Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,164,063 times

Advertisements

Forget about Santa Cruz. My brother went to UCSC and lived with some local surfers. The local surf rats are super white trash. They carry knives and razor blades in the water for "kooks" who "snake" "their" waves. They had bumper stickers that said "keep our beaches clean close 17" and "valley's(silicon) go home". If they saw cars with dealer ship markings from the bay area at "their" surf spots, they would slash the tires.

Here are some local natives doing what they do best: acting like turd nuggets

locals only (this is what happens if you show up to our spot with an attitude. YOU GET BOOOOED!!) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 12:09 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
.But, the differences in climate are not nearly as different as many outisders likely assume.
You're trying to compare the sunniest, warmest parts of SF that are several miles from the ocean to areas directly on the ocean in Southern CA, not quite an apples to apples comparison. The difference of weather directly on the coast and beaches of Southern and Northern CA are indeed very significant. There is a reason why Southern CA has such a significant beach culture and Northern Ca lacks it completely except Santa Cruz and maybe the Monterey area. I grew up going to the coast in Northern Ca all the time anywhere from Big Sur up to Mendocino and lived 9 years in SD within 3 miles of the ocean including the last five years 8 blocks from the sand. I went to the beach every weekend as well as several times during the week after work and swam in the water during summer. One summer I spent nearly 4-6 hours at the beach almost every day because I was taking just one or two summer classes and wasn't working. The beach scene's between Northern CA and Southern Ca is like night and day, there is a big difference imo in my 28 years of experience with both.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Forget about Santa Cruz. My brother went to UCSC and lived with some local surfers. The local surf rats are super white trash. They carry knives and razor blades in the water for "kooks" who "snake" "their" waves. They had bumper stickers that said "keep our beaches clean close 17" and "valley's(silicon) go home". If they saw cars with dealer ship markings from the bay area at "their" surf spots, they would slash the tires.
This is actually a pretty good point that I forgot about. Local SC surfers, especially natives, are some of the biggest douchebags on earth. I went to college with several and they would talk about crap like this and be proud.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
This is actually a pretty good point that I forgot about. Local SC surfers, especially natives, are some of the biggest douchebags on earth. I went to college with several and they would talk about crap like this and be proud.

The best part was these dudes my brother lived with would chew tabacco and had lifted pick up trucks with big wheels. Everytime people try tell me rednecks can't be found on the coast I laugh and simply tell them to go to the two cities that fight over the name "Surf City". -Santa Cruz and Huntington Beach.

No one there messed with my brother tho, he is an A's fan and he is black so I think they figured he was from Oakland and they were cool towards him.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:43 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
he is black so I think they figured he was from Oakland and they were cool towards him.
Or afraid. They might not have ever run across such a person in their lives.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Or afraid. They might not have ever run across such a person in their lives.
That is was what I figured. They don't usually try that tough guy locals only crap when they see blacks or mexicans- who clearly do not work in the fields.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyway31 View Post
I confess to being shocked by what I said when I first found out about it. I called the Southern California Air Quality Managment district and said "Hey, I see where SD has worse air quality than the coastal parts of L.A. county. This can't possibly be true, can it?" The person told me that, indeed, I hadn't misread things. They mentoned wind patterns and how basically the pollution of L.A. county still makes its way down to SD. Sure, Riverside and the inland parts of L.A. metro have worse air quality. But, Hermosa Beach in L.A. county will consistently have slightly cleaner air than, say, Pacific Beach in SD. Not a huge difference, but certainly enough to debunk a lot of myths.
So you're comparing all of SD County to just coastal LA. Again, not an apples to apples comparison. Air Quality in San Diego varies greatly between the coast and inland just as it does in LA.

After playing around with some data on this site, I found no evidence of the air in Coastal LA being cleaner than COASTAL San Diego. If anything COASTAL SD is slightly cleaner, not by much though.

Select 8 Summary-First Steps

LA has a ton of industry near or along the coast too, such as refineries and one of the world's largest and busiest ports, which is a significant source of air pollution on its own.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Just got back from SD yesterday and the beaches were covered in fog the entire time I was down there. Granted, where I was staying in North Park was warm and sunny, but I was a bit bummed that I couldn't really lay out and tan on the beach

Old 08-20-2011, 01:06 AM

21 posts, read 30,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Ocean Beach is the coldest and foggiest part of San Francisco. You will have to have a high tolerance for cold temperatures in the air and ocean. I surfed a lot in Australia, but tried a couple times in San Francisco and didn't enjoy it. If you love surfing, if you want to compete in competitions, SoCal is the better choice.
I've been surfing in SoCal since I was 10 years old and the waves are awesome, not like Australia, but awesome to me. That said, I'm going to drive the 30 minutes to Mavericks and I'll make sure I bring my wet suit. In Malibu, I usually only wore a wet top not necessarily for the cold but to protect my upper body from the board. I thinking in Half Moon Bay I'm going to need the whole suit for the cold. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Local SC surfers, especially natives, are some of the biggest douchebags on earth. I went to college with several and they would talk about crap like this and be proud.

I swear I wasn't like that, I just wanted to surf and took it seriously enough to respect other surfers.

Old 08-20-2011, 02:00 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrb View Post
Does anyone here live in SF and surf? How often is there surf? I don't mean how often is there perfect firing lefts, but how often can you surf say Ocean Beach or Linda Mar?
Dont know about the surf... but the permanently cold, foggy, dog-poo covered beaches in SF are not exactly appealing places to visit. Have fun if you like filth and horrible weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland