Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM

35 posts, read 151,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yepisaidit View Post
not to nitpick but i feel like an early adopter is anyone who starts doing something before the wider population catches on. you don't have to be the 1st person but you do have to do it before its "cool." last time i checked people aren't really moving to oakland as much as they are moving to sf. sf has tons of competition for apartments. i am not saying that oakland doesn't have demand, because it does, but the average person is still trying to move to sf 1st before oakland. with that being said i definitely think in the next 5/6 years that will change. i still think people who are moving to oakland while many of the shops are still closed downtown are early adopters because we get to watch the progress happen
If you're talking about transplants coming to SF before Oakland, fine. Long-time residents of San Francisco have been moving to Oakland for some time. It has already caught on as a good deal with even some aspects that are better for some preference. With respect to the definition, I would say the wider middle-class SF population, the population that is interested in Oakland, has caught on already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:16 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,845,334 times
Quote:
the average person is still trying to move to sf 1st before oakland.
The average person can't even approach affording SF, without cramming a bunch of people in a cubbyhole.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,107 times
Among people with school age children, I'm more aware of people moving from San Francisco to Berkeley. But if you don't have school age kids, then the real or perceived problems with the Oakland schools need not trouble you.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:36 PM

8 posts, read 11,454 times
you should move to 85th ave & International blvd. It's a great area. you'll love it there.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:50 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlite View Post
But if you don't have school age kids, then the real or perceived problems with the Oakland schools need not trouble you.
I guess that's true. But it does have an effect on property values, and in general who your neighbors are.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 AM

386 posts, read 797,624 times
When I was single, I lived in SF. After I married, we moved to Oakland and bought a house. We've been here 17 years. No regrets.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
Quote:
not to nitpick but i feel like an early adopter is anyone who starts doing something before the wider population catches on. you don't have to be the 1st person but you do have to do it before its "cool." last time i checked people aren't really moving to oakland as much as they are moving to sf. sf has tons of competition for apartments. i am not saying that oakland doesn't have demand, because it does, but the average person is still trying to move to sf 1st before oakland.
Yes, more people who are brand new to the Bay Area initially move to, or at least try to move to SF. If you were living in Des Moines, Iowa and considering moving to Oakland, maybe you could call yourself an early adopter because there are probably far more people in Des Moines who contemplate moving SF than Oakland. Moving to SF first, then decamping to Oakland after a few years to seek lower housing costs, is not new - it's practically a cliche.

Quote:
with that being said i definitely think in the next 5/6 years that will change.
Oakland will never be the city in the Bay Area that people from other parts of the country think of ahead of SF as a place to move to, and prices will balance out somewhat but Oakland will always be cheaper.

Quote:
i still think people who are moving to oakland while many of the shops are still closed downtown are early adopters because we get to watch the progress happen
I honestly wish you well with your move. I would recommend that when you get here you spend less time talking about how much of an early adopter you are when you meet Oaklanders.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM

493 posts, read 783,510 times
or just drop the title-conscious mentality all togehter, thatll work.

i understand thats why alot of people move here, but at some point i'd have to imagine its not worth trying to play the one-up game anymore

Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,786,132 times
families with kids wanting to live in the urban core have been moving to the affluent areas of oakland and sending their kids to private school for years and will continue to do so because the oakland house below would cost $1.5 million + in san francisco.

the new people moving to oakland are the young hipster types who have revitalized areas like temescal and uptown
mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 10-26-2012 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Hi,

Has anyone left the city and moved to Oakland? If so, where in Oakland and how to you like it?

I consider myself an early adopter and I think that with the price and demand of SF housing skyrocketing but the supply decreasing, that more and more SFers will be moving to Oakland to save money and increase their standard of living. I want to move to Oakland while rent is relatively "cheap," so that I can be grandfathered into nice places. I have been watching Oakland for a few years and I have noticed a few things.

1. More and more "middle class" people have been moving to Oakland. Lake Merritt is gorgeous and downtown Oakland is busling with a great bar and restaurant scene.
2. Oakland is advertising itself as the new SF with diversity to lure startups and businesses there
3. Oakland is trying to revitalize itself around the arts scene

What do you all think about me moving to Oakland? Do you think that Oakland is making progress?
I moved here just over a year ago and have no regrets. There are tons of things to do with families and I have found it to be very friendly.
I do think Oakland is making progress (due to the economy, it is very slow progress though). Since I have lived here, they have been making some renovations to improve south side of Lake Merrit. Go along to the North side on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The place is always heaving with young families, joggers, musicians, dancers etc. It has a great vibe.
I also think it is wonderful how the art murmur is encouraging young artists. Oakland has a thriving art scene.
The weather is better here. I have not turned my heating on since about February. The last two times I went to SF it was foggy and freezing.
If you do need to go to SF you can be there in 20 minutes (on a good day), so really you are not missing anything. In the whole year I have lived here I have only gone shopping in San Francisco once and that was for something very specific. I'm actually surprised how little I visit SF. You can get everything you need here. Plus you have Berkeley and Walnut Creek just a short distance away. I visit both of those far more than I visit SF.
I live near Piedmont Ave - a great shopping street (inc Fentons Creamery) plus a fantastic hospital. It is very convenient to get to anywhere from there. Its very close to College Avenue which is also wonderful for shopping / eating and a 10 min drive to Emeryville for your larger goods.
Oakland has a long way to go. But from what I've seen, I don't think its problems are any different to SF. To me, the cost of living in SF isn't worth it. Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland