Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 07:43 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
so the new 49ers stadium, it was completely privately-funded, no taxpayer dollars involved? from other sources i've heard, read that there was public-funds, taxpayer dollars involved
Okay and there is a publicly financed ballpark in Downtown San Diego and a privately financed ballpark near Downtown SF. You can find examples of publicly financed sports venues in SoCal and 100% privately financed ones in NorCal. So I dont see why you are claiming some sort of regional differences regarding financing for sports venues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Okay and there is a publicly financed ballpark in Downtown San Diego and a privately financed ballpark near Downtown SF. You can find examples of publicly financed sports venues in SoCal and 100% privately financed ones in NorCal. So I dont see why you are claiming some sort of regional differences regarding financing for sports venues.
Well it's because i'm kinda getting at the fact why L.A. does not have an NFL team, why they lost the NFL and why the NFL still hasn't returned to L.A., because L.A. for a very long time did not see anything wrong with the Coliseum or Rose Bowl

Old 09-18-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Well it's because i'm kinda getting at the fact why L.A. does not have an NFL team, why they lost the NFL and why the NFL still hasn't returned to L.A., because L.A. for a very long time did not see anything wrong with the Coliseum or Rose Bowl
Yeah and that has nothing to do with differences between SoCal and NorCal.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM

51 posts, read 101,101 times
I really with the city of SF had worked something out to build a stadium village in Hunters Point like planned. Driving to Santa Clara is going to be a nightmare.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
[quote=WantToHaveALife;26135697]...The lack of a new, state-of-the-art stadium has also cost California the opportunity to host the country's biggest events.../QUOTE]

I don't know about that.
2 Olympics Games
7 superbowls
A couple of world series
3 World Cup soccer finals

Old 09-19-2012, 12:28 PM

56 posts, read 117,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom Point View Post
I really with the city of SF had worked something out to build a stadium village in Hunters Point like planned. Driving to Santa Clara is going to be a nightmare.
And for those of us without a car (I believe about 1/3 of San Francisco's population), well, I guess we are going to have to stay home. The new site has horrible connectivity to Caltrain and of course BART doesn't run nearly that far south. If I Google Map from my place in SF to the stadium site, and chose the public transit option, its telling me the best route is 3 hours one-way. Sounds like fun, huh? 6 hours round trip for someone that lives in San Francisco just to watch the San Francisco 49ers play.

I'm assuming (or at least, I hope) they will be running shuttles from the closest Caltrain station to the stadium, but I imagine even if they do that won't cut out much time, and will still be a nightmare to ride on.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:19 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard8 View Post
And for those of us without a car (I believe about 1/3 of San Francisco's population), well, I guess we are going to have to stay home. The new site has horrible connectivity to Caltrain and of course BART doesn't run nearly that far south. If I Google Map from my place in SF to the stadium site, and chose the public transit option, its telling me the best route is 3 hours one-way. Sounds like fun, huh? 6 hours round trip for someone that lives in San Francisco just to watch the San Francisco 49ers play.

I'm assuming (or at least, I hope) they will be running shuttles from the closest Caltrain station to the stadium, but I imagine even if they do that won't cut out much time, and will still be a nightmare to ride on.
Not as remote as Candlestick. About how many people get in there without a car?

The Santa Clara site was chosen with transportation in mind, and three hours sounds way overblown. Caltrain to Light Rail is pretty simple from SF. That site is served by six bus lines, Light Rail, Amtrack, is a few miles from Caltrain, is right between 101 and 237, and has 11 different highway interchange options to get into the parking lots. Should be plenty of ways to get in and out of there in reasonable time, unlike the one way in and out of the Stick.

Hunters' Point is thoroughly contaminated, past the point of making it cost-effective to clean it up and then build an expensive stadium on it, hoping nobody glows green from attending an event there.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:

I can guarantee you they will have shuttles from Caltrain and possibly up in SF. Caltrain will likely run special trains too, which is what I believe they do for Giants games. I highly doubt it will take 3 hours one way to get to a 49ers game from SF once the new stadium is built.

From where I live in the East Bay it probably will be the same and possibly even faster than getting to Candlestick, which is an absolute pain to get to.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:43 PM

51 posts, read 101,101 times
Quote:

It's crazy, from my condo in SOMA i'll be in traffic pretty much the entire way. Santa Clara is San Jose as far as I'm concerned.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
[quote=DinsdalePirahna;26161569]
Quote:
...The lack of a new, state-of-the-art stadium has also cost California the opportunity to host the country's biggest events.../QUOTE]

I don't know about that.
2 Olympics Games
7 superbowls
A couple of world series
3 World Cup soccer finals
i'm talking about for the Future, California will not host another Super Bowl until a new, modern stadium is built, or any of those other Future events, that was the past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland