Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which touristy SF thing(s) have you never done?
Ridden a cable car 12 26.09%
Visited Alcatraz 30 65.22%
Gone to Fisherman's Wharf (except for an In & Out burger) 1 2.17%
Walked over the Golden Gate Bridge 17 36.96%
Gone up Coit Tower 15 32.61%
Seen Beach Blanket Babylon 30 65.22%
Wandered through Chinatown 1 2.17%
Driven down Lombard St. between Hyde and Leavenworth 6 13.04%
Browsed the faux hippie shops in the Haight 8 17.39%
Other (please specify) 2 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,146,509 times

Advertisements

I have done them all except going up in Coit Tower. I have been up on Telegraph Hill, but never up in the tower. I took my mom to Beach Blanket Babylon when she came to town. It was a real riot! I'd go again. Also, I ride a cable car home from work every evening. Two of them, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 PM

538 posts, read 1,194,630 times
I hit 4 most (least?) popular categories - I guess I'm predictable. Love the cable cars, especially with the MUNI pass.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:21 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,095,788 times
Done all of those except BBB, I'm not a fan of musicals at all.

Alcatraz is definitely pretty awesome and I'd recommend anyone to go. I hate touristy or corny things, but fortunately they have a really well-done audio tour, narrated by former guards and with interview excerpts of former prisoners. Plus the ferry ride is pretty sweet. Definitely worth the $18 or whatever it is these days.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:54 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,743,138 times
I didn't even know you could go to the top of Coit Tower, haha.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM

37,159 posts, read 42,316,813 times
Been here my whole life (50+ years) and never walked the bridge. I only got up to Coit Tower last year and then ended up going again a few weeks later when I saw Beach Blanket Babylon for the first time. Got to see it during the day AND at night, wonderful! Went to Alcatraz once, when my kids were in elementary school. Everything else I did as a kid/young adult.

I did work in the city for about 8 years so it's not like I'm a stranger to SF, but the tourist stuff only occurs when I go with a visitor, and that rarely happens.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:59 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parti Rhinocéros View Post
I'm dying to know what happened? Did you guys hit a wall?
Husband kept his head, and used the hand brake and 1st gear. After we hit straight land the brakes sorta came back, and we hightailed it to the mechanic....

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

227 posts, read 539,274 times
It's easier to list what I HAVE done:

1. Saw BBB
2. Gone to Fisherman's Wharf
3. Sort of gone up to Coit Tower (not all the way, but half way)

I've done nothing else on the list.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:43 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,555,796 times
I had to count the things I have done:
- Alcatraz
- Fisherman's Wharf
- Golden Gate Bridge
- Lombard Street
- Haight Shopping

Ironically, I did all these things before I became a Bay Area resident! As a resident, I haven't done anything on the list.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM

622 posts, read 1,148,065 times
I've not done four on the list:
  • Gone up Coit Tower
  • Seen Beach Blanket Babylon
  • Walked across Golden Gate Bridge
  • Visited Alcatraz
What's funny is that I drive up to Coit Tower quite a bit. If I have a ZipCar for the night and I'm nearby, I just love the view. Maybe it's due to the budget issues but they need to trim those trees back a bit.

As for the Golden Gate, brrrrrrrrr, not going to do it. Thank you.

I also drive to Marin just for a change of pace and used to all the time when I had a car. I loved heading up to Mill Valley and having a meal and checking out the shops. I did that every few weeks. I don't think I'll ever walk across that bridge because I just don't want to. I'll drive and check out the view from Sausalito or Tiburon instead.

No interest in seeing Beach Blanket Babylon, tradition or not.

I do, however, want to take a tour of Alcatraz. I've just not gotten around to it yet.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,560,359 times
I grew up on the edge of the Bay Area and went to the city on the weekends all the time, had family in San Francisco and Oakland for years, lived briefly in SF and stayed with my brother when he lived in Oakland--and never went to Alcatraz. I remember a bunch of times as a kid, my dad deciding at the last minute to maybe go to Alcatraz and then seeing the huge line. Then we'd just end up going to Scoma's at Fishermen's Wharf for cioppino or Hunan Homes in Chinatown to eat.

I can't remember if I ever went on a cable car as a little kid, probably did, but I really only remember riding a cable car on a more recent trip to the city a few years back. I remember walking over the Golden Gate Bridge as a kid on a particularly windy and cold day--and everyone complaining about how cold it was. Beach Blanket Babylon I've never really had much interest in seeing. I finally went up Coit Tower when I went back for my cousin's wedding in 2004...

Last edited by Deezus; 04-10-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland