Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 07:22 AM

49 posts, read 201,242 times

Advertisements

Hi again---

I'm planning a trip out there to rent a house--rent, because I'm not set on a particular area yet...they all seem so different? I have a strange issue though.... My husband will be working in Napa however- he will need to travel a lot which means going to SFO a few times a week or month. I'm not sure which area to look at being that we want to be in-between the two places AND we want a nicer "upscale" (the only word that fit) neighborhood with good schools. I posted last week and got some great suggestions from everyone--but then my husband said he wanted to be close to SFO too I'm a South Florida (Jewish) girl and this move is starting to freak me out..... California was my dream place- but now after doing all this research ---how does one afford to live there?: I'm not an uppity person AT ALL. I just want my kids to be happy and I will need to make friends too!!!!! Any suggestions on neighborhoods that will be a decent commute to Napa or SFO Crazy ---I know...... Thanks to all that choose to reply to my rambling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 08:39 AM

426 posts, read 1,736,574 times
You might just have to accept not living in some homogenous, posh, suburban gated community like they have all around South Florida. You sound more like an Orange County girl.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Thanks for your thoughts....

Old 09-22-2007, 08:53 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Sorry, but nothing will be an easy commute to both SFO & Napa! Your best bet is to pick one, and find a nice community near that... for instance near SFO, I'd suggest Burlingame, Foster City, San Mateo, and so forth. If you really want to live in the MIDDLE, maybe try Berkeley, Oakland (Lake Merritt or the hills, particularly), Walnut Creek, or Pleasant Hill. But living in the middle means a bad commute both ways, so I'd rather just have 1 really long drive - know what I mean?

Old 09-22-2007, 09:16 AM

Thanks! I think I agree with you. appreciate your help!

Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Don't forget that the Bay has other airports besides San Francisco...

Oakland Airport is a major Southwest Hub and your husband may find it more convenient...

Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Yeah- but for some reason he said he can get more direct flights from SFO...But he may have to look into that. He covers the whole country now (wine business) so he needs the best possible flights!!! Not to mention his office is in Napa. It seems most people in his office live in Marin or walnut creek---- with others scattered in Napa. I just worry about schools in napa. Thanks for the advice

Old 09-22-2007, 10:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Piedmont, followed by Orinda have the best public schools... lot of parental involvement and always at the top scholastically.

San Francisco Airport is really very simple from Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Lafyette and Orinda via BART. I have very good friends that fly almost weekly from San Francisco, one lives in Pleasant Hill and the other in Orinda.

One of the shuttle vans would be your best bet if you choose the North Bay... there are several from Marin, Sonoma and Napa...

The commute North from Walnut Creek is not as bad as you might think... there is freeway a lot of the way and the new bridge is open.

All things being equal... I think I would hold-out for a nice home in the Napa Valley area... why commute?

Old 09-22-2007, 01:11 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,726,986 times
Sacramento has an airport. Check out areas between Napa and Sacramento such as Vacaville, Fairfield, American Canyon, Rio Vista, Woodland, Davis, Dixon, etc. Housing is cheaper there than in the Bay Area and commuting is a lot easier than having to go into the Bay Area and cross those bridges. In American Canyon near Napa, there is a fairly new developement called Hidden Brook which is a gated community with upscale homes around a golf course. This is near I-80 freeway, about halfway between SF and Sacramento (google that and see what you can find).

Last edited by humboldtrat; 09-22-2007 at 01:21 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM

33 posts, read 128,725 times
There are some nice gated communities in Fairfield such as Eastridge, Rancho Solano, and as mentioned above Hiddenbrook. These all would be a half way point to SF or Napa. They all have upscale housing and gated communities. I am sure you would be happy in any of the 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland