Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,505,790 times

Advertisements

This about sums up the pathetic view of some people. As for the bake sale :

Namely, provide a rebuttal to :
"If you're going to compare the Bake Sale to Affirmative Action…the only way it would be comparable is if the flour, oven, and all baking materials were stolen from the people that are required to pay the lowest prices. And if the baked goods from all prior bake sales were made for free by the minorities while white students reaped all the profits…which resulted in unequal opportunities to purchase baked goods in the current sale."

Context .. Especially historical context provides a lot if you want to have an intelligent debate. It's obvious that most people in this country don't want to have one or are incapable due to the small size of their brains.

And if no one has brought up the jews into this.. Let me nip that in the bud right away :
Throughout my travels in Germany I came to learn about a great deal of programs/payments they gave the jews for what they did ...

German reparations for World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_...r_World_War_II

Germany end World War One reparations after 92 years with £59m final payment | Mail Online
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...l-payment.html

Germany finishes paying WWI reparations, ending century of 'guilt' - CSMonitor.com
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europ...ntury-of-guilt

Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reparat...d_West_Germany

Some countries around the world are sorry for what they did to a race of people .. They engaged in repayment/rehabilitation and like any sociologist would tell you, it takes about 3-4 generations for such healing to take place.. Civil rights occurred in the late 70's.. AA was created as a way to enforce it .. and has validity for 3-4 generations .. There aren't any strong arguments against it because, due to the history of this nation, it has a valid place in society and will for about 2-3 more generations as 1 has just elapsed. You'll note the ignorant quality of people's arguments in opposition to this .. which largely ignores the long and huge historical context for which no reparations were paid. Those standing in the rightful ground of this debate are not the ones who are mad .. Those crying bloody murder over something that is owed to a group of people that this country exploited are the ones w/ the problem.

You are born into this country/immigrate to this country and take great advantage of what it has to offer... you don't hear anyone complaining about that .. Well, don't complain about the huge debts it occurred on its way to where it is .. The national debt is something that exists due to historic activity.. The debt this nation owes to African Americans (select others) exist due to its historic activity. Both have validity and are the responsibility of our govt. and, by proxy, every person who decides to become a citizen. Get over it and **** or find another country to be a part of that doesn't have such an obligation.

This bake sale is nothing more than a bunch of bored white boys being smart A$$es to get attention and demonstrates nothing but their ignorance... And to think, these are some of the future business owners of America. If anything, their ignorant display, reinforces the need for AA .... One surely wouldn't expect such h00ns to give a minority an equal chance as someone of their own race (one of the goals of AA as it relates to employment).

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 09-27-2011 at 06:06 PM..

Old 09-27-2011, 08:39 PM

16 posts, read 47,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganongrey View Post
Yeah.

I'm upset with my station in life so I'm going to blame it on minorities. If it wasn't for affirmative action I'd be the CEO of some large corporation right now.

If you're concerned (or jealous) of the jobs at the DMV (regardless of the fact that the DMV obviously doesn't attract the brightest and best) it's probably better for you to blame minorities for your shortcomings rather than deal with the painful cognitive dissonance that awaits a more thoughtful review of the issues.

I'm a Republican. I live in Texas.
I'm a Civil Engineer and I make the typical engineer salary, I worked my ass off for my degree so it pisses me off when people sit around and ***** about how much they are oppressed all the time. If they just sacked up and did work they would be fine, they are the ones who blame people for their life sucking. Yeah rich people have a lot of money but not ALL of it; there is plenty of money for everyone else to make as well

Old 09-27-2011, 09:08 PM

16 posts, read 47,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

"If you're going to compare the Bake Sale to Affirmative Action…the only way it would be comparable is if the flour, oven, and all baking materials were stolen from the people that are required to pay the lowest prices. And if the baked goods from all prior bake sales were made for free by the minorities while white students reaped all the profits…which resulted in unequal opportunities to purchase baked goods in the current sale."

Context .. Especially historical context provides a lot if you want to have an intelligent debate. It's obvious that most people in this country don't want to have one or are incapable due to the small size of their brains.

And if no one has brought up the jews into this.. Let me nip that in the bud right away :
Throughout my travels in Germany I came to learn about a great deal of programs/payments they gave the jews for what they did ...

Germany end World War One reparations after 92 years with £59m final payment | Mail Online

Germany finishes paying WWI reparations, ending century of 'guilt' - CSMonitor.com

Reparations Agreement between Israel and West Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some countries around the world are sorry for what they did to a race of people .. They engaged in repayment/rehabilitation and like any sociologist would tell you, it takes about 3-4 generations for such healing to take place.. Civil rights occurred in the late 70's.. AA was created as a way to enforce it .. and has validity for 3-4 generations .. There aren't any strong arguments against it because, due to the history of this nation, it has a valid place in society and will for about 2-3 more generations as 1 has just elapsed. You'll note the ignorant quality of people's arguments in opposition to this .. which largely ignores the long and huge historical context for which no reparations were paid. Those standing in the rightful ground of this debate are not the ones who are mad .. Those crying bloody murder over something that is owed to a group of people that this country exploited are the ones w/ the problem.

You are born into this country/immigrate to this country and take great advantage of what it has to offer... you don't hear anyone complaining about that .. Well, don't complain about the huge debts it occurred on its way to where it is .. The national debt is something that exists due to historic activity.. The debt this nation owes to African Americans (select others) exist due to its historic activity. Both have validity and are the responsibility of our govt. and, by proxy, every person who decides to become a citizen. Get over it and **** or find another country to be a part of that doesn't have such an obligation.

This bake sale is nothing more than a bunch of bored white boys being smart A$$es to get attention and demonstrates nothing but their ignorance... And to think, these are some of the future business owners of America. If anything, their ignorant display, reinforces the need for AA .... One surely wouldn't expect such h00ns to give a minority an equal chance as someone of their own race (one of the goals of AA as it relates to employment).
That is Germany, this is the United States. People left Europe and came to the United States because they did not want to be like Europe. So why would we model our policies off of a country in Europe?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,904 times
Quote:

We do not need affirmative Action, nor do we need black history month(I know another subject but I think in the case of the quoted post it is tied). If you want to know why go watch/listen to Morgan Freeman.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesta1992 View Post
That is Germany, this is the United States. People left Europe and came to the United States because they did not want to be like Europe. So why would we model our policies off of a country in Europe?
You ever heard of logic/understanding/comprehension? .. It's something that intelligent people posses .. Utilize and make decisions based on .. intelligent people are in Europe and the United states. However, it's obvious that there are idiots over there as well as here.

Great logic you presented there.. Yeah, why would we want to show that we have the ability to understand cause/effect and that we as a country want to fix something we did .. Thanks for sharing that .. The would of course is a better place when you steamroll people and just keep on trucking.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
We do not need affirmative Action, nor do we need black history month(I know another subject but I think in the case of the quoted post it is tied). If you want to know why go watch/listen to Morgan Freeman.
And I care what Morgan Freeman has to say why?
Since you're bright, why don't you provide an argument w/ supporting analysis/facts that takes into account the historical context and explain why we don't need AA . You can start by researching what exactly AA is....

Old 09-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
And I care what Morgan Freeman has to say why?
Since you're bright, why don't you provide an argument w/ supporting analysis/facts that takes into account the historical context and explain why we don't need AA . You can start by researching what exactly AA is....
ok, instead of trying to belittle other people to make you feel better about yourself how about you be a little more respectful than making sarcastic remarks about others. It doesn't make you sound more intelligent, and really just isn't nice.

I know what affirmative action is I don't think it is needed because why should I care about what some white guys great grandaddy did to my great grandaddy. If we all live and let live instead of complaining then racism wouldn't be as much of problem. The problem with affirmative action is that in gives specialties to minorities because of what happened in the past before their generation was even born. Now it is good know and acknowledge history and what happened but not in this way. Affirmative action creates a stigma of guilt about a certain races past. For example: we have black history month, that should be eradicated because history about African Americans is American History not exclusively black history. But Affirmative Action reinforces this social acceptance of having a separate history month for certain races except for whites because of the guilt which is used to further the cause of Affirmative Action. Get rid of AA, get rid of the guilt, forgive/live and let live and everyone will get along much better than we do now.

Yes I am bright, thanks

Old 09-28-2011, 08:55 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
[quote=MattClyde;21073150]
Quote:
The problem with affirmative action is that in gives specialties to minorities because of what happened in the past before their generation was even born.
And, the brutal oppression of millions in the (not so distant) past has no bearing on the predictable state of the present? Really?

Quote:
Yes I am bright, thanks
As a black hole.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:35 PM

[quote=bigdumbgod;21077170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post

And, the brutal oppression of millions in the (not so distant) past has no bearing on the predictable state of the present? Really?

As a black hole.
I never said that, our present is definitely shaped by what has happened in the past but that doesn't mean we as Americans need to treat certain races with special needs. Many things that have created our modern society have been affected by the past but if there is a job offering between me and a white guy, I don't to get the job because I am black. I want to get the job because I earned it.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:46 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Yes I am bright, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland