Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which touristy SF thing(s) have you never done?
Ridden a cable car 12 26.09%
Visited Alcatraz 30 65.22%
Gone to Fisherman's Wharf (except for an In & Out burger) 1 2.17%
Walked over the Golden Gate Bridge 17 36.96%
Gone up Coit Tower 15 32.61%
Seen Beach Blanket Babylon 30 65.22%
Wandered through Chinatown 1 2.17%
Driven down Lombard St. between Hyde and Leavenworth 6 13.04%
Browsed the faux hippie shops in the Haight 8 17.39%
Other (please specify) 2 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:15 AM

314 posts, read 488,129 times

Advertisements

I havent seen Beach Blanket Babylon (and dont care to), nor have I seen the "crookedest" street portion of Lombard. The one thing that sticks out most is having never been on a Cable car. Amazingly, I've done all of the other things.

P.S. Coit Tower is a massive ripoff. I went once on a hike through SF, ending at Sausalito and I wont go again. You dont really see anything from the Tower and there are much better vistas elsewhere in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 05:21 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,996 times
pch1013, you helped teach me something new about myself:

In all my years here, I've never made any effort to include a San Francisco landmark in a photo. Tourists pose their travel mates with the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Coit Tower and other local icons in the background. On visits to their cities, I'd likely act the same way. Here, I've never thought of doing that ... and that's decidedly non-touristy behavior, that I hadn't been aware of until I saw your post. Thank you!

I've never seen Beach Blanket Babylon, but have done everything else on your list.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,141,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelacious View Post
It's easier to list what I HAVE done:

1. Saw BBB
2. Gone to Fisherman's Wharf
3. Sort of gone up to Coit Tower (not all the way, but half way)

I've done nothing else on the list.
You went half-way up Telegraph Hill, then. There is an elevator in Coit Tower to ride to the top of it.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:40 AM

326 posts, read 529,785 times
Coit Tower is fun to visit but I've never actually paid to go on the top. However, the nearby Telegraph Hill neighborhood is a must-see neighborhood to walk through imo.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:09 PM

1,229 posts, read 3,247,793 times
Don't remember whether it was BBB or Alcatraz that was last on my list but I've done them all. Always thought that eventually (I've been here for many decades) visiting family or friends would want to go. Eventually happened with BBB, while wife and I went to Alcatraz on our own. Both are worth a visit.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:41 PM

14,705 posts, read 14,677,787 times
Never saw BBB (and didn't know it was a "thing") or walked across the GGB (always seemed like a good way to freeze to death). I've never been to Tahoe or Yosemite either, which are still on my to-do list.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:39 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,467 times
On my first, just-a-tourist visit I walked over the Golden Gate Bridge, hiked up Telegraph Hill (but skipped Coit Tower itself), and wandered through Chinatown. I did go to Fisherman's Wharf but only for In & Out.

Since living here I've walked Lombard between Hyde and Leavenworth (no car), and went to Alcatraz when someone came to visit. Occasionally go through Fisherman's Wharf for various things but haven't really visited it, proper.

Still haven't been to the Haight at all, much less hippie shop browsing. No interest in BBB or the cable cars. They look like death traps to me.

Old 04-13-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
On my first, just-a-tourist visit I walked over the Golden Gate Bridge, hiked up Telegraph Hill (but skipped Coit Tower itself), and wandered through Chinatown. I did go to Fisherman's Wharf but only for In & Out.

Since living here I've walked Lombard between Hyde and Leavenworth (no car), and went to Alcatraz when someone came to visit. Occasionally go through Fisherman's Wharf for various things but haven't really visited it, proper.

Still haven't been to the Haight at all, much less hippie shop browsing. No interest in BBB or the cable cars. They look like death traps to me.
You sound like you're doing well. Don't be afraid of The Haight and Cable Cars, though. Both are great on a sunny day. Treat visitors to BBB and don't be surprised if you enjoy it yourself.

Other touristy things that should be on the list:

Bar hopping in The Castro

Dining at a cafe in North Beach

Drinking absinthe at Vesuvio (Jack Kerouac haunt on Columbus)

Tasting and shopping at the Ferry Building--bonus if on a Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday with the added outdoor farmers' market

Ride the ferry to Sausalito or Tiburon for brunch

Hippie shopping/dining on Telegraph Ave. in Berkeley

Hiking through Muir Woods

Taking in the view from Twin Peaks

Irish coffee at The Buena Vista

Tiki drinks at Tonga Room

Attend the Pride Parade

What else am I missing? How many of these have you done?

Last edited by dalparadise; 04-13-2013 at 10:01 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM

37 posts, read 91,284 times
A trip to City Lights Bookstore should be on that list!

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelle_SF View Post
A trip to City Lights Bookstore should be on that list!
Absolutely. And yes, I have done that one many times--so many that I don't even think of it as a touristy thing to do anymore.

How about:

Touring Grace Cathedral

Drinks at the Top of The Mark

Biking up the Marin Headlands

Heading to Point Reyes for oysters on a sunny Saturday at picnic tables, shucked bayside.

A day in Golden Gate Park, touring the DeYoung Museum, Conservatory of Flowers, gardens and attractions.

A walk around the Palace of Fine Arts

Pacific Ocean sunset dinner at Cliff House after checking out Ocean Beach, Sutro Baths and/or Lands End

Sunday morning drag show/brunch at the Starlight Room

Dim Sum and trinket shopping in Chinatown

Ride the F street cars down Market and around the Embarcadero, stopping to shop, sightsee, drink and eat at Fisherman's Wharf, North Beach, Telegraph Hill, The Ferry Building, Market Street/Union Square/Theater District, Castro/Duboce Triangle/Hayes Valley/Mission--all for $2.00 if you show your Muni transfer to the driver with enough confidence.

Anything else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland