Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 14,227 times

Advertisements

Hi ! We are relocating to Walnut Creek / Lafayette/ Orinda area, not sure cause we are looking for a home to rent. My middle school daughter will be in public school. She is so worried about what the girls are like in this area. Are they nice ? Do the kids wear a bunch of designer labels ? Are the girls approachable ? I don't know what to tell her. She is a super sweet, quiet, girl who has lots of good friends here in San Antonio Texas. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Unless a lot has changed in 13 years then I'd say yes. Just normal kids, some good and bad. Most kids aren't stuck up and bratty in Walnut Creek, at least not as much as some of the surrounding wealthier communities.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:33 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,584 times
Both Lafayette and Walnut Creek are wonderful options for your daughter. I wouldn't say that the girls or boys are crazy about wearing designer labels. All of the kids look like kids and where nice appropriate clothes. What I've noticed is that kids have developed their own groups since most of them have been to school together for a long time so breaking into those groups and making friends can be a bit hard. You probably want to get her involved in some type of group setting and activities so that she can make friends right away. Being the new kid is always a bit hard.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-22-2009, 01:52 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,991,530 times
My son goes to middle school here and seems to be doing alright. It took him a while to make friends since he didn't grow up here and the "cliques" were already established..very tough on a pre-teen in general but seems to have finally settled.

The middle school in Lafayette offers some activity classes during lunch break which seemed to help that lunchtime anxiety when there's nobody to hang out with. No concerns about the kids or anything..as always, there will be good kids and the usual bratty 13yr old angst. My son hasn't really witnessed or had any experience with bullies or anything. Lots of cell phones and texting while crossing the street though! (Probably a national phenomenon, however.). Haven't noticed any designer wear on the girls (I wouldn't know the difference anway) other than the boys and their "DC" label or "skater" wear.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:01 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Probably Not.

But Middle Schoolers arent very nice anywhere.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

6 posts, read 14,227 times
Thanks for the feedback ! Really helps !

Old 04-22-2009, 04:58 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,100,903 times
Middle school kids are miserable no matter what area you're in.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Probably Not.

But Middle Schoolers arent very nice anywhere.
Very true! You couldn't pay me to go back

Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 PM

3 posts, read 16,391 times
Thank you .
How about in mountain side close tracy area.
How are housing out there please advice .
Thanks again .
VJ

Old 06-03-2009, 02:28 AM

19 posts, read 62,473 times
I am a parent in Walnut Creek and live down the street from Foothill Middle School in Walnut Creek, There is a good mix of kids, some very down-to-earth appearing. Walnut Creek tends to be more diverse than Orinda/Lafayette, and less snobby.

The middle school in Lafayette apparently has had history of drug problems, but now they apparently have very strict anti-drug policy with some success.

Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Moraga and Orinda have top schools by California standards, and the schools have high scores because of socioeconomic advantage (most of the kids are children of high-earning professionals). Since you are from Texas, you may be disappointed as the top-rated public schools in California may pale in comparison to an average school in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland