Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

I can see the logic behind this...especially since they are 'rebuilding' their company.

Marissa Mayer ends Yahoo's work-from-home policy - Feb. 25, 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 02:02 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,717,464 times
People still Yahoo!?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:23 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
I understand. We're a small high-tech subsidiary that employs about 35 people. Only a few of us are in the office full-time, software engineers, IT and myself, in logistics; the rest work at field sites. Production and all the warehousing is in Europe. 80% of the engineers and customers I work with are in other states and mostly other time zones. You would think that telecommuting would be a no-brainer. After all, almost all of our activity happens somewhere else, so it doesn't matter where I'm working from, right?

Not so. Not even if it was just me in the office. If I was at home, it made people feel as if they couldn't reach me or as if I wasn't working, so they put me on the back burner and put my issues last. That really started to hurt after a while. As soon as I started coming in early to call my European counterpart before she left for the day, and to get ahead of the issues on the East Coast, everything changed. Things started to get done that were like pulling teeth before. And I didn't change anything else. I was still the same guy, and my work ethic didn't suddenly improve.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,041,147 times
Marissa Mayer is on to something here.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM

23,545 posts, read 24,049,201 times
I believe that it will affect morale negatively at Yahoo. Telecommuting is usually offered as a "perk" to improve and sustain morale.

If remote workers get the job done, why not?

Old 02-25-2013, 05:17 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,955,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I believe that it will affect morale negatively at Yahoo. Telecommuting is usually offered as a "perk" to improve and sustain morale.

Those that don't like it can quit.

Since when is telecommuting a perk to improve and sustain morale? It was never designed to do that. Telecommuting or teleworking was designed to afford businesses a way to reduce resource use and maximize work periods of employees. If employees benefited at the same time, that is nice but purely coincidental.

Employee work hours and locations should be optimized to benefit the business. If businesses need to compete for workers, businesses will reorganize their operations to allow telecommuting and employees will also benefit but never forget that the priority is the business. Without the business, just where are those teleworking employees going to get their paychecks from?

Let the employees at Yahoo quit if they think they can get a better deal somewhere else. There are a lot of people willing to replace them. Time to cull the herd. Those that don't like it can start their own business and lets see which ones want their employees to telecommute.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:57 PM

224 posts, read 454,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Those that don't like it can quit.

Since when is telecommuting a perk to improve and sustain morale? It was never designed to do that. Telecommuting or teleworking was designed to afford businesses a way to reduce resource use and maximize work periods of employees. If employees benefited at the same time, that is nice but purely coincidental.

Employee work hours and locations should be optimized to benefit the business. If businesses need to compete for workers, businesses will reorganize their operations to allow telecommuting and employees will also benefit but never forget that the priority is the business. Without the business, just where are those teleworking employees going to get their paychecks from?

Let the employees at Yahoo quit if they think they can get a better deal somewhere else. There are a lot of people willing to replace them. Time to cull the herd. Those that don't like it can start their own business and lets see which ones want their employees to telecommute.
I don't know what you do for a living but as an engineer I can tell you the climate now is different. While it's true that it's about the business, there is more demand than supply now. Given that yahoo is still considered a good company(though significantly weakened) they will be able to replace people that left. Will they be as good? I'm leaning towards no. Telecommuting is seen as a perk by engineers and the best and brightest usually know what they can get. Recruiters are banging at the door of at least decent engineers so businesses need to be as competitive as they can now to attract top talent, which is what I believe yahoo and mayer strongly prefer.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:19 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,601,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
People still Yahoo!?
Thats my question

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,519,936 times
Great way to get rid of slackers!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM

224 posts, read 495,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post

It's viewed as a perk because these people can avoid work and do what they want during the day while getting paid I think this is a good move and if it upsets you, you can leave. The working from home thing, I believe, is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Imagine the dread-- going to the office FIVE.DAYS.A.WEEK. Aaaaaahhh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland