Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:22 AM

18 posts, read 66,054 times

Advertisements

How many people in the San francisco bay area are religious? And by religious i mean gos to church almost every sunday, wears a cross, prays before a meal in public, etc. I ask because i know the sf bay area is known for its liberal culture. And how are religious people treated in the bay area? does it also depends where u are in the bay area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
There are plenty of religious people here, but if you're looking for a cult-like religious culture you find in parts of the bible belt where an entire town attends the same church, you probably won't find it here.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
There are plenty of church goers in the Bay Area. However most of the Bay Area has achieved a secularism the rest of the nation should be with.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:20 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,038,659 times
I do think that in many parts of the Bay Area there is definitely an anti-religion sentiment among many people. I'd say especially in places like Berkeley/Oakland/SF it tends to be the most noticeable.

The Bay Area also has a strong live and let live mentality though, so if religious people are openly practicing their religion but not forcing it down peoples' throats, they'd be very unlikely to encounter harrassment.

There are plenty of churches/temples/synagogues, etc. all over the Bay Area that always have a full house during service. The South Bay alone is home to a few Christian mega churches (thousands of members each with multiple services).

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM

359 posts, read 329,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
There are plenty of church goers in the Bay Area. However most of the Bay Area has achieved a secularism the rest of the nation should be with.
haha yeah ok

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,895 times
As long as you're not trying to force your religion on others, nobody is really cares about your religion whatever that might be. Its the way it should be everywhere.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:05 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,987,173 times
Plenty of churches around of all denominations...can't see why people wouldn't be in them on Sundays.

I knew plenty of people in San Francisco that went to mass/church every week...I couldn't tell you how religious they were though. Many people attend church but don't necessarily believe every aspect of it...those kinds of things aren't really announced.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
I do think that in many parts of the Bay Area there is definitely an anti-religion sentiment among many people. I'd say especially in places like Berkeley/Oakland/SF it tends to be the most noticeable.

The Bay Area also has a strong live and let live mentality though, so if religious people are openly practicing their religion but not forcing it down peoples' throats, they'd be very unlikely to encounter harrassment.

There are plenty of churches/temples/synagogues, etc. all over the Bay Area that always have a full house during service. The South Bay alone is home to a few Christian mega churches (thousands of members each with multiple services).
This is true but the churches in these cities, well I can speak for Oakland and Berkeley are still well attended. As a non denominational Christian I occasionally drop into a church when I need that experience. Almost any type of church will do for me. In these cities people do attend in numbers larger than one would expect if we rely only on what we read.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:08 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esamer90 View Post
How many people in the San francisco bay area are religious? And by religious i mean gos to church almost every sunday, wears a cross, prays before a meal in public, etc. I ask because i know the sf bay area is known for its liberal culture. And how are religious people treated in the bay area? does it also depends where u are in the bay area?
When I lived in the Bay Area, almost every religious person (according to your description above) I knew was Korean.. a stark contrast to living in the Midwest where the average American was that devout.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,752,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood912 View Post
haha yeah ok

I'd have to agree with Gentoo... in too may parts of the country religious beliefs gets mixed with politics when they have no place there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland