Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:28 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,011,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Maybe you should contact Metrolink if you care so much. But I'm guessing you don't and just want to argue
No I want to know what the risk is. You said that you're more likely to die on Metrolink. Well, what are the statistical chances based on data?

I think you should qualify your point with actual data instead of guesses. It makes your point cheap, and unverifiable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
No I want to know what the risk is. You said that you're more likely to die on Metrolink. Well, what are the statistical chances based on data?

I think you should qualify your point with actual data instead of guesses. It makes your point cheap, and unverifiable.
Then contact Metrolink if you really want to know what the risk is and share the results. I already did quantify the data and the result will be the same no matter what metric you look at, BART is safer than Metrolink PERIOD.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:34 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
I can agree with this.

I would still like to see improvements to BART trains in terms of safety, and overall accessibility. Seeing someone with crutches, or a wheel chair travelling on BART just seems like a nightmare.

The tables would be nice, but even a more modern design that isn't so noisy, is that too much to ask? Travelling under the transbay tube can actually cause hearing loss.

Noise on BART: How bad is it and is it harmful? - SFGate

BART is much more wheelchair accessible than most light rail systems. The seating for example on Muni is more limited than BART. In San Diego, the platform isn't even at the same level; the operator has to lower a lift in much the same way buses do and the seating is even more limited. What hurts BART is when the elevators go out.

As far as noise, this seems to happen when both light and heavy rail systems age. When I rode BART in the 80's and 90's, it was quieter than today. The San Diego Trolley was once almost silent but today sounds like the BART did 20 years ago. What does seem to quiet things down is when the tracks are in gravel. When the tracks are on the bare concrete they become very loud, I noticed this on both of the aforementioned systems. Another thing adding to BART's noise are the engines in most cars. They are louder than the used to be. At one time entire trains made little more than that distinct buzzing sound you hear in some cars. Not the high whining, swishing sound you hear now.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:35 AM

Here's some more data on what a waste of money Metrolink is:

Operating Expense per Vehicle Revenue Mile
BART: $7.11
Metrolink: $15.71

Operating Expense per Vehicle Revenue Hour
BART: $253.79
Metrolink: $621.57

Operating Expense per Unlinked Passenger Trip
BART: $4.05
Metrolink: $14.29

source: ntd

If only BART was as wasteful and inefficient as Metrolink...

Old 01-15-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Then contact Metrolink if you really want to know what the risk is and share the results. I already did quantify the data and the result will be the same no matter what metric you look at, BART is safer than Metrolink PERIOD.
How much safer?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
I think it might help people in the East Bay if we had a new BART line or maybe an LRT that ran along this route with these stops.

#ifiwerekingoftheworld LOL

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
BART is much more wheelchair accessible than most light rail systems. The seating for example on Muni is more limited than BART. In San Diego, the platform isn't even at the same level; the operator has to lower a lift in much the same way buses do and the seating is even more limited. What hurts BART is when the elevators go out.

As far as noise, this seems to happen when both light and heavy rail systems age. When I rode BART in the 80's and 90's, it was quieter than today. The San Diego Trolley was once almost silent but today sounds like the BART did 20 years ago. What does seem to quiet things down is when the tracks are in gravel. When the tracks are on the bare concrete they become very loud, I noticed this on both of the aforementioned systems. Another thing adding to BART's noise are the engines in most cars. They are louder than the used to be. At one time entire trains made little more than that distinct buzzing sound you hear in some cars. Not the high whining, swishing sound you hear now.
Well, I know it's technical, but BART is actually classified as a heavy rail system.

That being said, I'm basing my comparison against Metrolink which is also a heavy rail system.

Metrolink is much more accessible to wheel chair users.
Metrolink is much much quieter than BART, even at high speed.

I've been on the San Diego trolley system through little Italy. It doesn't seem like a serious commuter rail system to me.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I think it might help people in the East Bay if we had a new BART line or maybe an LRT that ran along this route with these stops.

#ifiwerekingoftheworld LOL
Yes! pretty much like I was saying in the fantasy bart thread. Name 98th Oakland Zoo since it's actually right there but yeah, I agree.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Well, I know it's technical, but BART is actually classified as a heavy rail system.

That being said, I'm basing my comparison against Metrolink which is also a heavy rail system.

I've been on the San Diego trolley system through little Italy. It doesn't seem like a serious commuter rail system to me.
I think you mean the metro. Metrolink is a commuter train. And remember the metro is quite a bit newer than BART. Let's see how quiet it is in 20 years or so.

LA metro
http://assets.inhabitat.com/wp-conte...es-537x358.jpg

Metrolink
http://la.streetsblog.org/wp-content..._metrolink.jpg

Metrolink also has a light rail but not heavy rail

Old 01-15-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:

ummm NO, Metrolink is a COMMUTER RAIL system like Caltrain. The San Diego Trolley is a LIGHT RAIL system like Muni Metro. All three (BART, SDT, and Metrolink) have different power systems and types of vehicles. And only BART is completely grade separated.

Also I wouldn't say Metrolink is more wheelchair accessible considering you could only board at certain doors as the platforms aren't level with the doors like BART is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland