Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:08 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
What does this question have to do with the point of Ruth's post?

Like I said, you and jade need to go back and read her post (all the way through), think about it for a few minutes, and then respond based on what she actually wrote instead of whatever argument you two have made up in your mind.
mod cut
Everything as neither you nor her have a leg to stand on as you're talking about something you know little about. Everything you say on this subject is now irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 04:12 PM

515 posts, read 1,004,803 times
As I'm reading this post, I was on a 9 car richmond train that only had 4 cars with open doors; couldn't walk between cars either. We get to macarthur about a minute ahead of another richmond train. Operator tells everyone to transfer to other train since another door wasn't closing.

Other richmond train starts to take off but stops and sits in station for another minute. Then it leaves without opening up. Then the original train leaves.

Best part was the operator saying "if it's too crowded, wait for the next richmond train." Cars were jam packed...oh, except the empty, locked ones.

Never had so many problems with public trans as with bart

Old 01-26-2013, 09:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No you just didn't understand my initial point. Maybe you are the one having comprehension problems.

I said the same thing in other posts on this thread and in many others in this forum.
Your initial post and your "second" response are nothing alike. You brought up the "Pittsburgh" line when she was discussing an overall systematic capacity.

mod cut

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-27-2013 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: knock it off and debate the idea and not the person

Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
As I'm reading this post, I was on a 9 car richmond train that only had 4 cars with open doors; couldn't walk between cars either. We get to macarthur about a minute ahead of another richmond train. Operator tells everyone to transfer to other train since another door wasn't closing.

Other richmond train starts to take off but stops and sits in station for another minute. Then it leaves without opening up. Then the original train leaves.

Best part was the operator saying "if it's too crowded, wait for the next richmond train." Cars were jam packed...oh, except the empty, locked ones.

Never had so many problems with public trans as with bart
Exactly. This is what ruth is talking about. BART doesn't have the operational funds to operate all cars/trains to 100% capacity. Yes, a few trains are standing room only, but that doesn't explain why some trains are locked/empty at all except if you consider that BART has continuously had budget short falls for the past 15 years.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:27 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Exactly. This is what ruth is talking about. BART doesn't have the operational funds to operate all cars/trains to 100% capacity. Yes, a few trains are standing room only, but that doesn't explain why some trains are locked/empty at all except if you consider that BART has continuously had budget short falls for the past 15 years.
It sounds like the person was talking about a mechanical issue with the train cars. Why would BART attach empty locked cars to a train in operation?

Also do you have any evidence of these operational budget shortfalls over the last 15 years?

Last edited by Sam I Am; 01-27-2013 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: mod cut - please...

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
I was gone for six weeks and took BART to work for the first time this morning. 8:15 SF bound train in Oakland was absolutely insane. Where did all these people come from??

Old 01-31-2013, 11:58 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
I was gone for six weeks and took BART to work for the first time this morning. 8:15 SF bound train in Oakland was absolutely insane. Where did all these people come from??
If you want an empty train you need to wait until at least 920

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM

71 posts, read 340,777 times
A few months ago I was on a train that was headed to Daly City that was having the car I was riding in about to be locked until it was repaired. The problem on that particular car was too many lights going out inside. It was sent back to the East Bay as a locked car. Probably at the end of rush hour is when they took the time to remove the car from the train, as swapping out cars in the middle of rush hour might cause delays. Hopefully they can afford to better maintain the cars so that problems are caught earlier, and locked cars are a rare event. Getting more cars for BART in the new order will also be helpful so cars that are in need of repairs don't have to be in service, and during rush hours 10 car trains could be run on all lines (probably the less used Fremont lines will warrant 10 car service once the extension to San Jose is open).

Old 02-06-2013, 10:42 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
As I'm reading this post, I was on a 9 car richmond train
See, "capacity" would be if the trains were running with 6-9 cars. But they're not. Often, BART runs 4-car trains. Just because those are jam-packed doesn't mean the system has reached capacity, far from it.

It sounds like there are major maintenance problems w/existing cars, too. That's a budget issue, along with purchase of new cars. So I suppose we could agree that fiscally, BART is struggling to keep up with demand. This is true. If it were fully-funded, though, these problems would vanish.

Public transport just isn't a priority in America. I think this undermining of public transport is a symptom of overall economic problems.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
See, "capacity" would be if the trains were running with 6-9 cars. But they're not. Often, BART runs 4-car trains. Just because those are jam-packed doesn't mean the system has reached capacity, far from it.

It sounds like there are major maintenance problems w/existing cars, too. That's a budget issue, along with purchase of new cars. So I suppose we could agree that fiscally, BART is struggling to keep up with demand. This is true. If it were fully-funded, though, these problems would vanish.

Public transport just isn't a priority in America. I think this undermining of public transport is a symptom of overall economic problems.
BART has a $7.5 BILLION dollar capital expenditures budget deficit. We're stuck with those trains for at LEAST 10-20 more years. By that time they will be approaching 70-80 years old in design.

Last edited by DocGoldstein; 02-07-2013 at 09:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland