lifestyle is not really a big concern like it is here. You won't find organic produce around every corner (though they do have Whole Foods), it's more of a comfort food culture.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
P.S. to the other poster - I love Dunkin! A latte and a breakfast bagel for $4, can't beat it. While the microroasters in SF & environs are nice, sometimes I just want a cheap, easy breakfast + coffee.
Thats scandalous! How could you like something that is cheap, comes from a chain store, is not organic soy latte and isn't hand made by a grumpy looking hipster who haven't had a shower for a month??? You Sir, clearly don't belong in this fine city!

Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,225,865 times
Andy, why so bitter? I think we get the idea that you dislike a lot of aspects of SF, no need to continue with the snarky remarks, we get the idea, yeah?

While SF is not technically a part of PNW, it has more similarities with Portland and Seattle than it does with other CA cities, I tend to just lump them together.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yes, I was wondering about that too -- what does the PNW have to do with anything?

Tully's is decent, and I think they're from Seattle, am I wrong?

Actually, I love the local microroasters in SF. Four barrell, Ritual, Blue Bottle, etc .
Well, I sort of understand the comparison to the PNW as that would be the closest thing you can really get to SF.

Tully's is from Seattle. I'm not sure how far south they go but they're not in San Diego yet. The Bay Area may be it. SF does have a lot of decent local micro-roasters as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland