Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM

326 posts, read 529,610 times

Advertisements

mod cut

In San Francisco, I rarely see cops, even in the TL. I've only been to Bayview once so I can't say for there.

Crime rates aside in regards to Oakland, I honestly prefer not to have such a high police presence in my day-to-day. I've always kind of felt like cops should be around to stop real crime, not issue speeding tickets and fix-it tickets.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-28-2012 at 03:08 AM.. Reason: orphaned, off topic, mass delete

Old 12-27-2012, 10:45 PM

63 posts, read 149,414 times
mod cut No one on this thread has denied that Oakland can be a dangerous city. In fact, I can not recall anytime in my lifetime that I have heard anyone say that Oakland was not a relatively rough city. That's all anyone talks about when it comes to Oakland.

However, insinuating that Oakland should be learning how to stop its problematic rates of street violence from a city that has seen a 100% increase in homicides in 2 years is absolutely ridiculous. mod edit

mod cut

Also, on another note, it's interesting that I gave a very detailed answer to the question you initially asked when you started this thread and you don't seem to have taken any of what I had to say into consideration at all. Was your initial question rhetorical?

Perhaps you didn't get the answer you wanted. Maybe you would have preferred if people had responded with "I know San Francisco and everywhere else is so safe while big black Oakland is so dark and scary. It's because of the culture over there that they have. We don't have those problems in San Francisco, we all drive Bentleys and fly to work in our helicopters".

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-28-2012 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the comment you refer to has been deleted

Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 AM

14,689 posts, read 14,662,025 times
The OP refuses to respond with any form of intelligent discourse on the subject he/she presented, which is why this thread really doesn't deserve the attention it's getting.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:50 AM

12 posts, read 18,324 times
I'm a he first of all, second I asked you Oakland residents a question and you're derailing my topicmod cut

By the way 3 more people were killed last night.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-28-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: no discussion of moderation in forums

Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thugocracy View Post
mod cut No one on this thread has denied that Oakland can be a dangerous city. In fact, I can not recall anytime in my lifetime that I have heard anyone say that Oakland was not a relatively rough city. That's all anyone talks about when it comes to Oakland.

However, insinuating that Oakland should be learning how to stop its problematic rates of street violence from a city that has seen a 100% increase in homicides in 2 years is absolutely ridiculous. mod edit

mod cut

Also, on another note, it's interesting that I gave a very detailed answer to the question you initially asked when you started this thread and you don't seem to have taken any of what I had to say into consideration at all. Was your initial question rhetorical?

Perhaps you didn't get the answer you wanted. Maybe you would have preferred if people had responded with "I know San Francisco and everywhere else is so safe while big black Oakland is so dark and scary. It's because of the culture over there that they have. We don't have those problems in San Francisco, we all drive Bentleys and fly to work in our helicopters".
Oh Really? I guess you haven't been reading much of the other Oakland threads. There are quite a few Oakland boasters here that are crime deniers. They always paint a rosy picture of the city and the only defense against the crimes is to point out another city's crimes.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:25 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1110
Exactly,

90% of homicides and shootings occurred within 8% of the city last year. Cumulatively, over a 5 year average, they occur in 20% of the city.
Please don't try to put into perspective. It clearly upsets those who want desparately to throw a huge blanket over the entire city. Just leave them be...

Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,767,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragontales View Post
Oh Really? I guess you haven't been reading much of the other Oakland threads. There are quite a few Oakland boasters here that are crime deniers. They always paint a rosy picture of the city and the only defense against the crimes is to point out another city's crimes.

What is "rosy" about the fact that the majority of Oakland is not the warzone that fear-mongering posters on this board paint it to be? And what exactly isn't rosy about the fact that these same posters brush off San Francisco violent crime as only ocurring in "tiny easily-avoidable parts of the city" when in reality two of the most dangerous neighborhoods in San Francisco - The Tenderloin/Civic Center and The Mission - are in fact not avoided and not tiny (just the opposite)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Daisy View Post
I'd also like to add, Oakland is majority lower income and run down. SF has tiny pockets you have to go out of your way to get to. Oakland has huge large flat area's of impoverished crime filled area's. With pockets of decent ones, it's the opposite of SF in that regard.
That's an actual straightforward case of denial: denial that high-crime areas in San Francisco are not in fact all very small or avoidable and denial that the majority of Oakland is not lower-income and run down.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM

63 posts, read 149,414 times
Quote:
I'm a he first of all, second I asked you Oakland residents a question and you're derailing my topic, luckily Sam does a great job removing it.
You are the one who derailed your own topic. First you, for some reason, started a topic ostensibly about Oakland by bringing up San Francisco. Then you brought up San Jose and its wonderful homicide doubling policies out of nowhere.

Quote:
Wasn't the topic of the thread that you started a question about WHY Oakland has a high rate of violence? Or was this just a thread to show that homicides happen in Oakland? I'm pretty sure everyone here has acknowledged that violence is relatively common in parts of the city of Oakland.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Please don't try to put into perspective. It clearly upsets those who want desparately to throw a huge blanket over the entire city. Just leave them be...

Quote:
God bless those families..

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,572,805 times
Speaking of SF, I heard this really interesting report on KCBS while I was driving home from work yesterday.

KCBS Cover Story: The Dangers Of Living In SF’s Sunnydale Housing Projects « CBS San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland