Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 08:22 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,927,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
I have nineties flava on ignore, but you did quote his post and he tried to paint MacArthur and 106 as some working class hood where only vandalism and break ins happen, and no violent crime occurs. That's completely wrong. There's a lot of gang activity in the area, and the violence can flash open in a second.

Here's an article of a guy who was literally gunned down at 11:30am in the morning in front of people:
Jason Chess fatally shot in East Oakland

That happened about a block or two from the area I'm describing. So it's obviously not "vandalism" or "break ins" only happening, people are getting shot up in the area.

One of the reasons I put nineties on ignore is because although he has a lot of knowledge of Oakland and the Bay in general, he tends to understate the danger of areas in Oakland that are KNOWN as dangerous. That's simply not fair to people who don't know about an area and are looking to potentially move into a neighborhood based on reliable advice from this forum community.
thanks. this was definitely in the western part of town and probably back in the 90's. i've maybe been to oakland 15 times in 40 years of living in the bay area. the port of oakland, the theater downtown, the oakland zoo. had no problem with those areas in those years (60's to 90's). but if i don't feel safe that is my criteria.

and no biggie but i'd say that poster is a she not a he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
thanks. this was definitely in the western part of town and probably back in the 90's. i've maybe been to oakland 15 times in 40 years of living in the bay area. the port of oakland, the theater downtown, the oakland zoo. had no problem with those areas in those years (60's to 90's). but if i don't feel safe that is my criteria.

I'm a guy.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:06 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:

The demographics have changed slightly since the 60s-90s, but in general, Oakland has more of a problem with Latino Gangs than during that time span you described. When it comes down to it, if I were going to move back to Oakland, I'd only stick to the known safe hoods, and avoid the ones generally known as shady even if people here are posting that they are "safe". Your tolerance level may be much lower than people who have lived in gang territory for many years.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
The demographics have changed slightly since the 60s-90s, but in general, Oakland has more of a problem with Latino Gangs than during that time span you described. When it comes down to it, if I were going to move back to Oakland, I'd only stick to the known safe hoods, and avoid the ones generally known as shady even if people here are posting that they are "safe". Your tolerance level may be much lower than people who have lived in gang territory for many years.
i'm sure you're right. i don't recall latinos living in oakland in those days. and gangs were not a part of any area that i've lived in.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:07 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
i'm sure you're right. i don't recall latinos living in oakland in those days. and gangs were not a part of any area that i've lived in.
Here's a good article about the latino gang problem in Oakland (note: I don't agree with the young woman's solution to the problem):
Element of racism among rival Latino gangs in Oakland - Inside Bay Area

Old 07-11-2012, 10:15 AM

25 posts, read 53,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman99 View Post
Every part of oakland is poor and high crime, even up in the hills on snake rd. I see tons of carloads of gangters (BGF= Big Gorilla Family) going up to rob white people in their houses on Snake Rd.
Wow, if you're going to slander Oakland then you should at least do a little research into what you're talking about.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:20 AM

25 posts, read 53,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Honestly I'd say your former brother in law was right... safety should never be taken for granted no matter where you are. That doesn't mean one should be paranoid but checking to see who's on the other side of the door before you open it doesn't fall in that category IMO.
Exactly. This isn't a sitcom, if someone knocks on your door then you should know who that person is before you let them into your house no matter where you are.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:38 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:

Latinos have been heavily in East Oakland since the 80's.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:56 AM

337 posts, read 733,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Latinos have been heavily in East Oakland since the 80's.
Latinos have been heavily in Fruitvale/San Antonio/Fairfax District probably since at least the mid-1960s. My mother graduated from Fremont High in Oakland in 1967. Looking at her yearbooks, at least 30% of the students were Latino. There were also a lot of Portuguese/Azoreans all over East Oakland at that time.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF510 View Post
Exactly. This isn't a sitcom, if someone knocks on your door then you should know who that person is before you let them into your house no matter where you are.
i guess you didn't even read what i said. but i'm not interested in arguing safety with some person on the internet. i've done just fine for 55 years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland