Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 01:37 PM

330 posts, read 749,857 times

Advertisements

I think San Francisco is definitely the best city in the US, that's why I chose to move here. In my opinion you have to evaluate SF based on the entire package it offers. Here's why I think its so great:

No other US city offers vibrancy, diversity, density, culture, architecture, history AND ("and" being the key word) is also in an incredibly beautiful natural setting with temperate weather.

For example, NYC and Chicago? As vibrant, diverse, culturally/historically significant, and architecturally stunning as they come. In fact I'd probably admit that SF lags a bit behind both cities in those areas (but not by much!).
But in SF I can ride my bike 30 minutes and be on the beach, immersed in a forest, in one of the many beautiful city parks, or on top of a hill overlooking the Bay. And because of the famous hills, it sometimes feels like everywhere you go in SF offers a stunning view. NYC and Chicago just don't offer that, not to say they don't have nice views in certain places, but its not constant as you wander around town like it is in SF. And the weather here is much more accommodating to being outdoors year round.

San Francisco is awesome in that you get the benefits of living in a truly dense city with the benefits of living in a beautiful natural setting with plenty of outdoor activities. SF is like if NYC and Boulder had a child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 09:16 PM

213 posts, read 404,168 times
Is San Francisco the best city in the U.S.?

No.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,086 times
I love SF because it is my hometown and it is one of the greatest and unique places in America. But, I am going to be completely dead honest about the things I don't like about The City in 2011. These are just my opinions:

1.) Weather- There are no seasons in SF. It is even cold in the summertime. When everyone else around the country is wearing shorts, San Franciscans are dressed like its Fall. It feels like Fall all year round in SF. I love wearing different clothes when the seasons change out here on the East Coast. When ever you get sick of one season, the next season of weather rolls in like clockwork. Every season is like a different state of mind. In SF, this is very much disrupted.

2.) Fashion- San Franciscans aren't the most fashionable bunch. They might have been once upon a time, but not today. SF might have its moments, but NY is on another level in terms of fashion. Almost everybody can dress in NYC and everybody's style is a little bit different. I wish I could say the same about SF. Sun-burnt White people with dreads with the standard Trustafarian uniform or ghetto kids rocking the super outdated hood uniform of oversized jerseys, huge all over print hoodies and baggy Girbaud shuttle jeans are all incredibly unsightly. But this is what you will see in SF. In DC and NYC, even kids in the ghetto wear upscale clothing that is up-to-date and fashionable. When I was a kid in SF in the 90's, this was also the case. The Hood was super fitted back then with custom Starter jackets and the latest crispest Nikes. But the hood in SF has definitely lost its swag so to speak. I love clothes and like shopping at many different places. SF's shopping definitely can't compare to New York. All in all, I think SF doesn't dress as well as it used to because most people living in SF today aren't from there. Of course people raised in podunks living in SF can't dress.

7. San Francisco and Silicon Valley - Worst-dressed cities in the world

Five Reasons San Franciscans Have No Style - San Francisco News - The Snitch

3.) Declining presence of Black people/urban culture- When I was growing up in SF in the 80's and 90's, there were a lot more Black folks in The City. Gentrification has all but wiped out most of SF's Black population. Black residents have been purposely priced out of San Francisco. Cities like DC and NYC are following SF's example by following a similar gentrification playbook.

Stuff Black People Don't Like - SBPDL: San Francisco Too? Black People Flee San Fran Because of Problems Caused by Black People

Not too long ago, Hunter's Point in SF was home to the largest concentration of Black-owned businesses and Black-owned real estate in the entire state of California in the 80's. Today, the Black middle class no longer exists in SF. The remaining hidden away dirt poor Black population residing in places like Sunnydale is just a sad sight. Back in the 80's and 90's, SF and the Bay Area were huge hubs of Black urban culture. SF and Oakland was definitely the place to be back then in terms of Black culture. Tupac sure did agree!

1991 2Pac Interview

Back then, SF and the Bay were coining all the new ghetto slang that spread like wildfire throughout the United States. SF was one of the biggest West Coast Hip Hop cities that was influential in pioneering the art of the independent rap hustle that inspired and nurtured big name platinum-selling era-defining national rap acts (before they blew up) who came to SF from other areas of the country to "soak up game" like UGK, Master P and The Game. It is not stretch to say that vast majority of music being produced by SF natives in the 90's was Hip Hop.

4.) Gentrification- It seems like SF has lost a lot of its original charm. Only a minority of people living in SF are natives. In 2011, I think many Bay Area natives prefer Oakland because it reminds them of how SF used to be 20 years ago. Outsiders are scared sh*tless of Oakland, so that city retains its authentic charm. SF is like a beautiful young starlet who got way too much plastic surgery and is no longer recognizable.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 10-19-2011 at 10:05 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 11:57 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I cant even think of any other city that comes close to SF.
Like everything else in life it's a mixed bag... there are pros and cons! So ultimately it boils down to matter of fit i.e. whether the city offers what you like.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Every season is like a different state of mind.
A bit like Multiple Personality Disorder.

If at least one of the seasons sucks (meaning, going outside at length is more effort than enjoyable), then it ain't worth it. Fortunately, the west coast is generally free of such ignominy.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:38 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Like everything else in life it's a mixed bag... there are pros and cons! So ultimately it boils down to matter of fit i.e. whether the city offers what you like
Awww. It sounds like somebody made some friends!

Sorry about that Indian Summer that never happened...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:48 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
I have been all over US and think that overall, despite the cost of living, this is the best city in USA. It beats NYC because SF is far more beautiful and the people and weather are a lot nicer.

I cant even think of any other city that comes close to SF.
You can cut down your cost of living significantly in SF if you choose not to own a car (just buy the monthly bus pass) and live in a safe but relatively "boring" part of town (i.e .Sunset.) My friend from grad school did this on a budget of only $1000/mo until he found a job (but granted, he had to downgrade his housing quite a bit until he found arrangements that fit his budget.)

Old 10-20-2011, 09:52 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,858,604 times
I have been to many places around the world and the US and I agree, San Francisco is the best city in the US, possibly in the Western Hemisphere. It's just the right combination of so many factors that make San Francisco such a wonderful and interesting city.

Yes, New York is bigger. But bigger doesn't mean better. SF is a better city than NY.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:12 PM

484 posts, read 822,473 times
It all depends on your criteria. I'm not a big fan of SF, primarily because of the weather. I would prefer greater variation in seasons and less fog and cold wind. I also think there are many cities that are more walkable than SF. Manhattan, for example, with its flat terrain and endless interesting sights is much better for walking than SF. And on a warm evening you can stop and relax in the parks as you go. The same for D.C.--flat, walkable, wide streets and sidewalks.

The ocean is too cold to swim in, which is a big minus in my book.

The museums in SF are also not terribly impressive, although it's nice to have our own symphony, ballet, and opera.

I also don't like the provincial and snobbish mindset here that is very inward looking. One reason why I enjoy driving to So Cal to visit my family is that, just by listening to the radio while you drive down I-5, you realize that there is a whole world of different viewpoints out there that are shut out by the rigid form of p.c. liberalism that holds sway in SF.

SF denizens are also a rather flaky and materialistic bunch, in my experience.

On the plus side, SF is probably the best restaurant city in the USA at the moment. And the views can be stunning just driving around getting chores done. The Victorian architecture is also very unique and pretty. And my daughter is a native of SF, which is probably its best feature!

All in all, I would not move here again (but I will tolerate it for the moment).

Old 10-20-2011, 02:40 PM

858 posts, read 2,236,713 times
Regarding corporate industry, I am glad it's not too corporate. It will ruin the vibe of this unique city. Who needs corporate when you have Silicon Valley next door and when this city gets the most venture capital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland