Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,014,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Agreed.

It's always funny to hear these types of conversations go anywhere except personal responsibility to explain the cause of poverty and disparity in certain communities.
Exactly. If where I lived was full of gang shootings everyday, you bet your dollar I'd be pushing the politicians to do something about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM

326 posts, read 529,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Are we going to revert to the old saws about how the poor want to be poor, and the unemployed don't want to work?
Certainly not.

But lets put it this way: would you ever come across someone's beautiful front yard and say "Gee, you're so lucky to have such a beautiful front yard?" No. That would be ridiculous, because everybody knows that someone took some considerable time and effort to make that garden what it was.

In the same light,I believe that personal life choices have consequences. Nobody made the residents of EPA have the lifestyle and crime rate that they do. I'm glad to see that it is improving now by the way.

Last edited by Tomlcsc; 12-07-2012 at 03:43 PM..

Old 12-07-2012, 03:51 PM

26 posts, read 42,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomlcsc View Post
Certainly not.

But lets put it this way: would you ever come across someone's beautiful front yard and say "Gee, you're so lucky to have a beautiful front yard?" No. That would be ridiculous, because everybody knows that someone took some considerable time and effort to make that garden what it was.

In the same light,I believe that personal life choices have consequences. Nobody made the residents of EPA have the lifestyle and crime rate that they do. I'm glad to see that it is improving now by the way.
That's a very strange analogy. And I don't think anyone doesn't think personal life choices don't have consequences. I think that's pretty obvious and universal. I mean, if you run around screwing everything without protection I can't imagine you're going to get much sympathy when you end up with the clapper. But I don't think those who live in impoverished areas have as much autonomy as, say, me or you. And to say, "just go to your politician" is being very naive. Keep in mind that many areas, like EPA, have a large migrant population including, I would assume, a large undocumented population; hardly a politically engaged group (unless you count that bellend SF Supe Avalos). This isn't meant to open up the floodgates of an immigration reform discussion. It's just pointing out the reality. Furthermore, situations that we all deal with on a day to day basis (putting food on the table, troublesome family structures, general stress) are exacerbated under the conditions of poverty.

Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 PM

326 posts, read 529,851 times
You're absolutely right man.

I guess I was painting with a pretty broad stroke to say that all the problems with EPA are lifestyle choice related but I still certainly think that plays a pretty big part.

I'm sure there's quite a few people living in EPA right now who are just looking for cheap housing in the Bay Area, and I completely understand that.

Friends?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
Places are "dumps" because of the people there.
I was just talking about this today, many middle-class areas in the Bay Area and California in general look like the slums in various cities in Texas, Colorado, Florida, Utah (examples). It's the people that make an area seem like a dump or ghetto etc.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM

26 posts, read 42,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I was just talking about this today, many middle-class areas in the Bay Area and California in general look like the slums in various cities in Texas, Colorado, Florida, Utah (examples). It's the people that make an area seem like a dump or ghetto etc.
I would imagine it also has to do with when the housing was built. There's a certain style (1950's, maybe?) that seems to lend itself to a rundown look - not unlike those horrid brutalist concrete blocks from around the same time. Aesthetically, the housing in the East Oakland flatlands don't look much different from the flatlands of Belmont or San Mateo or San Bruno on the other side of the bay. They both look rundown (that might be a bit strong - dated?) despite having very different populations, demographics, socioeconomic status, et cetera. I also think places like Texas and Utah have the benefit of space. Being waterbound in an expensive area, many middles class families are stuck in these '50's housing tracts. In Texas, they could probably move to a more "modern" development.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,777,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatton Yeah? View Post
I would imagine it also has to do with when the housing was built. There's a certain style (1950's, maybe?) that seems to lend itself to a rundown look - not unlike those horrid brutalist concrete blocks from around the same time. Aesthetically, the housing in the East Oakland flatlands don't look much different from the flatlands of Belmont or San Mateo or San Bruno on the other side of the bay. They both look rundown (that might be a bit strong - dated?) despite having very different populations, demographics, socioeconomic status, et cetera. I also think places like Texas and Utah have the benefit of space. Being waterbound in an expensive area, many middles class families are stuck in these '50's housing tracts. In Texas, they could probably move to a more "modern" development.
I agree, visually-speaking North Central San Mateo is very similar to a lot of East Oakland.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM

24,411 posts, read 27,025,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonatton Yeah? View Post
My point is dumps are created by the people who live there, not the actual homes. A middle-tier home in San Mateo looks like a lower tier-home in Orlando. However, in San Mateo those homes are usually well taken care of and so are their lawns. In Orlando, those homes look run down and their lawn has junk all over them etc. They don't care about their homes or community because in that area, those homes are considered lower-tier. That's what I mean by people create dumps, not the actual homes or communities.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM

207 posts, read 703,598 times
Quote:
that's a lot of places actually.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:08 AM

102 posts, read 170,344 times
Quote:
My point is dumps are created by the people who live there, not the actual homes. A middle-tier home in San Mateo looks like a lower tier-home in Orlando. However, in San Mateo those homes are usually well taken care of and so are their lawns. In Orlando, those homes look run down and their lawn has junk all over them etc. They don't care about their homes or community because in that area, those homes are considered lower-tier. That's what I mean by people create dumps, not the actual homes or communities.
First off, even a low tier house in San Mateo is vastly nicer than a lower tier house in Orlando. This in large part due to the city and county ordinances, which are fairly strict in San Mateo, which have kept the lots a certain size, house additions proportional, the streets lined with mature trees, and yards free of weeds and junk for the most part. It is not necessarily because of the people. EPA just needs some stricter enforcement of these ordinances, but I imagine fighting crime rightfully takes priority and code violations have taken a back seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland