Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM

64 posts, read 89,147 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is moving to Oakland (Rockridge) for my job. My wife has been offered a position on Brotherhood Way in SF. We did some extensive Googling, and the public transportation option (car is out of the question) is the BART to Daly City. We're trying to evaluate how doable is the commute.

The no-transfer BART trip looks fine. The question is what happens after arriving in Daly City. Google Maps suggests a long walk from Daly City BART to Brotherhood Way, about a mile away. Inspecting the route using the new 45 degree view (which is pretty incredibly detailed, by the way) shows a walk along some questionable not-even-sidewalks.

It suggests walking up St Charles Ave, then over the overpass, then through what appears to be a residential neighborhood (still St Charles), then down a hill path of some sort, then ALONG THE MEDIAN on Brotherhood, going under the overpass at Junipero Serra! What?!

Bing Maps, on the other hand, suggests the 28 bus from Daly City, which sounds promising as I imagine the bus should be easily accessible at the station, but the bus after a few stops lets you off at Junipero Serra just past the cloverleaf over Brotherhood. And then it tells you to walk down the cloverleaf ramp and then again by the median down Brotherhood ...

The question I'd like to ask is whether locations on Brotherhood are essentially unsafe to walk down from the BART station, as these two services seem to suggest.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! It's hard to comprehend without being on the spot, but of course, we need to make a decision ...

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,720,909 times
The bus system in the Daly City area is SamTrans.com - home and it looks like the 28 bus is the right one. Brotherhood Way is actually across the line in San Francisco.

Plan B: Take BART into SF and change to Muni "M" light rail at any of the downtown stations. The "M" car goes along Randolph and Broad Sts. near Brotherhood Way.

Plan C: Take BART to the Balboa Park station and take the "M" car to near Brotherhood Way.

www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/M-layer.pdf

Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
I'm pretty sure taking BART to Balboa Park and transferring to the M would be best. It will be a crappy commute, probably about 30 minutes just to Balboa Park from RR, then the M is very pokey and its frequency can be pretty erratic, though I don't think it's a really far distance to Brotherhood Way...she'll want a good book, it will probably be about 50-60 minutes or so depending on when she can catch an M and how far your home is from Rockridge BART.

Check 511.org and punch in your start and stop locations and it will give you several different public transit options for any location.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:55 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Walking and the 28 are the quickest options. It also depends where on Brotherhood she is working. She could take the 28 and transfer to the 18 which would drop her at Lake Merced and Brotherhood. Other than that your options are fairly limited if you drive. I lived on 19th avenue just up from that cloverleaf Muni drop off back in the late 1980's. I would not want my wife walking through there especially at rush hour. Lets just say the neighborhood along St Charles is not a good one to walk through.
Try the 54 from Balboa. I bet it has a stop along brotherhood.
Good Luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,932 times
I would take Bart to Civic Center,take the M to Holloway and walk the back streets over to Brotherhood Way. Like This:

Directions from 19th Ave & Holloway Ave San Francisco, California to Brotherhood Way & Chumasero Dr San Francisco, California

There is also Muni route 17 from Holloway that gets close to there however it comes only every 30 minutes. You could check nextbus and if it is coming soon wait for it.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/17-layer.pdf

If it was raining I would take Bart to Daly City and pay $5 or $6 for a very short cab ride.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:41 PM

Thanks everyone. I'll be checking out the routes online. The job is just a little ways past the Junipero Serra/Brotherhood intersection (650 Brotherhood).

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM

The Balboa Park BART 54 and Muni routes to Brotherhood all rely on walking along Brotherhood Way for a significant distance, but the issue is that it doesn't look like there's a safe sidewalk for the full length of the walk (to a little past Junipero Serra).

I'm not sure where the 18 drops you off, but it might not make sense because the 28 dropoff is actually walking distance from the job -- except for the fact that you have to walk on the highway after you get off the bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Walking and the 28 are the quickest options. It also depends where on Brotherhood she is working. She could take the 28 and transfer to the 18 which would drop her at Lake Merced and Brotherhood. Other than that your options are fairly limited if you drive. I lived on 19th avenue just up from that cloverleaf Muni drop off back in the late 1980's. I would not want my wife walking through there especially at rush hour. Lets just say the neighborhood along St Charles is not a good one to walk through.
Try the 54 from Balboa. I bet it has a stop along brotherhood.
Good Luck.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Looks like 511.org gives the same suggestion as Bing -- go to the Daly City BART, then take the 28 to Junipero Serra and Brotherhood. Perhaps the maps view is wrong, but that stop looks ultra dangerous to get on Brotherhood. You have to get on the on-ramp with the cars!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

From Civic Center again the same problem ... walking along Brotherhood Way. I'm attaching a picture of that cloverleaf to the east of Junipero Serra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
I would take Bart to Civic Center,take the M to Holloway and walk the back streets over to Brotherhood Way. Like This:

Directions from 19th Ave & Holloway Ave San Francisco, California to Brotherhood Way & Chumasero Dr San Francisco, California

There is also Muni route 17 from Holloway that gets close to there however it comes only every 30 minutes. You could check nextbus and if it is coming soon wait for it.

http://www.sfmta.com/cms/mmaps/documents/17-layer.pdf

If it was raining I would take Bart to Daly City and pay $5 or $6 for a very short cab ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Daly City BART walkability to Brotherhood Way-brotherhood-cloverleaf.png  

Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM

This may be an irresolvable puzzle. I'm just shocked that a major road with destinations (Brotherhood Way) doesn't have a safe sidewalk for pedestrians. I thought SF was supposed to be a walking city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland