Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 12:11 AM

13 posts, read 15,690 times

Advertisements

[quote=WantToHaveALife;26163633]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post

i'm talking about for the Future, California will not host another Super Bowl until a new, modern stadium is built, or any of those other Future events, that was the past
So? That is great. A football stadium is the most useless structure in a modern city. It is used 10 to 15 days a year, tops. It takes up a huge amount of space. We already have enough of these massive structures for billionaries to use as their playground for the rich. We don't need more. The only way it would make sense is if they were opened as parks for use during the 350 days a year they aren't used.

The NFL pays economists to do studies that make these rediculous claims about how much a Super Bowl benefits a city. Let's not fall for their propaganda.

Last edited by SpongeBobby; 10-13-2012 at 12:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I'm not going to argue that Candlestick is a better option for access, because it isn't great, either. But, I guess if they're going to spend all of this money building a new stadium, it would have been nice to make it so it wouldn't take San Franciscans 2-3 hours to get there.

I don't know what would have been a different option...I don't know where else they could build it...it just seems unfortunate to me that it's so far removed from the city the team's named after. I'm not a 49ers fan, so I'm not that broken up about it, but I do appreciate teams with a lot of heritage and history (of which, the 49ers do have a good amount of).
There are only so many cities that are stupid enough to build a football stadium. Santa Clara was about the only one. And the thinking is that moving to the southern part of the Bay Area is OK because
a) football fans are kinda crazy anyway - some will drive in from Reno or Sacramento, so what's another 45 minutes.
b) the population growth is taking place in the South Bay where the politicians are tearing down unused commercial buildings left and right to build condos and apartments. (It probably doesn't help that most of that population growth is from Asia, but maybe they can turn them into football fans).

Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I'm not talking about just Caltrain but buses that will offer a one-seat ride with no transfers and direct service to the new stadium. I can't imagine that one bus ride taking more than an hour on a Sunday morning.

Yeah it's going to farther for SF residents but likely more convenient for most people in the Bay Area. Only around 10% of the Bay Area lives in Sf and only about 25% of that 10% don't have a car.

Driving it's easily taken me well over 2 hours to get home to Walnut Creek because of how inaccessible Candlestick is. Welcome to having to deal with what much of the rest of the Bay Area has had to for over 40 years.

If SF residents were so concerned with a long commute via transit to Santa Clara then they should have never let them leave in the first place.
How much does a specialized bus from San Jose to a Candlestick park 49ers game cost?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
Super Bowls help the local economy, it sucks that California does not see the opportunity in that
Commercial buildings help the local economy. Every week of the year. Unlike a Super Bowl that would only help it 1 week a decade at best. See the difference?

Old 10-13-2012, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They might start doing what we do to get to Raiders games: Take the train, Amtrak in our case, on which you can relax with a sixpack and food on a table on the way up from SJ to the Coliseum, and join the tailgate when you get there, and a little more post-game while waiting for the return train. All fun, no driving! Niners fans getting a train straight to their new stadium would be awfully nice, as South Bay Raider Nation can attest to.
I like this. I would love to see the new 49ers stadium fill up with already drunk fans.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
I agree Candlestick is a dump, they need a new stadium,
Right, you can't expect a football stadium to have to sit on old concrete and steel. And there is no way in the world to refurbish a football stadium. That can only be done in residential and commercial buildings.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Which is why it makes no difference to many of us. Plus there are multiple ways in and out of the South Bay unlike SF.

I can't imagine how bad it was to leave the Candlestick last year on the Sunday of fleet week when the Niners played and the Italian Heritage Festival was going on at the same time of the Blue Angels. Took me over 2.5 hours to get to Walnut Creek from the waterfront.
Good to hear. When the public has to pay for these billionaire playgrounds for the rich, we want to know that the people that use them are suffering a little.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
They're not using public funds for the stadium:
[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/sports/football/49ers-get-stadium-financing.html[/url]
[url=http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/05/us-usa-49stadium-idUSTRE8230DZ20120305]San Francisco 49ers stadium deal nears goal line | Reuters[/url]

I don't blame SoCal people for not wanting to subsidize a business owners' new digs either. They'll need to find corporate support like the 49ers and Giants did for their new Bay Area venues.
Did you even read the articles??? There is nothing in either that says there is no public funds. In the second it says

Quote:
Support from the city will also include up to $35 million from a 2 percent hotel room surcharge and a $42 million parking garage. The city redevelopment agency was also slated to provide $40 million, though that is now in doubt due to a statewide phase-out of redevelopment.
That quote isn't even correct. The city threw as many millions of RDA funds to the team as quick as they could to keep them from the State. And then the 49ers went to court and got some judge to give them the rest, overturning a vote by a county board that would have directed those property tax dollars to be used for normal property tax purposes. Ultimately the 49ers settled for half of the remaining 30 million:

[url]http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_21278028/san-francisco-49ers-south-bay-schools-settle-3[/url]

You may wonder why a football team would put up 400 million or so, get 600 million or sofrom season ticket holders and corporations and then want to give ownership to a city that will put up only around 100 million. The answer is massive tax shelter. Huge tax shelter on property taxes for 40 to 60 years. Huge tax shelter on 600 million in income from the season ticket holder buying seat license and corporations buying rights to have their name on the stadium or sell stuff in the stadium.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-13-2012 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: tried to correct URL - doesn't want to be fixed

Old 10-15-2012, 01:46 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobby View Post
billionaire playgrounds for the rich
Done repeating your San Jose Inside rant over and over in here? Are you going to call all the people who go to events at the new stadium a bunch of rich friends of billionaires, or shall we acknowledge that a lot of hardworking people enjoy events like football, soccer, Xtreme sports, concerts, etc., and will gladly attend such at the new venue? There will be more than "10-15" events at this place per year, btw.

We get that you hate football and football fans, and that you think every development should be another commercial building, but have you had a look at the marketplace for commercial space throughout SV lately? Seen the massive vacancies along North First Street in SJ? We don't need more empty tech campuses, we need what are there filled. The new stadium isn't displacing any businesses. In fact, businesses that cater to the crowds that will show up ought to do pretty well in the immediate area, so it should be seen as an opportunity to cash in on.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeBobby View Post
There are only so many cities that are stupid enough to build a football stadium. Santa Clara was about the only one. And the thinking is that moving to the southern part of the Bay Area is OK because
a) football fans are kinda crazy anyway - some will drive in from Reno or Sacramento, so what's another 45 minutes.
b) the population growth is taking place in the South Bay where the politicians are tearing down unused commercial buildings left and right to build condos and apartments. (It probably doesn't help that most of that population growth is from Asia, but maybe they can turn them into football fans).
What the South Bay needs is a futbol (footie) stadium - oh wait, that is also being built.

Meanwhile the Niners will move into their made-for-TV studio, and all us priced out plebes will soon forget about them.

Silver And Black is looking better and better (in spite of the complete lack of a running game).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland