Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 12:04 PM

159 posts, read 646,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If I recall correctly, you live on Bair Island on a development that's built on infill, similar to Redwood Shores and Foster City.

Because of the way they do this infill now, these areas are not prone to liquefaction risk, unlike areas like the Marina in SF which were done using outdated techniques.
Just moved to Redwood Shores actually. Love it here, but someone mentioned the whole liquefaction thing to me yesterday and got me worried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
OP, when I lived in Seattle, my place was built on sand, but when the 2001 earthquake hit, at 6.8 on the scale, my place was unfazed, as was the surrounding neighborhood. It must take a really strong quake to cause liquefication. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,492 times
The most valuable earthquake information page I've discovered to date remains:

ABAG Earthquake and Hazards Program

... which includes links to pages on shaking potential, as well as liquefaction.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM

536 posts, read 573,899 times
You have a greater chance to injure yourself in a slip and fall event than you have to be involved in an earthquake with a liquification event and being injured or killed.

Slip-Fall Statistics

So, as I said, I'd not make my biggest investment, a house purchase in a liquification area. But I'd be comfortable in an apartment with reasonable prudence and knowledge of what to do in an earthquake.

So, in an earthquake, get in a doorjam away or a sturdy table from glass windows if possible, and ride it out. If the building comes down, them's the breaks. I do believe the worst risk in a liquification event is settlement of the house with possible collapse, you won't actually be in quicksand like conditions or floating away. USGS describes it as like wiggling your toes in the sand at a beach.

Earthquake Glossary - liquefaction

If you consult your gut, and that's to much risk for you, then don't buy or rent in a liquification zone.

Earthquakes | Ready.gov

Earthquake insurance is recommended in the Bay Area generally.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
You have a greater chance to injure yourself in a slip and fall event than you have to be involved in an earthquake with a liquification event and being injured or killed.
Yes, not to mention: a car accident. Personally, I have a somewhat irrational fear of lightning. And I didn't know it when I moved to NM, but NM is the 2nd most active lightning corridor in the US, after the Florida Panhandle. So the chances of being struck by lightning are relatively high here, it does happen. But I'm still here, alive and kicking! This, after growing up in the Bay, one of the more active earthquake zones on the planet. So....meh. Like Simba said, in Lion King, "I laugh at danger! HAHAHAha!"

Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 PM

536 posts, read 573,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, not to mention: a car accident. Personally, I have a somewhat irrational fear of lightning. And I didn't know it when I moved to NM, but NM is the 2nd most active lightning corridor in the US, after the Florida Panhandle. So the chances of being struck by lightning are relatively high here, it does happen. But I'm still here, alive and kicking! This, after growing up in the Bay, one of the more active earthquake zones on the planet. So....meh. Like Simba said, in Lion King, "I laugh at danger! HAHAHAha!"

LoL. Well I went with slip and fall because everyone pretty much takes that next step figuring they will be ok, and don't worry about getting injured when walking about.

I hope my post is reassuring and not frightening, haha.

If anyone ends up in a fetal position unable to take another step, I am very sorry.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
No, the worst that will happen is I DIE.
Sometimes, the worst that can happen is you live.

Sorry, the Zen escapes in print sometimes. Be happy

Old 05-01-2013, 07:09 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,365,101 times
Saw the title. Thought this was going to be about living next to a bar.
But speaking of earthquakes, I live on a boat. Don't feel quakes. My home's foundation is already liquifacted.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thechoson View Post
Was checking out these maps here:

Liquefaction Hazard Maps

And I live along the Bay in the danger area in a multi-level apt complex. Should I move ASAP?
Yes, get out as fast as you can, leave everything, just go!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,957,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
Snip

So, as I said, I'd not make my biggest investment, a house purchase in a liquification area. But I'd be comfortable in an apartment with reasonable prudence and knowledge of what to do in an earthquake.

So, in an earthquake, get in a doorjam away or a sturdy table from glass windows if possible, and ride it out. If the building comes down, them's the breaks. I do believe the worst risk in a liquification event is settlement of the house with possible collapse, you won't actually be in quicksand like conditions or floating away. USGS describes it as like wiggling your toes in the sand at a beach.
end snip
Right, so in what part of the USA would you say is a good place to make that biggest investment? Pick the location and there is a calamity waiting.

Do not get in a door jam or under a sturdy table. Those have already been proved to be the best place to get killed in an earthquake. People who survived? The people next to sturdy objects but not under them.

Yellowstone is about to destroy everything from Montana to Iowa before doing in every place else. Hurricanes on the East coast. Tornadoes in the midwest, north east, south east and south, tusunami's from Alaska to San Diego, floods from Illinois to Louisiana, any place near the Great Lakes? Tornadoes and wall winds not to mention blizzards to stop entire tri state areas.

Oh no, liquefaction. For that try not the SF Bay Area but back east because they had more of it.

Really, another thread about where to live and earthquakes and related?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland