Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times

Advertisements

I have no political background. I am an MD though, and I'm old and look good in a suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
I'd take an MD background over a political background any day lol.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:30 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
If the problem is no one wanting to run for mayor, hmmmm maybe I should run since I already have a fan base in Oakland . Seriously though, one of you should consider it if the choices are really so limited that there is no one better than Quan. Make Oakland the most business friendly city in California. Use that new revenue to hire back all the laid of police officers and actually give them the power to clean up the streets with a stop and frisk ability.

bmw 2014!
The best candidate far and away was John Russo, but he doesn't seem interested, despite his passion for the city. I guess he just got sick of the BS, especially from Quan and her "personal attorney" (who subsequently also quit Quan).

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
The main fallacy of the article is that it ignores the big chunk of Oakland that's in the middle.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Montclair, word of advice, READ the article before making a thread about it!

"...or perhaps those enjoying the scene in Rockridge, Lake Merritt and Jack London Square view the violence as akin to occurring in a separate city that does not affect them (though shootings in the latter and robberies in the former make this sentiment unlikely)."

Seriously, why are you surprised that my posts in this thread are about the three points the author made. I'm sure you read the title of the article, then read the first couple sentences and thought it was an article praising Oakland. READ THE ARTICLE BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR NEXT THREAD! LOL
You have regurgitated these same things a few times now but dont really address what Im saying.

You say we have our heads buried in the sand because we are can rattle off a long list of things we love about living here and equate that to mean that we are unaware of the crime rate???

Then when I tell you how and why this issue does not affect many Oaklanders, you simply refer me back to what you already stated.

LOL

The bottom line is we enjoy our city unapologetically and I think that peeves the sensibilities of outsiders who have already cast judgement on Oakland--and that's their problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc
My platform: Fiscal austerity, increase police force,decrease reliance on federal funds, increase district school quality through reform and increased funding (transferred from other pork programs)
1 The city has no money, you cant get more austere than broke.

2 Increased policing requires money sherlock.

3 Decreasing reliance on federal funds??? HOW EXACTLY IS OAKLAND MORE RELIANT THAN OTHER CA CITIES WITH 300,000-500,000 PEOPLE? Once again, Double Standard.

4 The Oakland Unified School District has seen noticeable improvements in test scores and across the board API improvements. Furthermore, Oakland is in the 700 range as far as districtwide API. That's the same as San Jose, San Diego, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Sacramento, Long Beach and Fresno. Oakland's school woes are really no different from any other big city in CA, but the difference is our problems are magnified disproportionately by the media.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:47 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
The main fallacy of the article is that it ignores the big chunk of Oakland that's in the middle.
That expanding area is the most interesting part of the city imo.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
What do you mean by "ignoring the big chunk of Oakland" in the middle?

Old 12-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

1 The city has no money, you cant get more austere than broke.
It's called deficit spending. You know, the $30,000,000 (and increasing) short fall that Oakland currently has?

Here's an educational article where you read about it, and learn what the term means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deficit_spending

Old 12-05-2012, 11:54 AM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
You have regurgitated these same things a few times now but dont really address what Im saying.

You say we have our heads buried in the sand because we are can rattle off a long list of things we love about living here and equate that to mean that we are unaware of the crime rate???

Then when I tell you how and why this issue does not affect many Oaklanders, you simply refer me back to what you already stated.

LOL

The bottom line is we enjoy our city unapologetically and I think that peeves the sensibilities of outsiders who have already cast judgement on Oakland--and that's their problem.
I simply refer you back to the article YOU posted .

I don't understand why you would post an article like that and then criticize anyone that speaks about the problems the author talks about. That is why I recommend you to read the article in full before posting next time, so you don't accidentally post another article that focuses on the negatives of Oakland.

add: It's like me posting an article about San Francisco's homeless problem and then criticizing every member that criticizes San Francisco's homeless problem.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Also Oakland schools aren't doing well:
School Rankings for the City of Oakland, CA

Check out all the orange.

Compared to Lafayette:
School Rankings for the City of Lafayette, CA

All green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland